Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Other Seki Made

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here is my latest pick up. Another Cattaraugus by A.G. Russell from Seki Japan. A Hawbaker Muskrat in beautiful brown jigged bone with scrolled bolsters. Mirror polished springs make this one simply elegant. Main blade is ATS-34. Loving these Cattaraugus knives. I will post my others later.
Attachments
IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1657.jpeg
IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Here is a United Cutlery Seki Made sunfish Knife. This one shows the skill that the Japanese knife makers have when it comes to inlays. These are all shell or semi precious stones, each one hand cut, polished and skillfully crafted into this beautiful scene. Over 300 individual inlays. I’ve never seen another one like it. Mark side and pile side are both inlayed with the same scene. I owned this for awhile and sold it to another AAPK member.
Attachments
IMG_3614.jpeg
IMG_3619.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are two more that arrived today. A Benchmade Marbles by Tak Fukuta in buffalo horn handles. Another Cattaraugus sleeveboard Whittler. Love the mirror polish on the backsprings.
Attachments
IMG_1665.jpeg
IMG_1671.jpeg
IMG_1673.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1678.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Beretta knife made by Master Ichiro Hattori with Quince Burl wood. Has the tapered tang like so many well made fixed blades which gives it incredible balance.
Attachments
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5226.jpeg
IMG_5227.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An A.G. Russell baby bullet in stag. Made in Seki Japan early 90’s. Mirror polished backspring and liners. Tight fit on the blade backspring runup.
Attachments
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1718.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg
IMG_1721.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another A.G. Russell that I just picked up. Made in Seki Japan.
Attachments
IMG_1776.jpeg
IMG_1777.jpeg
IMG_1781.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

That is a stunning knife, really nice stag. The previous one is also very nice.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I would agree MM. Is that a Philips head screw driver on the knife or a punch. I can't quite make it out. ::shrug:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

doglegg wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 pm I would agree MM. Is that a Philips head screw driver on the knife or a punch. I can't quite make it out. ::shrug:: ::tu:: ::tu::
That’s a Phillips head screwdriver.
I must saw I gasped a little when I first saw this. The stag is beautiful and very unique. Here is another picture of the end of the knife, they left a flair in the stag on the bare end. It really gives this a unique look and feel.
Attachments
IMG_1782.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got this Cattaraugus cutlery large toothpick. Made in 1988 in Japan for the KCC. They only made 300 of these total. The first 25 were premium grade and the next 275 were excelsior grade. This one is serial number 69. The etching is gold washed. This knife is not sharp, it was made to be a display piece but it could be sharpened and used easily. Note the mirror polish on the back springs. That feature, the bone and the fit and finish, have driven me to collect these in earnest.
Attachments
IMG_1858.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1863.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Two Coleman knives, both are 5 blade Sowbellies. Made in Seki Japan in the late 80’s or early 1990. They made 1000 of each pattern and handle material. The knives are serial numbered and I believe the first 100 were marked “1st Production Run”. So far I have only seen this blue and stag for handle materials. If anyone else has more information to share, that would be great. I read, so I am not certain, that the makers Tak Fukuta and G. Sakai had a hand in the design of these. Again, if that is incorrect, please correct me.
These knives are just top notch and well made w/ great fit and finish. These 5 blade Sowbellies are big knives. They are heavy, thick and come in at about 4 1/2”. I thought I would resell these but I am loving these so much, I am thinking of collecting more for my own collection.
Attachments
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg
IMG_1917.jpeg
IMG_1918.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I just got this little AG Russel Cattaraugus tiny toothpick the other day off ebay
DSCN6149.JPG
DSCN6151.JPG
DSCN6152.JPG
DSCN5258.JPG
DSCN5259.JPG
DSCN5261.JPG
and this Bulldog ground hog some time ago from Kennedy knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Dogleg, nice on both counts. Those Cattaraugus toothpicks are just a fine looking and well made knife.
That Bulldog is probably one of the most useful knives ever made.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thank you SSK, I'm proud of both of them. I was attracted to the bolster lock on the tiny toothpick. Interesting. ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An A.G. Russell lockback made in the early 90’s in Seki Japan for the KCC. Black Micarta handles w/ a red spacer between the handle and the bolsters. Stainless blade, liners, pins and bolsters. The hollow pin for the bail or lanyard is brass and protrudes a bit on one side. If I wasn’t afraid of damaging it, I would tap that in a bit and it would seat perfectly.
I thought for a bit that this was buffalo horn until I was able to finally focus on the rings of the Micarta, having a bit of trouble w/ my eyesight again. It’s bigger than I thought it would be at almost 4 inches closed OAL.
Attachments
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1941.jpeg
IMG_1942.jpeg
IMG_1943.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Put these up on another thread. Thought I would post this here. Master Seizo Imai made this before his passing in 2014. This is an ivory handled Loveless City knife. The blade is stainless Damascus, as are the bolsters.
Attachments
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got these 4 Coleman slip joints in Saturday. One thing I have noticed about the ones marked “first production run” is that they have a higher polish on the backsprings, giving them a near mirror polish. Made in Seki Japan around 1990 for Coleman. I made a deal on all 4 of these because these had such a nice dark blue color on them. Very sharp looking.
Attachments
IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1990.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg
IMG_2003.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A few more made in Seki. Regent Aristocrat. A folding hunter lockback by Master Hiro.
Attachments
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Two more that have me very excited. One is by A.G. Russell a Loveless design made of stainless and pearl. One of those knives you just oooh and aaahh over. The run up on the backspring and blade is tight like any Seki knife, just gorgeous. The Next one is a Pacific Cutery, which became Benchmade and this knife has the Benchmade logo on it. It’s one of those transitional knives that is important to the history of Benchmade. This knife is so aggressive looking. The handle shape is designed for a secure grip for using in an offensive manner. The swedge on the blade gives it an aggressive look like a dagger. I like this one. My plan is not to sell these two, but like I always say, everything is for sale, at a price.
Attachments
IMG_2022.jpeg
IMG_2024.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg
IMG_2033.jpeg
IMG_2034.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An art knife by Master Hiro. “Zipangu” is another name for Japan. This looks like a scene of Mt Fuji. I have Mt Fuji on other knives from Japan and it’s always beautiful. The blade is VG-10 San Mai, you can see the layers in the right light. The handles are aluminum. Mark side is laminated and the back side is anodized. Pocket clip and linerlock make this a useable knife, if you wanted. The thumbstud has a turquoise stone on it.
Just couldn’t pass this one up.
Attachments
IMG_2044.jpeg
IMG_2041.jpeg
IMG_2042.jpeg
IMG_2045.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’ve been picking up a lot of Coleman knives. Bought a collection of them last week and selling about half and keeping half. These tiny trappers are the show stopper for me. The stag is beautiful. The size is just right and the fit and finish is incredible. The Congress is fine too. I will post some of the other patterns in the future.
Attachments
IMG_2109.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I cannot figure out how I have overlooked this thread until now. ::doh:: I have seen one or another of these knives on your other thread, but here are many outstanding knives I ought to have been aware of earlier. Great acquisitions Mark.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:56 am I cannot figure out how I have overlooked this thread until now. ::doh:: I have seen one or another of these knives on your other thread, but here are many outstanding knives I ought to have been aware of earlier. Great acquisitions Mark.
The quality of these Coleman’s is so impressive I bought a lot more. Feel the quality is so good that I want to offer them in my store. So I bought 28 Coleman knives to resell. Hope collectors will give these a try. The price is reasonable enough on these.
I have gone hog wild collecting A.G. Russell, Cattaraugus knives. When I hunt for my own collection, I tend to go overboard, obviously.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another Coleman, stag copperhead. Beautiful pearl Bulldog.
Attachments
IMG_2129.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”