Dick Smith Passes

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

Dick Smith Passes

Post by Ridgegrass »

Banjo player with Del McCoury in the 70's and 80's Dick Smith passed last week. Dick was a great musician and can be heard on Del's albums from that period. He was also a great mandolin player and harmony singer. He filled in with our band, WINDY RIDGE on occasion and was a welcomed addition. With guys of his caliber we didn't have to make any major adjustments to the show; he could cover it. Dick was also an instrument expert and owned some very special instruments like his beautiful,vintage Gibson Grenada 5-string. The angel band has a new banjo player. R.I.P. Old Pal. Godspeed. ::facepalm:: J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Re: Dick Smith Passes

Post by Ridgegrass »

This might be the last project Dick and Mike O'Reilly did. Some of you old Bluegrass fans might recognize Randy Graham from the original Bluegrass Cardinals. The Great J.D. Crowe wrote the liner notes on this one. Mike and Dick and J.D. are all picking on the "far side banks of Jordan" now. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4465.jpg
IMG_4466.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

My mentor, Kenny Overby , made a banjo neck for J D Crow. He didn't play, his daughter did, but he could do about anything. He also introduced me into knife collecting.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Lyle: Is he still actively building? I seem to recall hearing that name. ::handshake:: J.O'.

Return to “The Music Forum”