Jam Session

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Jam Session

Post by btrwtr »

Some pretty guitar candy in this thread.

This Taylor 410 in my favorite acoustic guitar. I put a Fishman pickup in it and made and added the MOP truss rod cover plate. I've had it since 1995 and I don't let it leave the house anymore. I have a Yamaha A1 acoustic that I take out for acoustic stuff. I've been playing electric bass in a band setting for a few years now and having fun with that. Guitars can be like knives even though I can only play one at a time.
Attachments
059.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man sweet Taylor Wayne, what I wouldn't give to add 1 (or 2) to my growing guitar stash.
Newest entries to the Jam collection ….
Beaver Creek Spruce Top "Entry Level" Standard Dreadnought. Nothing entry level about the sound and build quality out of this bad boy. Pairs perfectly with my Oscar Schmidt, deeper sounding dread. Guitar heaven for the amazing price of $175 ::super_happy:: . But as you would guess there are shortcuts on guitars of this price range. Setup/frets do need some work, mind ya not bad at all. Biggest difference at this price range, then lets say a Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustic ($550), is higher quality materials and curing time. Bout all she needs to make her sound as good as a guitar 4-5 more expensive is new bridge pins and bone nut and saddle, all dirt cheap changes (tuners are great as is). I just changed out the pins on my OS to brass (from plastic). Turned it into new guitar! Went from muddy low, to beautiful full sounding low. Different from a masterbuilt epi I tried out @ the guitar store, but good different now. Before I said mine was good, epi better. Now not the case, both are great in the own (different way). Saved myself about $400 and have a guitar that stands up to the big boys ::super_happy:: . And she already came with Tusk bone nuts and saddle :D . Again all for the low low price of $175 (plus $25 for the pins). I'm stoked now boys ::ds:: . Funny thing about frets, that masterbuilt is no better then mine, not at all ::shrug::. Maybe a teeny tiny bit more work on em' but not much. Its almost like they did everything right, but forgot finishing them right at the end :| . Too bad my guitar guy is backed up, months worth of work ahead of me, wanted to get her all perfect. Guess I got to try my other guitar guy :mrgreen: . Lucky I got 2 great small stores in my town :D . Both family owned, customer/musician focused ::tu:: . With very reasonable prices on super good guitars. Prices they are charging for there stuff is equal or less then online, or even used/private is some cases 8) . Guitar pedals are the biggest difference. Used market is as much as new pedals, right from the dealer and full warranty ::uc:: . Also picked up me a MXR Boost mini pedal that I've been needing (got to get me soloing over looped boosted). Anyway, sorry for carrying on :mrgreen: ::tu::
Rock On!
Attachments
DSCN1935.JPG
DSCN1929.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

"Stelecaster" maintenance and new strings day …. and I actually had hardly any trouble stringing her ::ds::. Don't ask me how I know ::facepalm:: .
Pics are from start to finish.
Now she looks, playes, and sounds better then new. That GHS string "slick" really works great (my sorry excuse for a review). The Dunlop products are some of the cheapest, but work awesome. Lemon oil fixed dried out fretboard, made the wood grain/coloring pop (woodworker in me drooling :D ), and the cleaner/polish works perfect, used only teeny tiny amount on all the painted surfaces, cleaned em' up to better then new (shiny 8) ). All in all a productive 1 hr of me life, good for another month, then new strings again ::facepalm:: , :lol: .
Note: Sorry for the old, dirty pillows, they are my guitar worksurface (but still no excuse to make "Stele" look, not as good, as she does :mrgreen: ::sotb:: ).
Attachments
DSCN1978.JPG
DSCN1979.JPG
DSCN1981.JPG
DSCN1982.JPG
DSCN1984.JPG
DSCN1985.JPG
DSCN1986.JPG
DSCN1987.JPG
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1989.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Hey Willy, as you know, I love the Beaver Creek travellers. I have the six and twelve strings and the bass. My ex has used the bass onstage and it worked ok. The 12 is kinda muddy but oh do I love my little black six string! Built in tuner, on board eq. It’s my fav at the moment.
Beaver Creek can certainly put out some good ones!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Can't agree enough ::nod:: . My acoustics are actually 3/4 scale dreadnoughts, parlor size if you will. OS and BVC both put out great guitars for sure How much more can you ask for under $200, especially the OS, came out off the shelf with bone nut and saddle, and very well finished frets. Fret ends do need a final polish, and I may roll the fingerboard edges. Other then that, since I switched out the bridge pins to brass, mud is all gone now. Low end is nice and sweet, with full resonance. She's a keeper now, for sure :D . Was a keeper before, now even more so.
I listened to a feller play a new BVC 12 string and it sounded amazing. Mind you it was a $450 model :roll: . You could try swapping the pins to bone/brass same as me. Wouldn't hurt, and if it does, what it did to mine, you'll be blown away for sure ::tu:: .
On to other news ….
Should of changed strings on stele long time ago! ::facepalm:: Sounds nothing like before (dead & muted, nothing like a proper tele should sound ::teary_eyes:: ). Now all up and proper (bright and spank, with great mid/low end on that custom lipstick, what a proper "stele" should sound like :D ). Sting changes at least once a month from now on! ::huff::
Anyway, have fun and jam on!
Winston Churchill

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Willie, that RED tele is a beauty. ::tu::
Since there are a couple of ukulele fans around here, I'll show off this OLD GRETSCH mahogany uke.
Don't know the age for sure, but due to the original owner passing away in the early 1960s, I'm assuming this thing is from the 1940s or 50s.
20191104_201349.jpg
20191104_201411.jpg
Oh yeah, here me and a buddy showing off my 12 string Yamaha and 6 string Fender back in the 1980s.
Got rid of both of those like a dummy.
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 3.50.33 PM.png
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The Gretsch makes me drool! I’d guess more like 30’s - 40’s. Lovely!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Another classic from Guy Clark

Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's my latest project. Found an el-cheapo stratocaster body of questionable origin online for really really cheap.
It came to me dressed in electric blue metal flake, but I've been channeling my inner Jimi Hendrix lately so I changed it to "purple haze" metal flake.
Before Pic
Before Pic
I need to add several more layers of clear coat over the coming weeks, but then I am getting a local pin-stripe artist to add some orange and white pinstripes. Should be popular with the local Clemson crowd!
Must be PLUM CRAZY to like this color.
Must be PLUM CRAZY to like this color.
Then gonna add a Mighty Mite replacement maple neck, replace all the chrome hardware, and add some Seymour Duncan old '59 mini humbuckers to complete the project. Will update when finished!
Jimi
Jimi
-Blue
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Very nice job!
I recently hauled out my first solid body, what’s left of it. It has no electronics anymore. I may try a refinish. The kid can prob help with the electrical.
I love purple. Who knows, we may end up with twins!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Lookin' good, Blue!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

It already looks great ranger ::tu:: . Your paint job turned out really good man. It's going to be a fun fun strat when your done, can't wait too see :D .
Winston Churchill

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Can this entire thread be moved to the new Music Forum?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

New member to the guitar family: Fender CD-60-SCE 12 string!
Just picked it up yesterday. Spruce top, mahogany back, sides, and neck. One of the picks against 12 string guitars (pardon the pun) has always been that they are difficult to tune.
Well, nowadays some of them come with a built in tuner! Also, a pre-amp and of course an output jack.
Not that an amp is necessary for this guitar, because it rings like a bell! :)
20191220_084547.jpg
20191220_084618.jpg
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's the latest view of my project Strat, "Purple Haze". Just got back from the pin stripe artist!
This is usually way too wild for me - but for this guitar, it fits. Since there is not a single Fender part on it, the head will not be marked "Fender". I'm mocking up some options for the decal I'm gonna use for the new neck.
Purple Haze.jpg
20191222_215529.jpg
-Blue
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Has anyone tried one of the Glarry strats? They have been all over youtube for the last year as the latest "cheap guitar" darlings. I don't know if the guitars are any good, but they certainly know how to play the social media game. They have given away electric & acoustic guitars to anyone with a youtube channel. I've watched dozens and dozens of "reviews" of the Glarry guitars - and all of them were free guitars sent to the youtubers. It's a brilliant strategy - they can give away 100 guitars that sell for $70 (free shipping!) and that's still FAR cheaper than the cost of even the smallest ad in a major music gear magazine. I would like to see a review from someone that did NOT receive their guitar for free.
https://www.glarrymusic.com/electric-gu ... =price-low

Of course, the real question is: are the $70 Glarry guitars any better (or worse) than the $120 Squire Bullet?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

That's comin' along right nice, Blue!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Purple is coming along awesome ::tu:: . And that Fender is sweeet!
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::hmm:: That's a great question TFL ::hmm:: . I have no idea, I might pick up 1 (or 2 :mrgreen: ) to try em' out. I've looked Glarry up before, but like most other things, keep on getting side tracked because I've got so many different things going on right now :roll: ::facepalm:: . I really do have to many things going on, health issues for ya!
Winston Churchill

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Just to change it up a little bit. Here's a 2011 Gibson Les Paul 1960s Tribute model. Honey burst finish, P90 pickups. Born in Nashville on Feb. 11, 2011.
20191230_204246.jpg
...and a DEAN, made in Korea in 2008. it's used. The exotica bubinga wood is fantastic, and I like the abalone inlays.
This guitar is IMPOSSIBLE to play sitting down. :)
Resized952019122995211707.jpg
-Blue
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You can say that again dude :shock: ::tu:: .
That LS rocks my soul baby! ::ds::
Willy :D
Winston Churchill

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet lookin' Gibson, Blue.
And being a fan of the Blues, that Dean made me think of Albert King and his flying V. Two nice ones there!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Thanks Steve & WillyC:
Here's a link to an article about Albert King's flying Vees:
https://www.vintageguitar.com/3813/albe ... flying-vs/

I'm a blues fan also! :)
-Blue
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Good read! Thanks for sharing that.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Very good read, thank you for sharing blue ::handshake:: . Strong blues fan here too ::tu:: .
Willy :D
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”