Post your Moki’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Post your Moki’s

Post by Quick Steel »

Simply wonderful knives. Pieces of art sculpture. Before I retired, finances were not much of a concern and I bought some high-end knives including customs. Now I must be much more circumspect. I only wish I had become seriously aware of Japanese productions while I was still working.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very well said Q.S., I agree 100%. I too wish I had been aware of these quality Japanese knives looong before now, when my only income is government pensions! Ce' la vie! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here is a very special Moki that I lost out on. I drove the bid up to 381 dollars and someone else took it home. I got a little crazy and tend to when buying for my own collection. I have not seen this one before. Take a look at the last photo, it’s an add for another knife made at that time that must also be out there some day. I was really disappointed to have missed out on this one. What a beauty. The Japanese are the masters at inlay work.
Attachments
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0483.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Don't feel too bad Mark, by you not getting that one it just means that you needed the money for something better that's currently waiting for you to find it! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, the detailing on that MOKI is awe inspiing. Just one example: I have never seen an end cap/bolster with a scalloped edge. Beautiful. Sorry you didn't get it.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Kronos
Glory
Attachments
WP_20180503_006.jpg
WP_20180503_010.jpg
WP_20180325_034.jpg
WP_20180325_017.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman, those are beautiful. The glory w/ the Chinese Quince wood is one that I haven’t gotten yet. Love the Kronos, that one is always a favorite.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ditto what Mark said. Large bolsters always appeal to me.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:11 am Ivoryman, those are beautiful. The glory w/ the Chinese Quince wood is one that I haven’t gotten yet. Love the Kronos, that one is always a favorite.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the compliments. The Glorys are worth a look. They go for about $75 (I've seen nice used ones in the $60 range) and for that you get EXCELLENT fit/finish, bank vault lock up, super smooth action, nice easy pull but good spring tention and snap, great Quince wood grain that I love, mirror polished Aus 8, lanyard tube, etc. I am always surprised I don't see more of them posted. For the money I think it's a fabulous value and above average beauty piece and very well built. I don't think anyone would regret getting one.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200826_091125.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman, I haven’t seen a Moki yet that was a disappointment. Their lowest cost knife is still better constructed than 90% of all other knives made, and I really don’t think that is an exaggeration. The lock up on Moki’s is always tight and the run up is also. If there is one fault, it might be that the blades are ground to such a fine edge that people who use a knife hard might find them a bit too delicate for heavy use. But if you need a knife for precise use and you want one razor sharp, then you can’t beat a Moki. Plus you will be getting one of the best fit and finished knifes on the market.
Sorry I sound like a commercial, as you can tell Moki’s are my collecting passion.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:34 pm Ivoryman, I haven’t seen a Moki yet that was a disappointment. Their lowest cost knife is still better constructed than 90% of all other knives made, and I really don’t think that is an exaggeration. The lock up on Moki’s is always tight and the run up is also. If there is one fault, it might be that the blades are ground to such a fine edge that people who use a knife hard might find them a bit too delicate for heavy use. But if you need a knife for precise use and you want one razor sharp, then you can’t beat a Moki. Plus you will be getting one of the best fit and finished knifes on the market.
Sorry I sound like a commercial, as you can tell Moki’s are my collecting passion.
Amen to that. Can't believe more people don't check the lower priced ones out. Far better than I expected. Excellent and that's all I hear from Moki fans. Never seen or heard of one yet that was sub par or disappointing. Can't say that about too many makers.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Oh wow fellers, some more awe inspiring knife guys ::tu:: .

Not a commercial Mark, just the plain ole truth. You splain it Lucy! ::woot::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Well I certainly have some new Moki’s 100 to be exact. Made in 2020 by Moki in Seki Japan. The handles are exclusive to SSk. The handles were ordered from Culpepper’s early this summer and shipped to Japan. To my surprise I was told early September that these were on the schedule for the end of September and sure enough they were all done on time. Shipping only took 3 days from Japan. They are even better in hand than I could have imagined. The Lapis Blue Aberdeen jigged bone is very dark and looks great on all the knives. Blades are VG-10 stainless steel. Bolster, pins and liners are all stainless steel. Comes with a canvas and leather belt pouch and Moki box. Razor sharp and man, that run up is tight on these.
Attachments
IMG_4241.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg
IMG_4245.jpeg
IMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_4253.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4248.jpeg
IMG_4249.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Absolutely stunning Mark! They turned out just beautiful! As you know I was privy to this project and I could barely contain myself from telling everyone I know that they were on the way. The deep blue is outstanding, although I'd also like to see the lighter ones too. I tried really hard to spot the break in the run-up, but for the life of me I couldn't. Congratulations my friend, and I think you'd better start planning to place another order, because these 100 won't be around for long! And of course, please put one of the 433's aside for me! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, I have one with your name on it. I appreciate you keeping my secret for so long. This is more exciting than any Christmas I ever had as a kid. It’s been wonderful. The support from fellow members and all the well wishes, it’s really brightened my life.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

So glad you're feeling good buddy! ::tu:: Seems like just yesterday we were discussing your project, and now it's come full-circle. ::groove:: I can hardly believe that I'll be a proud owner of an SSK exclusive, 1st-production Moki folder! I can definitely sense your excitement from your responses. ::ds:: Nice to have support from the folks around us everyday, and you certainly do. All that's left now is to watch them fly off the shelves, and, plan your next design! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I see you changed your wording from "Mike" box to "Moki" box! ::tu:: I was going to mention that to you, but I wasn't sure if there was actually such a thing as a "Mike" box! ::shrug:: I think we all knew what you meant anyway! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

aapk101120.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Montanaman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:30 pm aapk101120.jpg
Beautiful Kris, nice photography.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a group shot of most of my Moki’s, there are some other Seki made knives in this drawer as well. I don’t have room to add my own blue Kronos models to the drawer.
Attachments
IMG_4467.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 pm Here is a group shot of most of my Moki’s, there are some other Seki made knives in this drawer as well. I don’t have room to add my own blue Kronos models to the drawer.
Nice group Mark! If you're having problems with room, I'll be a nice guy and take a few off your hands! lol! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Picked up an Ironwood version of the Moki Kronos ANZ-533, only this one is ANZI-544. The I is for ironwood. I love wooden handles and had never seen a Moki Kronos with wooden handles and just couldn’t pass this one up.
Attachments
1F583312-42D2-430D-9856-B67C9974B443.jpeg
963866B2-CA39-46C3-A456-21863FD11E61.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 pm Picked up an Ironwood version of the Moki Kronos ANZ-533, only this one is ANZI-544. The I is for ironwood. I love wooden handles and had never seen a Moki Kronos with wooden handles and just couldn’t pass this one up.
Beautiful knife Mark! ::tu:: The color of the ironwood is nice n' fuzzy warm! Congratulations! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 pm Picked up an Ironwood version of the Moki Kronos ANZ-533, only this one is ANZI-544. The I is for ironwood. I love wooden handles and had never seen a Moki Kronos with wooden handles and just couldn’t pass this one up.
Wow Mark!
She's an absolute looker!
8) ::tu::

Oh no man! What is happening?!

I feel the pole of knife buying again...
::paranoid::

:mrgreen:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Not flashy but very solid looks. This is one very tasteful Moki.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”