What are your favorite high-end Japanese knife brands?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
MechanicalBear

What are your favorite high-end Japanese knife brands?

Post by MechanicalBear »

Ever since I got into knives about half a year ago I have had a fascination with Japanese knives. So I am wondering, what are some good high-end Japanese knife brands you guys know of?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What are your favorite high-end Japanese knife brands?

Post by Railsplitter »

Moki for sure.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I got both of these Mokis from a store right here on AAPK. Sharpnshinyknives will do you right if you choose to purchase from him. (click photos to enlarge)
Attachments
IMG_5875.JPG
IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:07 am Ever since I got into knives about half a year ago I have had a fascination with Japanese knives. So I am wondering, what are some good high-end Japanese knife brands you guys know of?
If you go to www.japaneseknifedirect.com M.B. you can view and purchase some of the nicest Japanese built knives you'll ever come across. Also, Mark from Sharpnshinyknives here at AAPK, and Gary from Kennedy Knives also here at AAPK are connoisseurs of fine Japanese knives, so you could have a look in their stores. Both Mark and Gary are a pleasure to do business with. A couple of brands that come to mind are Mcusta and Moki, but there's more. Since you're inquiring I thought I'd show you 2 of my favorites! The 1st is a Mcusta, and the 2nd is a Moki that Mark had custom built in Japan and has copies available for sale in his Sharpnshinyknives store! On the Moki the "run-up" where the tang meets the backspring(see Rick's 2nd picture above)in the open position is virtually seamless and perfectly flush, a sign of a well made knife! The Mcusta doesn't have a spine so no run-up is possible, but you can be sure that if it did it would be as tight and clean as on he Mokis. Be forewarned M.B., Japanese knives are addictive and can get expensive, so be prepared! 8)
WIN_20210507_19_31_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210507_19_31_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210507_19_31_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210507_19_31_35_Pro.jpg
8)
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

I only have one Mcusta, but it's nice enough that I'd grab another from them.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It was only this year that my interest in Japanese knives quickly developed. This was due to the influence of sharpenshinyknives who is highly knowledgeable concerning Japanese products. He even has Japan made knives of his own design. I think a stop at his AAPK store is mandatory for anyone interested in this realm of knife collecting.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Misono. I use this knife most days and have done so for years. The only folder I have from Japan is an abalone tickler by Parker. It would love a new home.
Misono UX-10 santoku 001.jpg
!BSG-N9QB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKBg78ZLJw~~_3 (Large).JPG
!BSG-OeQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBKBg8BQ8Pg~~_3 (Large).JPG
!BSG-ON!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKBg7-o)ng~~_3 (Large).JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

tongueriver wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:53 pm Misono. I use this knife most days and have done so for years. The only folder I have from Japan is an abalone tickler by Parker. It would love a new home.
Misono UX-10 santoku 001.jpg!BSG-N9QB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKBg78ZLJw~~_3 (Large).JPG!BSG-OeQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBKBg8BQ8Pg~~_3 (Large).JPG!BSG-ON!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKBg7-o)ng~~_3 (Large).JPG
Ooooo weee Calvin, that tis a stunning pick... :shock:

And you can't go wrong with that Misono, I love Japanese kitchen knives too.

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 am Moki for sure.
Thank you Railsplitter ::ds::. I will look into Moki.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:36 am I got both of these Mokis from a store right here on AAPK. Sharpnshinyknives will do you right if you choose to purchase from him. (click photos to enlarge)
WOW, ::woot:: those knives look amazing. I will definitely get one at some point. Thank you Railsplitter.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Madmarco wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:39 am
MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:07 am Ever since I got into knives about half a year ago I have had a fascination with Japanese knives. So I am wondering, what are some good high-end Japanese knife brands you guys know of?
If you go to www.japaneseknivesdirect.com M.B. you can view and purchase some of the nicest Japanese built knives you'll ever come across. Also, Mark from Sharpnshinyknives here at AAPK, and Gary from Kennedy Knives also here at AAPK are connoisseurs of fine Japanese knives, so you could have a look in their stores. Both Mark and Gary are a pleasure to do business with. A couple of brands that come to mind are Mcusta and Moki, but there's more. Since you're inquiring I thought I'd show you 2 of my favorites! The 1st is a Mcusta, and the 2nd is a Moki that Mark had custom built in Japan and has copies available for sale in his Sharpnshinyknives store! On the Moki the "run-up" where the tang meets the backspring(see Rick's 2nd picture above)in the open position is virtually seamless and perfectly flush, a sign of a well made knife! The Mcusta doesn't have a spine so no run-up is possible, but you can be sure that if it did it would be as tight and clean as on he Mokis. Be forewarned M.B., Japanese knives are addictive and can get expensive, so be prepared! 8)WIN_20210507_19_31_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_07_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_35_Pro.jpg
Thank you, Marco, I will definitely look into the brands you mentioned, the sellers you mentioned and the site you linked :D. Also, WOW ::woot:: those are some great looking knives. I am really coming around to the Moki knives. Thank you for the warning by the way haha :D.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Toejammer wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:40 am I only have one Mcusta, but it's nice enough that I'd grab another from them.

WOW, that knife is a looker ::woot::. I will definitely look into Mcusta.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:59 am It was only this year that my interest in Japanese knives quickly developed. This was due to the influence of sharpenshinyknives who is highly knowledgeable concerning Japanese products. He even has Japan made knives of his own design. I think a stop at his AAPK store is mandatory for anyone interested in this realm of knife collecting.
I will definitely look into the seller you mentioned.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

tongueriver wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:53 pm Misono. I use this knife most days and have done so for years. The only folder I have from Japan is an abalone tickler by Parker. It would love a new home.
Misono UX-10 santoku 001.jpg!BSG-N9QB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKBg78ZLJw~~_3 (Large).JPG!BSG-OeQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBKBg8BQ8Pg~~_3 (Large).JPG!BSG-ON!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKBg7-o)ng~~_3 (Large).JPG
Those two knives are sure nice looking. Especially that abalone one :D.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:34 pm
If you go to www.japaneseknifedirect.com M.B. you can view and purchase some of the nicest Japanese built knives you'll ever come across. Also, Mark from Sharpnshinyknives here at AAPK, and Gary from Kennedy Knives also here at AAPK are connoisseurs of fine Japanese knives, so you could have a look in their stores. Both Mark and Gary are a pleasure to do business with. A couple of brands that come to mind are Mcusta and Moki, but there's more. Since you're inquiring I thought I'd show you 2 of my favorites! The 1st is a Mcusta, and the 2nd is a Moki that Mark had custom built in Japan and has copies available for sale in his Sharpnshinyknives store! On the Moki the "run-up" where the tang meets the backspring(see Rick's 2nd picture above)in the open position is virtually seamless and perfectly flush, a sign of a well made knife! The Mcusta doesn't have a spine so no run-up is possible, but you can be sure that if it did it would be as tight and clean as on he Mokis. Be forewarned M.B., Japanese knives are addictive and can get expensive, so be prepared! 8)WIN_20210507_19_31_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_07_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_35_Pro.jpg
Thank you, Marco, I will definitely look into the brands you mentioned, the sellers you mentioned and the site you linked :D. Also, WOW ::woot:: those are some great looking knives. I am really coming around to the Moki knives. Thank you for the warning by the way haha :D.
Bear! Please take note that I changed the link I gave you from www.japaneseKNIVESdirect.com , to www.japaneseKNIFEdirect.com , sorry, I had it wrong! 8)
8)
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Madmarco wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:53 pm
MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:34 pm
If you go to www.japaneseknifedirect.com M.B. you can view and purchase some of the nicest Japanese built knives you'll ever come across. Also, Mark from Sharpnshinyknives here at AAPK, and Gary from Kennedy Knives also here at AAPK are connoisseurs of fine Japanese knives, so you could have a look in their stores. Both Mark and Gary are a pleasure to do business with. A couple of brands that come to mind are Mcusta and Moki, but there's more. Since you're inquiring I thought I'd show you 2 of my favorites! The 1st is a Mcusta, and the 2nd is a Moki that Mark had custom built in Japan and has copies available for sale in his Sharpnshinyknives store! On the Moki the "run-up" where the tang meets the backspring(see Rick's 2nd picture above)in the open position is virtually seamless and perfectly flush, a sign of a well made knife! The Mcusta doesn't have a spine so no run-up is possible, but you can be sure that if it did it would be as tight and clean as on he Mokis. Be forewarned M.B., Japanese knives are addictive and can get expensive, so be prepared! 8)WIN_20210507_19_31_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_07_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210507_19_31_35_Pro.jpg
Bear! Please take note that I changed the link I gave you from www.japaneseKNIVESdirect.com , to www.japaneseKNIFEdirect.com , sorry, I had it wrong! 8)
It's fine Marco :).

Return to “Japanese-made knives”