Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Put these up on another thread. Thought I would post this here. Master Seizo Imai made this before his passing in 2014. This is an ivory handled Loveless City knife. The blade is stainless Damascus, as are the bolsters.
Attachments
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got these 4 Coleman slip joints in Saturday. One thing I have noticed about the ones marked “first production run” is that they have a higher polish on the backsprings, giving them a near mirror polish. Made in Seki Japan around 1990 for Coleman. I made a deal on all 4 of these because these had such a nice dark blue color on them. Very sharp looking.
Attachments
IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1990.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg
IMG_2003.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A few more made in Seki. Regent Aristocrat. A folding hunter lockback by Master Hiro.
Attachments
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Two more that have me very excited. One is by A.G. Russell a Loveless design made of stainless and pearl. One of those knives you just oooh and aaahh over. The run up on the backspring and blade is tight like any Seki knife, just gorgeous. The Next one is a Pacific Cutery, which became Benchmade and this knife has the Benchmade logo on it. It’s one of those transitional knives that is important to the history of Benchmade. This knife is so aggressive looking. The handle shape is designed for a secure grip for using in an offensive manner. The swedge on the blade gives it an aggressive look like a dagger. I like this one. My plan is not to sell these two, but like I always say, everything is for sale, at a price.
Attachments
IMG_2022.jpeg
IMG_2024.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg
IMG_2033.jpeg
IMG_2034.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An art knife by Master Hiro. “Zipangu” is another name for Japan. This looks like a scene of Mt Fuji. I have Mt Fuji on other knives from Japan and it’s always beautiful. The blade is VG-10 San Mai, you can see the layers in the right light. The handles are aluminum. Mark side is laminated and the back side is anodized. Pocket clip and linerlock make this a useable knife, if you wanted. The thumbstud has a turquoise stone on it.
Just couldn’t pass this one up.
Attachments
IMG_2044.jpeg
IMG_2041.jpeg
IMG_2042.jpeg
IMG_2045.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’ve been picking up a lot of Coleman knives. Bought a collection of them last week and selling about half and keeping half. These tiny trappers are the show stopper for me. The stag is beautiful. The size is just right and the fit and finish is incredible. The Congress is fine too. I will post some of the other patterns in the future.
Attachments
IMG_2109.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I cannot figure out how I have overlooked this thread until now. ::doh:: I have seen one or another of these knives on your other thread, but here are many outstanding knives I ought to have been aware of earlier. Great acquisitions Mark.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:56 am I cannot figure out how I have overlooked this thread until now. ::doh:: I have seen one or another of these knives on your other thread, but here are many outstanding knives I ought to have been aware of earlier. Great acquisitions Mark.
The quality of these Coleman’s is so impressive I bought a lot more. Feel the quality is so good that I want to offer them in my store. So I bought 28 Coleman knives to resell. Hope collectors will give these a try. The price is reasonable enough on these.
I have gone hog wild collecting A.G. Russell, Cattaraugus knives. When I hunt for my own collection, I tend to go overboard, obviously.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another Coleman, stag copperhead. Beautiful pearl Bulldog.
Attachments
IMG_2129.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mark, all the Coleman knives (even the ones made in China) have "1st Production Run" etched on the back of the main blade. I have yet to own or see one that doesn't have it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:01 pm Mark, all the Coleman knives (even the ones made in China) have "1st Production Run" etched on the back of the main blade. I have yet to own or see one that doesn't have it.
Jerry, I have several that do not. And I see a slight difference in the polish on the backsprings. The ones that are marked w/ 1st production run have a mirror polish and the others have less. Here is a picture of a stockman that doesn’t have the “first production run” stamp. Bottom is a Congress marked “first production run” and that stockman. There is a difference in these for sure. I now have about 30 of them and this is the obvious difference. Plus the stag is richer and the color on the blue is darker. At least on the ones that I have.
Attachments
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2122.jpeg
IMG_2125.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2125.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mark, that comment came from a small sampling of the eight I have or have had, plus a few I've seen on eBay. The comment was in no way meant to be diss'in Coleman's. I very much like the few that I have.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm Mark, that comment came from a small sampling of the eight I have or have had, plus a few I've seen on eBay. The comment was in no way meant to be diss'in Coleman's. I very much like the few that I have.
I didn’t think you were diss’ing Coleman’s at all. I know you like them. I remember you posting one a year ago or so. That’s what got me looking at them in first place.
It’s hard to get exact numbers on the first production run and the rest. So far I have seen blades marked “First Production Run”, “One of 1000” and no stamp at all. I have also seen some w/ serial numbers stamped on them w/ the same serial number on the box. The most knowledgeable person I have found on these doesn’t know and he sold them in 1990 when they were new in his store.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So there we go. Get on down, get on down the road. ::handshake::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are some Japanese made knives by some of the lesser known masters. The first one is a b&t knife in white steel Damascus with desert ironwood handles made by Yuta Katayama Second one is a Higonokami made w/ Japanese Koki wood and in laid w/ copper, made by Masayaki Sato. Notice the extreme tip on this, this is called a Kiridashi tip. This also has a single grind edge. The last one is an A.G. Russell “pinched peanut” in mammoth ivory. This one is one that am carrying and using. Love this pinched peanut, the lines are beautiful on this w/ very nice swedges. All these knives are extremely sharp.
Attachments
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5014.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, About these knives, I think the word beautiful says it all. Sometimes the thought comes to mind that I am hoping your house has a first-class security system.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, These knife masters are fairly young and not at it that long, compared to others that is. These are some up and comers of the Japanese custom knife makers. I could really break the bank on some of the masterpieces they turn out.
Glad you enjoy looking at these. I do too.
Yes, we have some pretty good security.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This is a Paragon fixed blade. I bought the blade w/ the pins and bolster unattached and no handle material. Sent it to Muskrat Man last year and had these exotic wooden handles put on it. Turned out pretty dang nice. I always appreciate a full tang construction w/ the tang tapered like this, gives a knife real balance. It takes more time to produce a knife like this but the Japanese don’t seem to mind.
The second one is an A.G. Russell Dogleg Jack in beautiful stag. Got this one from Roland, aka kj.
Attachments
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg
IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4650.jpeg
IMG_4651.jpeg
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

I think we like the same knives Shiny :D
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Airborne 1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 am I think we like the same knives Shiny :D
Same thing here Airborne ::tu:: . And that trapper is something else :shock: :shock: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Attachments
IMG_4399.jpeg
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4403.jpeg
IMG_4404.jpeg
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4408.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 pm Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Hey Mark. These Paragons yer showing are sweet, and have really caught my attention. Where can you purchase the unassembled ones from? I did a quick google but nothing came up. I wouldn't mind finishing a couple in the future, for selling.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 pm Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Hey Mark. These Paragons yer showing are sweet, and have really caught my attention. Where can you purchase the unassembled ones from? I did a quick google but nothing came up. I wouldn't mind finishing a couple in the future, for selling.
I bought mine on Ebay. They come up pretty frequently for some reason. They must have had a bunch in production when someone changed their mind.
Check on Ebay, they usually run anywhere from 50 to 80 dollars depending on the seller and whether it’s an auction or a buy it now.
Here is one that is WAY overpriced. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seki-Japan-Jap ... 7354!US!-1
Just keep checking Ebay from time to time and you will find one at a reasonable price.
Good luck.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 pm
Willy. One was listed just today, it’s a skinner and not priced to the moon. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Japan-Japa ... 7354!US!-1

Return to “Japanese-made knives”