Post your Moki’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post your Moki’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This is my favorite Moki. It really shows off the skill level of the Japanese craftsmen and how well they do inlays. I love this one.
Special limited edition for the 100th anniversary. I think they are producing one every five years. I have the latest one that I will post later.
Attachments
IMG_4259.jpeg
IMG_4260.jpeg
IMG_4263.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Moki’s

Moki Kronos. This is the larger of the two Kronos knives that were made. Were made is important, this is discontinued from current production. Although they have a newer version of this that is hard to distinguish from this. Notice the tight fit on the blade backspring meeting point. I tried hard to show this, it’s so tight on this that it looks like it’s all one piece, but it isn’t. This is something that you rarely see on knives, unless they are custom made. Moki really lights my fire for collecting.
The amber bone stag on this one is exceptional.
Attachments
IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1700.jpeg
IMG_1701.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg
IMG_1704.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This is an early Moki Lakota. Lakota’s were produced toward the beginning of Moki branding knives under their own name back in the 80’s. Don’t pass these up if you get a chance to buy a Lakota, many don’t know what they have when they list these or have them in a garage sale. These are high quality knives and worth collecting.
Attachments
IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1345.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are some Moki’s that I have. The first one is an anniversary knife from Moki done for the 110th anniversary. Earlier in this thread I posted the 100 anniversary knife. These are done every 10 years and are very special editions. This black one has a highly polished Damascus blade w/ ebony handles.
The next one is a Moki Ares, no longer in production but very similar to the present Kronos. This is one that has red bone handles.
Attachments
IMG_4525.jpeg
IMG_4526.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4272.jpeg
IMG_4273.jpeg
IMG_4274.jpeg
IMG_4275.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man Mark, these sure are beautiful knives you are showing. I can see why you are so enamored with Japanese made knives ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Willy. They are even more impressive in hand. You can feel the balance, the tight edge tolerances, and the quality of the materials. Click that blade open and just marvel at the fit and finish and the tight fit between the blade and the backspring. Then slice a piece of paper w/ the blade and you can curve that cutting edge around that paper just like a pencil and make fancy designs. Amazing knives. And I am not overselling it. You absolutely cannot beat the custom look of a Moki at the price they sell for. A custom like this would run at least 3 times and most likely 4 to 5 times as much as a Moki.
Moki’s are like Lay’s Potato Chips, you can’t get just one.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got these 4 Lakota knives by Moki in today. Going to sell them, at least that is the plan when I bought them. These are sooo nice, I hate to let go of them. Drop dead gorgeous.
Attachments
IMG_2322.jpeg
IMG_2308.jpeg
IMG_2301.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A new Moki arrived today. I have been looking at this one for weeks and finally pulled the trigger. Exceptional inlay work on this one with regular pearl and black lipped pearl checker boarded together. The run up on the blade/ backspring is as tight a fit as I have ever seen on a knife, it looks like a fixed blade when it’s opened and locked. It’s not a big knife by any means and it’s very slim. I think you would forget you have this one in your pocket. Smooth as glass in your hand. Exceptional all the way around.
Attachments
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg
IMG_2406.jpeg
IMG_2407.jpeg
IMG_2408.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I don't know what I was doing on Feb.12 but I missed your entries. All strikingly beautiful. Is the green stone malachite?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 pm I don't know what I was doing on Feb.12 but I missed your entries. All strikingly beautiful. Is the green stone malachite?
Yes it is.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got in this William Henry by Moki. I am a nut for dark green bone handles and this one had some of the nicest green bone I have ever seen. I like the swedge on the blade, it gives this an elegant look. Solid stainless steel construction, I would guess it’s VG-10 but not certain. The run up on the blade and backspring are the typical Japanese tight. I paid up a for this one, and I think it was worth it.
Attachments
IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
IMG_2426.jpeg
IMG_2427.jpeg
IMG_2428.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Gorgeous green bone on that one, Mark. Interesting design too. You sure do know how to pick 'em!

With any luck I'll have a couple to add later today.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ditto the above. The green bone is superlative.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Here are a couple of new arrivals that I thought I would share. I’m very, very pleased with both of these knives.

I got this Lakota Teal direct from Mark. It’s the same knife that Mark posted a few posts above this one. Made by Moki for Lakota. Malachite with Mother of Pearl and Nickel Silver accents. My pictures do not do this knife justice.
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
This Moki Calliope came from Mike at CKnet. I had one just like it a few years ago and I got to missing it. Black Micarta with a Mother of Pearl inlay and VG10 steel.
IMG_5308.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
Rick T.

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Fantastic looking knives Rick!!! I've never owned a Moki but maybe I should. Really like the contrast between the Green & MOP. Very classy looking knife. Nicely done Rick. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 pm Here are a couple of new arrivals that I thought I would share. I’m very, very pleased with both of these knives.

I got this Lakota Teal direct from Mark. It’s the same knife that Mark posted a few posts above this one. Made by Moki for Lakota. Malachite with Mother of Pearl and Nickel Silver accents. My pictures do not do this knife justice.
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
This Moki Calliope came from Mike at CKnet. I had one just like it a few years ago and I got to missing it. Black Micarta with a Mother of Pearl inlay and VG10 steel.
IMG_5308.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
Very nice, you have excellent taste in knives. Enjoy!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got the smaller of the two Moki Kronos knives today. Amber bone stag handles, VG-10 stainless blade, bolsters, liners and pins. Moki’s model number is 533-ANZ, it’s 3 3/4” closed OAL. The larger version is 433-ANZ and it’s 4 1/4” closed OAL. Included one picture of the larger version.
I bought this intending to sell it but when I realized I didn’t have the smaller one, it’s a keeper now.
Attachments
IMG_2447.jpeg
IMG_2448.jpeg
IMG_2450.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg
IMG_2452.jpeg
IMG_1700.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Wow! :shock:
These are some gorgeous knife you fellers are showing off, makes me wanta buy one for myself ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are a couple more of my Moki knives. The black lip pearl is from A.G. Russell and has his brand on it, but it’s obvious to me that it’s made by Moki. The run up on both of these knives is the typical tight fit. The second one is pearl w/ an abalone/pearl leaf inlay. I just marvel at how the Japanese can do this for the price the offer these.
Attachments
IMG_4184.jpeg
IMG_4186.jpeg
IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4189.jpeg
IMG_4185.jpeg
IMG_4188.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Stunning knives Mark. Like all the Japanese knives you've been showing, the build quality/looks are phenomenal. Yes, when they do something, it's done right every time.
Thank you for sharing, and can't wait to see what else you pull up... ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Moki just released these beauties. The crest on the handles are the family crests of the Shoguns.
Here is the description from the JKD website: MOKI has just released beautiful Coreless Damascus blade Folders with Raden pearl inlays of 3 famous warlords (Shogun) "Family Crests" related to Gifu. The "Raden" 螺鈿 is a traditional hand crafted inlay work of small detailed pieces of MOP and Abalone. The polished three-dimensional Damascus patterns blade matches with the Raden crest. This is a small quantity Limited edition produced in support of Gifu Tourism Association for new NHK TV Shogun drama series.

MK-207 Neat center lock folder designed by Hiroyuki Sakurai, Moki's CEO. 2-3/8" polished VG-10/VG-2 layered Damascus steel blade (Coreless technology by Takefu Special Steel) with nail-nick, 3-1/2" Hand rounded Red Sandalwood handle with Satin brushed stainless steel bolster and Brass tubelar lanyard hole on end, Center back locking with stainless liners, Raden inlays on handle (both sides) of 3 Busho family crests, Comes with MOKI Brown Leather pouch and cleaning soft cloth, Each in Fancy Gift box
VG-10 & VG-2 Coreless Damascus blade in 2.5mm thick, 60mm blade, 150mm overall in open, Weight 70g

These aren’t cheap and very limited quantity. JKD only has 3 of each for sale. 540 dollars US. I think that’s a new high water mark for Moki. They have really outdone themselves on these.
Attachments
IMG_0469.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Wow! Those are beautiful Mark! Are you going to take the $540. plunge and order 1, or more? Hope so! You have become a virtual expert on these knives, which is really good, since one knows who to ask regarding quality, prior to making a purchase! Please, keep em' coming! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Not decided yet on that. That price is pretty steep. Any time I think about spending this much on one knife my mind immediately goes to all the other knives I could get for that same money. The seller inside me just shouts down the collector sometimes. It’s hard living w/ a split personality.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yah, for sure! I know for myself that any piece over about $200. requires some deep soul-searching before I can pull the trigger! Sometime I think to myself about just how uncertain life can be, and that usually prompts me to make the purchase. BTW, welcome to BOTH of you! ::rotflol:: 8)
8)

Return to “Japanese-made knives”