Jam Session

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Stanwade

Re: Jam Session

Post by Stanwade »

Really awesome instruments everyone!!…Other than air guitar I can’t play lick!! I love any good guitar work in just about any genre..Southern rock, classic country and classic rock are some of my favorites..Could go on all night/day talking about music..just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of Samantha Fish? Check her out if you haven’t… Her early stuff from 09 until 2016 are my favorite..with her new stuff she’s trying to go more pop to get a wider audience but it’s still decent… She can handle and axe like nobody’s business..Check out her song “money to burn” live on YouTube live at Calhoun’s 2/6/16
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Yeah I like her. She does some good blues stuff - and can rock the guitar also.
I love this version of "I Put a Spell on You" from 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL9rBAjut2g
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Heck yeah Blue!! I seen that video before I love it… Just something about her singing and her voice fits in my ear I absolutely love her…It’s refreshing that there’s still good music out there and people like us can still find it… Check out Larkin Poe if you haven’t heard of them..they’re two sisters they’re awesome too!
Ryan

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

A little off topic ... but ....

Zepperella. Best version of When the Levee Breaks I've ever heard.
The chick on the drums is mesmerizing !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-_9cwdLug

And check out Justin Johnson on the shovel .... :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Oh yeah!! Love both of them..seen them before.. thanks Royal!! Samantha Fish has nice get away sticks too!!
Attachments
FB543D0A-9ECB-4A83-92A4-6431D8F5B435.png
C823D6A4-29BD-493D-A6C4-05EBC1221558.jpeg
Ryan

samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

She sure ain't hard to look at either!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

LOL… I don’t know how the picture of my dog got stuck in there…
Ryan

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

royal0014 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 pm A little off topic ... but ....

And check out Justin Johnson on the shovel .... :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
Justin Johnson has some crazy good skills! ::tu::
-Blue
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a couple of guys that really "jam" on the acoustics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrkhJut4Ew
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

royal0014 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 pm A little off topic ... but ....

I always like to see a heavy handed female drummer - that lady hits hard. Very tight tribute band ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

LOL, I loved their version of Bohemian Rhapsody at the end!
-Blue
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve had the joy of seeing and hearing a lot of great guitar pickers in my life. Including among them Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, Bugs Henderson, Brian Jones, and others. The best of the best I ever saw in person is an under appreciated genius named Eddy Shaver, son of country artist Billy Joe Shaver. Eddy was a guitar prodigy, at age 14 he was touring with the Allman Brothers, being tutored by Dickey Betts. He played in numerous bands including Dwight Yoakam, Waylon Jennings and later his father.

His tool of choice was a Fender Stratocaster but he also was amazing on an acoustic. You can find some of his stuff on YouTube. Unfortunately he died at age 38, just about the time his talent was beginning to be recognized.

BTW, Live Forever is my all-time favorite song. Fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Some of you musicians should try it. ::handshake::

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:33 am I’ve had the joy of seeing and hearing a lot of great guitar pickers in my life. Including among them Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, Bugs Henderson, Brian Jones, and others. The best of the best I ever saw in person is an under appreciated genius named Eddy Shaver, son of country artist Billy Joe Shaver. Eddy was a guitar prodigy, at age 14 he was touring with the Allman Brothers, being tutored by Dickey Betts. He played in numerous bands including Dwight Yoakam, Waylon Jennings and later his father.

His tool of choice was a Fender Stratocaster but he also was amazing on an acoustic. You can find some of his stuff on YouTube. Unfortunately he died at age 38, just about the time his talent was beginning to be recognized.

BTW, Live Forever is my all-time favorite song. Fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Some of you musicians should try it. ::handshake::

Ken

Awesome post Mumbleypeg!! Eddy Shaver was amazing to say the least!! He playied with Guy Clark as a teenager also The few times Guy Clark plugged in ..… One of the unappreciated gems that not too many people know about… Watch their live video it’s from the early to mid-80s at a little honky-tonk when they did “ragged old truck” He absolutely nails his solos like always!!… Not too many people know that Billy Joe Shaver wrote most of the songs on Waylon Jenning’s first huge album..truly was an amazing talent that died way too soon.. Did you ever hear his version of “Rock from a Rolling Stone” live ?it’s just a warm-up/sound check before he started a live show somewhere … RIP Eddy
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad someone else appreciates Eddy. Just for the record, it was Eddy that died - Billy Joe is still writing songs and performing regularly. YouTube has several guitar tutorials on how to play Eddy’s licks on Live Forever, but this guy Timothy Knecht is the only one I’ve found who gets it right. I had to laugh where he says he’s been playing guitar for 10 years but it took him forever to copy Eddy’s picking. :lol:

So for those who’d like to try it here’s how it’s done. ::tu:: Starts off with the chorus chords and then about 1:30 into the video he teaches the amazing finger picking solo.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm late to the party but since I've got an abundance of free time right now, here's a picture of my retirement gift to myself. Two years ago I bought this Martin Custom D Mahogany acoustic guitar (on the left) with every intention of learning how to play it. For a variety of reasons, that effort really never got off the ground. Earlier this month I finally took my first real guitar lesson. Since then my teacher has shut down in person lessons because of the current social distancing mandates. Yesterday we managed to have a second lesson via skype. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. I'm practicing some very basic stuff so far but at least I'm finally doing something. Also shown is my brother's Alvarez guitar that I've had here since even before I bought the Martin. He's got several other guitars and even though I've offered to return it, he's said hang on to it. Maybe he'll forget where it is if I hang on to it long enough. ::sneaky::
Now I want to ask you folks how long my fingers are going to be this sore?
Attachments
IMG_6777.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Give it a few weeks Phil, those callouses will form soon.
I've been playing so much lately I've got string grooves in my fingertips...
20200322_195111.jpg
Are you learning to read music, or tablature?
-Blue
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey, that's awesome Phil ::tu:: .
In answering the soreness, over time it'll get better till it's gone (except, if your like me, have Fibromyalgia, then it's something you would have to deal with every time you pick up the guitar). Callouses form perty quickly, in relation to how much you play/practice, different for everyone. :)
Same story here ranger, I have more grooves then you! :mrgreen:
:lol:
After going into full gear last fall, till now, i'm finally starting to sound half-bad, I think... :? . Least my family says so, and that's all that counts! :D
But that's only about 15-20 minutes a sitting, can't do more then that at any one time, again due to my chronic health issues :| . I think if you stick with it Phil, then by this fall you'll be perty good ::tu:: .
If you want a superb resource for learning guitar, then check out Truefire. I've been using it (plus bunch of other online resources). Basically i'm going the self-taught route, but that's just me. I learn better that way, and can't afford guitar lessons, them expensive 1/2 hour sessions :( . Other then that, stick with it, and you'll have a blast!
Remember, it's never too late to join the party :wink: .
Willy :D
Attachments
DSCN2913.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

philco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 pm I'm late to the party but since I've got an abundance of free time right now, here's a picture of my retirement gift to myself. Two years ago I bought this Martin Custom D Mahogany acoustic guitar (on the left) with every intention of learning how to play it. For a variety of reasons, that effort really never got off the ground. Earlier this month I finally took my first real guitar lesson. Since then my teacher has shut down in person lessons because of the current social distancing mandates. Yesterday we managed to have a second lesson via skype. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. I'm practicing some very basic stuff so far but at least I'm finally doing something. Also shown is my brother's Alvarez guitar that I've had here since even before I bought the Martin. He's got several other guitars and even though I've offered to return it, he's said hang on to it. Maybe he'll forget where it is if I hang on to it long enough. ::sneaky::
Way to go Phil. Nice Martin!!
Have fun with it!!!
As for the soreness, as the old saying goes, "No pain, no gain." How long before it's gone depends on how often and how long you practice. But stick with it. You'll get there ::groove::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

With all this "stay at home" BS I decided to pull out the D-15 and do some pickin'. Haven't played much lately so the first thing I noticed is my strings are dead. Wiped 'em down with some alcohol and it helped a little bit. The second thing I noticed is old fingers aren't a quick or limber as they used to be! The voice is still in pretty good shape if you like hearin' cats fight. On the up side my callouses don't seem to ever go away completely so my finger ain't sore after playing for about two hours. I'm going to order some new strings and start playing more often. ::tu::
Attachments
20200329_153055_HDR.jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Looking good Charlie!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:47 pm Looking good Charlie!
Great setup Sas ::tu:: .
Glad you decided to drop back in, i was wondering what you were up to the other day, things been busy for the last while? Same story here, I try to check in everyday, but way less then during the dead of winter. Spring has arrived at fibro farm ::ds:: .
Hope all is well, and keep rocking that martin ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A little something to get y’all in the jammin’ mood.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

philco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 pm I'm late to the party but since I've got an abundance of free time right now, here's a picture of my retirement gift to myself. Two years ago I bought this Martin Custom D Mahogany acoustic guitar (on the left) with every intention of learning how to play it. For a variety of reasons, that effort really never got off the ground. Earlier this month I finally took my first real guitar lesson. Since then my teacher has shut down in person lessons because of the current social distancing mandates. Yesterday we managed to have a second lesson via skype. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. I'm practicing some very basic stuff so far but at least I'm finally doing something. Also shown is my brother's Alvarez guitar that I've had here since even before I bought the Martin. He's got several other guitars and even though I've offered to return it, he's said hang on to it. Maybe he'll forget where it is if I hang on to it long enough. ::sneaky::
So how's it coming along?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m not a guitarist, and don’t know about half of what he’s talking about. But I found this incredible, especially at the end when he twist a couple of nobs, and his electric guitar is suddenly emulating an acoustic. Don’t have any idea what one of his guitars costs (they’re made in Austin, TX. Teye is a Dutch-born but has lived in Texas for years.). As someone commented, this seems like something that 30 years from now people will be saying “wish I’d bought one of those when I had a chance.” :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

A bunch of old timers and I enjoy getting together on occasion to bend some strings...
-Blue

Return to “The Music Forum”