Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:01 pm I got in another Cattaraugus by A.G. Russell. It’s the small lockback barlow from 1987. This one is Excelsior grade. The first 100 had etching on the blades and were serial numbered, making them Excelsior grade. This one is number 37. Measures just 2 1/2” closed OAL. It fits right in with all my other A.G. Russell knives.
Good look'in knife Mark, ::tu:: congrats! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Received this Blackjack Mamba by Seizo Imai who died before completion. The knife was finished by an unknown cutler.
The handle is 4 1/4" long, made of giraffe bone. The blade is 3" long, made of ATS 34.

The blade came Samurai sharp, really impressive. One pin was a bit proud. I cannot easily open the knife using the thumb stud as the stud is too small for me to get sufficient leverage with my thumb. Working the blade with some oil may improve this. IMO the lock requires excessive effort to close the knife. Again, I hope some oil will improve this.

I find the lines of the knife very attractive. I think the operation of the knife is a bit too awkward for it to be a pleasant EDC. Based on the work Mr. Imai accomplished with the blade and handle I am confident that had he completed it an exceptional knife would have resulted. The assembly of the knife did not match Mr. Imai's high standards.

P1040033 (2).JPG
P1040032 (2).JPG
P1040034 (2).JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:08 pm Received this Blackjack Mamba by Seizo Imai who died before completion. The knife was finished by an unknown cutler.
The handle is 4 1/4" long, made of giraffe bone. The blade is 3" long, made of ATS 34.

The blade came Samurai sharp, really impressive. One pin was a bit proud. I cannot easily open the knife using the thumb stud as the stud is too small for me to get sufficient leverage with my thumb. Working the blade with some oil may improve this. IMO the lock requires excessive effort to close the knife. Again, I hope some oil will improve this.

I find the lines of the knife very attractive. I think the operation of the knife is a bit too awkward for it to be a pleasant EDC. Based on the work Mr. Imai accomplished with the blade and handle I am confident that had he completed it an exceptional knife would have resulted. The assembly of the knife did not match Mr. Imai's high standards.

P1040033 (2).JPGP1040032 (2).JPGP1040034 (2).JPG
Very nice looking Knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Hope the oil helps
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

It is beautiful Garry. Sorry it isn’t quite up to snuff on the details. The Japanese Masters were known for their high standards and attention to details. I’m sure had Master Imai completed this one it would have been perfect in every way. Still, it’s one a kind. I have not seen another like it come up for sale on Ebay and I check every day. My Imai knives are my favorites and I can’t stop admiring them. Glad you got one while you could.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Gary and Mark.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:08 pm Received this Blackjack Mamba by Seizo Imai who died before completion. The knife was finished by an unknown cutler.

P1040033 (2).JPGP1040032 (2).JPGP1040034 (2).JPG
Very beautiful knife Garry! ::tu:: Try some Quick Release oil, ::nod:: the stuff is amazing! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I don't recall posting this Seki Fillet knife before. This is one I picked up at an estate sale...I think I paid $40 or $50 for it. I may have overpaid, but I really liked the looks. It is a CONDOR, with Seizo Imai signature. Don't know if that means anything, but it's an awesome knife. I use it as a slicer when I'm cutting up veggies or slicing meat. The large choil area is perfect for stabilizing the knife with the index finger.

Mark...if you see this, you may know more about it than I do.

Sorry about the poor quality of photos...it was some quick shots.
Attachments
DSCF3316.jpeg
DSCF3325.jpeg
DSCF3322.jpeg
DSCF3317.jpeg
DSCF3319.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:58 pm I don't recall posting this Seki Fillet knife before. This is one I picked up at an estate sale...I think I paid $40 or $50 for it. I may have overpaid, but I really liked the looks. It is a CONDOR, with Seizo Imai signature. Don't know if that means anything, but it's an awesome knife. I use it as a slicer when I'm cutting up veggies or slicing meat. The large choil area is perfect for stabilizing the knife with the index finger.

Mark...if you see this, you may know more about it than I do.

Sorry about the poor quality of photos...it was some quick shots.
Ken! I don't feel you overpaid for this one, and, the builder is a very famous knifemaker from Japan, so you have a good one there! ::tu:: I'm sure Mark will be along eventually to give you more info! I went and searched the ebay seller "eprague", as he has many Japanese knives in his store, and spotted this exact knife, albeit with a different serial #, for US$79.95, so what you paid is quite reasonable. BTW, how do you like the grey micarta scales, pretty huh! Very nice slicer! Nothing wrong with your pics either! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Mark for your insight and taking the time to look this up on the bay. ::handshake:: So yeah...I got a good deal. And this knife holds an edge very well. I have yet to put a steel to it or touch it up, and I've used it a lot. It is a solid knife.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

LJ, I agree with Mark that you didn’t over pay for that knife. It’s a work of art in addition to being practical and user friendly. Since Master Imai signed it, that’s a mark of a higher quality than ones that don’t have his name on them. Not that many folks know that he didn’t have his name put on the lower quality knives he worked on, at least not many. When you see that signature of his, it means he was proud to put his name on it. You have real keeper there. That’s one that would join my collection permanently.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 pm LJ, I agree with Mark that you didn’t over pay for that knife. It’s a work of art in addition to being practical and user friendly. Since Master Imai signed it, that’s a mark of a higher quality than ones that don’t have his name on them. Not that many folks know that he didn’t have his name put on the lower quality knives he worked on, at least not many. When you see that signature of his, it means he was proud to put his name on it. You have real keeper there. That’s one that would join my collection permanently.
Everything that needs to be said on it. You got yourself a real winner there Ken, be proud to use that un', she's a looker.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks, Mark & Willy. It's definitely a keeper.
LJ

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I received this knife Dec. 8th. While very attractive there was excessive stiffness in both the locking mechanism and the blade itself. Thought I could overcome the defects with oil and working the mechanism but this resulted in very little improvement.

I received a follow up letter from the seller Jimmy Iwahara asking if everything was satisfactory. In turn, I explained my difficulties with the knife and how I was trying to resolve them with little success. He promptly offered to replace it with the same pattern but with a Burgandy handle that operated very smoothly. Of if I preferred he would refund the considerable cost. I've chosen to get the alternative knife. I only need to return the original knife to their Kencrest office in Seattle.

I mention all this only to point out the fine business ethics practiced by this company.
P1040033 (2).JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’m glad you are getting a replacement. Jimmy is wonderful to work with. I still have hopes that he will join us here on the forum some day.
He was helpful a couple of years ago when they sent me the wrong Mcusta. I had it returned and the right knife in about a week. They have great service.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Could you please post his website or however you ordered from him? Sounds like someone we all would like to do business with.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David R:

Japanese Knives Direct.com
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:44 am I received this knife Dec. 8th. While very attractive there was excessive stiffness in both the locking mechanism and the blade itself. Thought I could overcome the defects with oil and working the mechanism but this resulted in very little improvement.

I received a follow up letter from the seller Jimmy Iwahara asking if everything was satisfactory. In turn, I explained my difficulties with the knife and how I was trying to resolve them with little success. He promptly offered to replace it with the same pattern but with a Burgandy handle that operated very smoothly. Of if I preferred he would refund the considerable cost. I've chosen to get the alternative knife. I only need to return the original knife to their Kencrest office in Seattle.

I mention all this only to point out the fine business ethics practiced by this company.

P1040033 (2).JPG
That's great news Garry! Judging by your initial reaction upon receiving the knife, it was obvious that you were disappointed, and rightly so considering the cost. When I read your post this morning in the "Displays" thread, I noticed that you didn't even display it open, and, it was stuck off to the side in with some of your fixed blades. I'm sure you will post the new one when it arrives, and hopefully you will be happier with that one! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

How very observant you are Marco. :)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is the link to the home page for JKD: https://japaneseknifedirect.com/
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:28 pm Here is the link to the home page for JKD: https://japaneseknifedirect.com/
Nice site . I like the older site better to bad they updated
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:10 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:28 pm Here is the link to the home page for JKD: https://japaneseknifedirect.com/
Nice site . I like the older site better to bad they updated
Agreed! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I've grown increasingly fond of these Seki scrimmed Lockbacks. 1. They are very well made. Their locks operate smoothly. The edges come well sharpened. Very tight runups. Made by the same company that makes Spyderco and SOG. 2. They are modestly priced. A nice collection could be developed without a big outlay of money. Since the scrimshaw is copied the substantial prices of original work is avoided. 3. Regardless of their particular size each provides a substantial feel while still lightweight. I don't know how this is done; perhaps it is just accidental deriving from the particular materials that are used.
P1040062 (2).JPG
P1040063 (2).JPG
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Great looking set of knives, Garry. ::tu:: Can't go wrong with a Seki made knife.
LJ

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very handsome group Garry! ::tu:: Just beautiful! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you, LJ. I'm thinking these will make an ideal watch pocket knife for me.

And thank you Marco.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”