Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This SOG Stingray sold on Ebay a few minutes ago, not my knife or my pictures. Made in Seki Japan. Blade is San Mai VG-10. The inserts in the handles are abalone. There is an opal on the thumb stud. It’s a beautiful knife. I was going to bid on it but the price got a bit too high. This one and a SOG Architect with bone handles are on my forever watch list.
Attachments
F1A4686B-8F55-469B-8F28-B83AF9D9F98F.jpeg
3DA78406-D355-404F-8A6E-6050DD6F1931.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is quite a knife. I see why you were interested in it Mark. Abalone has become very expensive. Maybe Mastodon ivory is more so.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, i would be interested to know the selling price. It is easily a $200 knife but to a collector of these the price could be multiples of this. I doubt that there are many of these 'out there'.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It sold for 295. Which is actually lower than I was expecting it to go. It didn’t move at all at the end, I expected it to jump to at least 350. I should have entered a bid higher than that but thought it was pointless, who knows now?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

That was a very nice looking SOG, Mark. I'm not a fan of re-curve blades, but I could forego that on that knife. Abalone is very attractive. Someone got a good deal on it.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 am This SOG Stingray sold on Ebay a few minutes ago, not my knife or my pictures. Made in Seki Japan. Blade is San Mai VG-10. The inserts in the handles are abalone. There is an opal on the thumb stud. It’s a beautiful knife. I was going to bid on it but the price got a bit too high. This one and a SOG Architect with bone handles are on my forever watch list.
The Stingray looks almost as nice as the Architect Mark! ::tu:: The inlays are stunning! Now that I know you also like this model I'll keep an eye out for one that's priced reasonably! From your comments I gather these are "Grail" knives to you, and I certainly understand your sentiments cuz I just had my "Grail" knife seized at Customs, bummer for sure! ::facepalm:: 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Marco, what was the knife that Canada Customs seized ?
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It was an inexpensive all-chrome Milano auto that I have coveted for nearly 5 years Roland, and after spotting one at gunbroker.com Jamie from JamieinWV purchased it for me and shipped it. It has a screw pivot so the blade could have been easily removed and sent separately, but I foolishly took a chance and had him ship it fully assembled and ended up losing it. ::facepalm:: Fortunately there are more available so we'll likely try again, but do it properly this time! ::ds:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another A.G. Russell that I bought for my collection. Pretty sure these were made by Master Tak Fukuta since he is the maker of the Marbles Benchmade knife that looks a lot like this one and his name is right on the box for those. These are made a little more substantial than the Marbles with a bit better fit and finish. This one has snakewood handles. The blade is ATS-34 stainless steel. Made in 2002. So far I have picked up 3 different versions of this same knife. Snakewood, Desert Ironwood and Maple Burl. Love wooden handles and these three side by side shows why, just fantastic knives all three. I wonder how many different handle materials A.G had made of this knife? Any time I find one I don’t have I just can’t resist. Every time I get a new one it seems to be my new favorite and this one is now my favorite.
Attachments
19B7B5FC-80EA-4CD7-BECE-A772B6688FAD.jpeg
33468FB0-EA31-44D4-AFC8-EC535586EED0.jpeg
F36FD1BC-00B8-4666-8888-A3F925D97AB8.jpeg
495279A5-ABBB-4581-9C23-A1ABB476B389.jpeg
62C3D0D6-74C3-4CD5-B427-8E431899E3D6.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

These are beautiful knives. Great aquisitions.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, this snakewood one has some really tight grain and just feels “right” in hand. They all are nice but this one in particular is special.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark! I saw that doodlefroodle on ebay had a knife very much like your new AGR that he had on Buy It Now for a long time but recently changed it to an auction, and I see it's no longer listed in his store, if you don't mind me asking is that where you got it? I actually did an advanced search of doodlefroodle's past sales, and if you're 5***P (806)then it was you! And if it was you, you got it at such a good price I'll bet you were tempted to list in your store for a healthy profit! Mind you, it looks really good beside it's brothers and sisters so I think keeping it is the way to go! I had your new knife on my "Watch List" ever since it was first listed and although I didn't take a shot at it I'm glad it went to someone who really appreciates it! I love the one I have! Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition! ::handshake:: 8) P.S.-I'll keep an eye out for your knife with other cover materials so you can add those!
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, That is where I acquired it. It was a steal and I was willing to go a lot higher to get it. For now these are staying in my collection. My Japanese knife collection is looking pretty good and getting better all the time.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm really glad you got it Mark! He had it at B.I.N. US$199.99 for quite awhile without it moving, so I figured it would go quickly at auction, and I too would have gone a lot higher than what it went for. You are fine tuning your Japanese knife collection nicely, and that knife along with the other 2 are great additions. I just had to ask if it was the same knife because as soon as I saw your post I recognized your knife. Enjoy them bud! 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Marco, in the past i had knives shipped to me in B.C. from USA sellers. Most of them were not opened by Canada Customs. I wonder if yours getting opened was just bad luck or if something on the packaging alerted them ? Could the blade pivot have been tightened such that it could only be opened manually ?
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:31 am Marco, in the past i had knives shipped to me in B.C. from USA sellers. Most of them were not opened by Canada Customs. I wonder if yours getting opened was just bad luck or if something on the packaging alerted them ? Could the blade pivot have been tightened such that it could only be opened manually ?
kj
Roland, I've had probably close to 250 packages go through Customs in the past 2 years and I'd say that 75% were inspected. I was told by a Customs agent that when the packages are travelling along the conveyor belt and then under x-ray, if the outline of a gun or a knife is visible that package is set aside for secondary physical inspection to determine if it's a legal gun or knife. Out of all those I'd say I only lost 10% of the knives. And believe me I've tried ALL the tricks! At one point I figured they were recognizing my name and inspecting all my packages, cuz I had had 4 autos seized by that time and thought I'd been "red-flagged" by Customs, so I put a girl's name as the receiver thinking they would think a girl wouldn't want anything to do with an illegal automatic knife(Sorry ladies!)and let the package go through, and some did some didn't. I have tried declaring the contents as just "parts" or "used cutting utensil" and kept the declared value low so as to discourage Customs from doing an inspection, but the results were similar. I've had the seller not include the box or pouch or any accessory in the package so as to keep it light and small cuz I was told Customs will pass by smaller packages cuz they're looking for high value items so they can charge more duty + taxes. The auto in my avatar was built with a fixed rivet pivot so it looked like I wasn't going to be able to buy it, but the seller told me he has had success sending knives like that with their blades deployed and then the entire handle up to the tang was wrapped in paracord and then the loose ends sealed with glue, popped into a sheath, and sent as a fixed blade knife, and as you can see it worked. I simply cut the paracord off and had my knife. My 2 autos from the Ukraine came concealed inside a toy telescope and transistor radio and neither was even inspected. It seems that packages from overseas aren't inspected nearly as often as the one's from the Americas, with the exception of China where most of those are inspected looking for drugs. You can determine by the tracking if your package is in Customs, and for those packages that don't have accurate tracking, if there is yellow tape around your package when you get it, it was inspected. When they began their illegal attack on assisted openers with flippers I tried having their pivots tightened, but they claim that even if the knife can't be flicked open under their testing, if it was DESIGNED as a knife that could be flicked open 1-handed it's an illegal gravity knife and seized. Fortunately I have most of the manuals I wanted so ordering any of those will be limited, and I'll try to choose only 2-handed slip-joints. I want to put my focus on quality autos to purchase, and to do so I need to choose models with screw pivots so their blades can be removed and sent separately, cuz to date this has been my most successful method. Customs knows exactly what me and others are doing by shipping via this method but until the CDN law changes and states its illegal to import "parts" of illegal knives, there's nothing they can do about it, other than hold the packages for as long as they are allowed in a feeble attempt to discourage the practise and inconvenience us overall. The shipping "loophole" has been totally successful since the days of the 1980's Edge Co. imported autos, and until it changes this will continue happening. It's kindda funny, I'm a totally honest guy, but circumventing Canada Customs with all of their RIDICULOUS laws has become a quest for me, and I don't feel guilty in the least side-stepping all their nonsense whenever I can. Hope this addresses your questions and suggestions! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Marco, thank you. Great post. Lots of interesting & useful information that is important for Canadian knife collectors to know.
I guess the reason most of my purchases were not opened is that they were traditional style folders and this showed on the x-ray inspection ?
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It kindda depends Roland. When the package was delivered if it was wrapped in yellow tape that has printing saying "Opened by CBSA" then yes, it was opened and inspected. From what you're saying it sounds like you've been incredibly lucky with inspections, cuz if the x-ray shows the outline of gun or knife, AND THEY SEE IT AS IT GOES BY, it will definitely be set aside and eventually OPENED AND INSPECTED, and if it passes inspection then it's crudely re-wrapped and sealed with the yellow tape and forwarded to Canada Post for delivery. There are a percentage of packages that they DON'T see the x-ray as it goes by, but those are the exception rather than the rule. Now I say you've been lucky cuz it's ABSOLUTELY necessary for them to open the package in order to determine the legality of the knife, and you're saying that most of your packages have got through, but they would have had to open your package physically in order to determine what kind of knife it was, but had you seen the yellow tape you'd know if it was inspected or not. What I am so unsuccessfully trying to say is, the only way they could know your knives were traditional slip-joints would be if the package was opened, they CANNOT determine this via x-ray, so it would seem that your packages somehow escaped being viewed under x-ray and just flowed on by down the conveyor belt, and that's the lucky part. An agent told me once that they process 10's of 000's of gun and knife packages every day and their rule of thumb is to inspect about 5% of those, so you would think seizures and such would be few and far between, and what you say supports those numbers so I have to assume that due to the 4 separate auto packages of mine they seized that I've been "red-flagged" for inspection cuz almost ALL my packages are inspected. Sorry to go on so long again, it's just that it takes all this info to describe the situation correctly! 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Love these Colemans
Attachments
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Those are beauties Jamie! ::tu:: Who da thunk Coleman's were built in Seki! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very nice selection, Jamie.
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am Those are beauties Jamie! ::tu:: Who da thunk Coleman's were built in Seki! ::shrug:: 8)
Thanks Marc I’m not sure who may have made them, they all the ones I have seem to not have the strongest of springs kinda like some Boker knives, but the fit and finish are outstanding and the springs are the way the meant to make them but they have a different feel than a case Xx
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:35 am A very nice selection, Jamie.
Thanks QS, I look on the Bay for them and you can find them but I set what I will pay and won’t go over that amount, but honestly they are a quality knife that I should raise my buying amount I’m willing to pay.
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am Those are beauties Jamie! ::tu:: Who da thunk Coleman's were built in Seki! ::shrug:: 8)
Well after searching rumor had it they were made by camillus, buy I don’t know that to be fact.
2016 thread www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... 72#p532722
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::tu:: ! 8)
8)

Return to “Japanese-made knives”