Some Of My Favorite Country & Bluegrass Songs

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
WillyCamaro

Re: Some Of My Favorite Country & Bluegrass Songs

Post by WillyCamaro »

:D

"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very surprised to find this - my all time favorite rock band covers a country classic. Ronnie Wood looks like he’s having fun on that pedal steel guitar. It’s not Waylon, but it’s not bad!

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

https://youtu.be/rEHf5u0fZkc

More talent displayed here in 53 minutes than most (not all) modern music put together...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Stanwade: Definitely an American original and a monster talent. There's a great book called THE WRECKING CREW about the California backup band for a ton of the pop music of the 60's and 70's. Glen was part of that and the Beach Boys. His recordings of Jimmy Webb's stuff are fabulous. His daughter is a talented writer and singer too. Great post. ::tu:: ::tu:: J.O'.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:21 pm Stanwade: Definitely an American original and a monster talent. There's a great book called THE WRECKING CREW about the California backup band for a ton of the pop music of the 60's and 70's. Glen was part of that and the Beach Boys. His recordings of Jimmy Webb's stuff are fabulous. His daughter is a talented writer and singer too. Great post. ::tu:: ::tu:: J.O'.

Yes sir! I've seen the movie and I absolutely love his daughter, Ashley...last year I also bought the documentary they made on his final tour as he was slowly losing his faculties... Very sad, but also very heartwarming at the same time..

https://youtu.be/soNRe670jRM

Try watching this video without at least tearing up.. impossible 😁..
Ryan

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

I saw that a while back. Beautiful tribute and expression of love. She got the genes. Darn you! (Thanks) J.O'.

Love Carl Jackson too. Great writer and performer. CD, "Spring Training'" with John Starling. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
John Hartford said when Glen recorded "Gentle On My Mind" and took it as his show's theme song he knew he'd never have to work for his living again.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:45 pm I saw that a while back. Beautiful tribute and expression of love. She got the genes. Darn you! (Thanks) J.O'.

Love Carl Jackson too. Great writer and performer. CD, "Spring Training'" with John Starling. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
John Hartford said when Glen recorded "Gentle On My Mind" and took it as his show's theme song he knew he'd never have to work for his living again.
Everyone watching her sing that song is either crying or trying not to!

😁👍
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I saw the documentary about Glen Campbell and Alzheimer’s several years ago, I think on PBS. It was both hard to watch and amazing at the same time, especially how he was unable to recognize and remember family members yet could still play his guitar, recall and sing the lyrics to his songs. Once in a while if he stumbled at lyrics his daughter would quickly step in with the words and he’d get back on track.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 pm I saw the documentary about Glen Campbell and Alzheimer’s several years ago, I think on PBS. It was both hard to watch and amazing at the same time, especially how he was unable to recognize and remember family members yet could still play his guitar, recall and sing the lyrics to his songs. Once in a while if he stumbled at lyrics his daughter would quickly step in with the words and he’d get back on track.

Ken
She's definitely her father's daughter... When she's playing the guitar or banjo she does the same leg kick as he did when she really gets into it ..😁
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:36 am
Great post buddy 👍! Another virtuoso many people don't know about.. he's an amazing picker😁
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:59 am
Great post buddy 👍! Another virtuoso many people don't know about.. he's an amazing picker😁
Ricky Skaggs ain’t too shabby on there either. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 am

Ken

Right on!😁👍
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

https://youtu.be/m9Pjpi8Jv4s

Really cool video of Junior Brown showing his new Pedal guit-steel..😁 he has more talent in his pinky than most, not all, so called musicians that are played on the radio IMHO...
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 am

Ken
I just noticed that Harry Stinson, Marty Stuart's drummer and quite possibly the happiest man alive 😁, is playing with Junior here. I wonder if he toured with Junior or just played some sessions with him from time to time? ::shrug:: Marty and his Fabulous Superlatives always look like they're having so much fun playing together and are always so happy when they're on stage... Some of the best musicians in the world, in my opinion
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

https://youtu.be/bDbAfbyskxQ

Here's Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives playing "Hummingbyrd", a tribute to Clarence White and his b-bender guitar...the link below is a short story about how Marty came to aquire said guitar. Very good story and a unique invention at the time 👍😁..

https://youtu.be/r8H08Xs_w8A

I think I posted this before but it's worth posting again for someone who might not read back that far...
Ryan

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Stan: Marty is one of the coolest guys in the biz. His respect for those who went before us is almost religious.You can hear the reverence for them in his voice. He truly deserves the instruments he has. He is a steward for them. He knows they are integral parts of America's sonic and musical heritage. Joan and I have seen each episode of his show on RFD at least 3 times and continue to enjoy them. Too bad they stopped production in 2014.
I have a Martin HD 28 that was owned by a very famous player who died too young like Clarence. Just to hold it and play it is an almost spiritual thing. So I think I know what he's feeling.
Thanks for the post, really enjoyed it. J.O'.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

You're welcome, J.O.🤝👍..I've probably seen all of those episodes myself and will watch them over and over again and I will never get tired of them.. thank God for RFD TV.. one of three channels still worth watching...Marty is a national treasure in and of himself...
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Ryan I’m not sure what the connection is between Junior Brown and Marty Stuart. I’m sure they’ve played on the same bill or recording sessions before. I think there may be some videos of both together.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of Glen Campbell and his connection to The Beach Boys. The Beach Boys are also big fans of Junior Brown.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm Ryan I’m not sure what the connection is between Junior Brown and Marty Stuart. I’m sure they’ve played on the same bill or recording sessions before. I think there may be some videos of both together.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of Glen Campbell and his connection to The Beach Boys. The Beach Boy are also big fans of Junior Brown.

Ken

Sorry Ken if I wasn't clear I was referring to Harry Stinson, Marty's drummer...good post above 👍😁
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sorry, it was me who wasn’t clear. What I was trying to say is that because they’ve played together before they and their musicians are probably friends. It could be that if/when they were at the same time and place they performed together and supported one another. Just speculating.

BTW because of COVID most musicians are unemployed. They have no venues where they can perform for paying audiences. Junior Brown and his wife of over thirty years (that’s her playing rhythm guitar on most of his performances) have started their own Facebook and YouTube channels, where they’re performing for PayPal and Venmo tips, just to put food on the table. Look for the Junior and Tonya Rae Brown show if you’re interested. It’s free but they’ll appreciate any tips. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hard to believe this was nearly 50 years ago! Willie Nelson and Family - his original Family band. ::tu::

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 pm Sorry, it was me who wasn’t clear. What I was trying to say is that because they’ve played together before they and their musicians are probably friends. It could be that if/when they were at the same time and place they performed together and supported one another. Just speculating.

BTW because of COVID most musicians are unemployed. They have no venues where they can perform for paying audiences. Junior Brown and his wife of over thirty years (that’s her playing rhythm guitar on most of his performances) have started their own Facebook and YouTube channels, where they’re performing for PayPal and Venmo tips, just to put food on the table. Look for the Junior and Tonya Rae Brown show if you’re interested. It’s free but they’ll appreciate any tips. ::tu::

Ken
Thanks, I will check that out..👍
Ryan

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Junior Brown is a "Hoss". He and his wife and his one-drum drummer sound like a 6 piece band.
Definitely support them and all your favorites. I can tell you from the inside, musicians are in a real hurt. The nature of how they are paid and, sadly, how they report their earnings has left many of them not qualifying for relief in a lot of states. Buy their downloads and any other way you can help. J.O'.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:49 pm Junior Brown is a "Hoss". He and his wife and his one-drum drummer sound like a 6 piece band.
Definitely support them and all your favorites. I can tell you from the inside, musicians are in a real hurt. The nature of how they are paid and, sadly, how they report their earnings has left many of them not qualifying for relief in a lot of states. Buy their downloads and any other way you can help. J.O'.
I'll have to try to go through youtube because I never have and never will use Facebook 😁.. it's evit😠lol
Ryan

Return to “The Music Forum”