Jam Session

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Steve Warden

Jam Session

Post by Steve Warden »

Inspired by zoogirl's "Whatcha look like" post and WillyCamero's photo of his Peavey Riptide, I got to wondering what you folks play.
Here's my rig. A Fender Jazz bass, 2000 model, Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickups. I added the pickup covers (love the chrome!) and tug bar, going for an early '60s vibe. For those who don't know, yes, that's originally where Leo Fender had the tug bar. His thought was to use it to hang onto with your fingers while you plucked the strings with your thumb. It was later moved to the other side of the strings as an anchor for your thumb, then pick with your fingers. Since most players removed the bar and covers, Fender stopped putting them on their basses.
I don't play big venues, just our worship team. I'm certainly not the best player, but I sure have fun praising our Father!

So what do you play? Got pics? How 'bout some pics of you jamming, á la Ann.
20171210_094408.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Tony_Wood

Re: Jam Session

Post by Tony_Wood »

Nice base Steve.
My first bass was a Fender Mustang from the late 60’s.
It came paired with an Ampeg tube amp.
Both are now out of my possession. My son is set to inherit the same set up, Fender Mustang with Amoeg amp, from his grandfather. That combo is from the early 70’s.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks Tony. My opinion, can't go wrong with a Fender!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Nice - I still play mostly 80's metal and classic rock. Don't play out - just play madison square bedroom nowdays ::groove:: . Here's a pic of the jam room when I first got it together. Assortment of amps on other wall ...
guits.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A sweet baker's dozen there, John ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Not a guitar man but I like the plate on your light switch. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Had a group of buds that would get together and jam several times a month when the kids were small, I never played much but sang a little lead. Anyway the main guitar picker had a Gretsch because that's what Chet played. Other buddy had a fender bass and a Dobro tuned like a rhythm guitar, there was several brands of flatops and such laying around. We had a lot of fun for several years but life got in the way with ballgames and school and slowly quit getting together, plus I had my tonsils and adenoids removed and I couldn't hit the notes anymore. ::uc::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I’ll get out some of the ‘family’ tonight and put up pics.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
srm65

Post by srm65 »

My favorite is my 1956 Kay Bass Fiddle.
Attachments
DSCF8132.JPG
DSCF8134.JPG
Sidney Massingale
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I can see why! She's beautiful!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Way cool fiddle! Very nice, everyone.
Here are some of my guitar EDC’s over the last few years. I still own all of them, but they got rotated out, at least at the moment.
My main guitar right now is a tiny little acoustic/electric Beaver Creek. It’s marketed as a travel guitar. Sounds fine and almost disappears in a bus seat. Weighs nothing. It has an on board little EQ and, to my delight, a built in tuner.
So, roughly in order of when I was playing them-
CDD21C1D-DD4C-4DDE-97DC-AF2C4EDB1AE0.jpeg
Fender Classic with pickup
592CD6FF-763B-4576-AEBD-07C4B95971D4.jpeg
Fender T-Bucket 3/4 acoustic with built in electronics
670B3D69-FF2C-46D2-859C-E77025CD7FEC.jpeg
Fender Telecoustic. This is kind of oddball. It has a carbon fibre back. It’s sort of what would happen if a Tele and an Ovation had a baby.
BDCFC755-2614-4AA2-A8D8-7B7472891887.jpeg
Fender Sonoran. This is a thin line acoustic, again with built in electronics
54D67C26-A68D-4C2B-A167-C9E5A6BABF17.jpeg
Here’s the little Beaver Creek.
E62D2C28-4D74-4294-80D6-00D3692D6F7F.jpeg
My Wishbone 3/4 acoustic with pickup etc
ECAA4359-DC98-4575-9E6E-3115EA995D5E.jpeg
My candy apple Epiphone Dot. She weighs a ton!

Next is the World’s Meanest Ukulele!
36C9E9F3-F459-41EE-9AED-61D275E7E19B.jpeg
And my Mahalo Rockstar Uke, which is electric, and a couple of my uke club buddies.
522E8D86-1434-40EC-B5A1-79F0F6751F54.jpeg
Here’s what I look like just before I lose an argument with Frankie! It’s a bit we do in our Alice Cooper tribute show. This is during “Feed My Frankenstein”.
I
12217BB2-0558-4FB0-9DA6-FD849669AF87.jpeg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

srm65 wrote:My favorite is my 1956 Kay Bass Fiddle.
Great looking upright. I imagine her sound to be great!

Ann, nice line up of instrument. Acoustic, electric, and eclectic.

Here is a mandolin I built several years ago. It is played mostly by my wife.
ADFB286E-1F29-4B57-AEBD-01639CCD0677.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Oh Tony, that’s beautiful! I’d love to build a uke. Way too much work. I totally admire a craftsman who can build such a great instrument!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have dabbled in the playing of the five string banjo for quite a while, started with a non-credit course or two at UAB in the mid 70's.

I'm still not what I consider to be an accomplished player. I play at home, alone, but I'm good enough to cause Sarah to be humming whatever Old Time tune I am playing when I stop.

Since retirement, I have been taking a one hour lesson every other week from a local instructor. It's helping. ::pray::

When I first started, I wanted to play Bluegrass, like Earl Scruggs. Lofty, unattainable goal. ::facepalm::

The first pic was taken around Christmas, 1975. Guarantee, I was playing Cripple Creek.

I became disillusioned with that effort and dropped the instrument completely for many years, until I heard Tommy Thompson of The Red Clay Ramblers playing Old Time tunes Clawhammer style.

I took up that style of play and those kinds of tunes and that's what I do now.

Needed a different style of banjo for that, so I sold the Bluegrass type I had.

Next pic is a circa 1890's Lyon & Healy that I rebuilt.

Next is a banjo I built using a pot from a family owned banjo whose neck was irreparable. I used an antique neck. I sold that one to my cousin, whose father had possession of it before I obtained it.

Last pic is my go to banjo. It's a Clifford Essex, English made and just about a hundred years old. Very heavy and a great sound.

Charlie
Attachments
IMG_20150604_115726.jpg
Lyon & Healy.jpg
IMG_20150529_141601.jpg
IMG_20160915_124435.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great pics of some beautiful instuments and stories to go with them, folks.
Loving the Jam Session photos! Keep 'em comin'!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Oh my, I love those banjos! I have a little 1920’s banjolele. It needs work, as the pegs are loose, but I really want to take it to my uke group.
Great instruments, wonderful history.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Like to see our "other than knife" interests, especially those that involve music - this is fun. Keep 'em coming ::tu::

John
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Steve Warden wrote:Inspired by zoogirl's "Whatcha look like" post and WillyCamero's photo of his Peavey Riptide, I got to wondering what you folks play.
Here's my rig. A Fender Jazz bass, 2000 model, Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickups. I added the pickup covers (love the chrome!) and tug bar, going for an early '60s vibe. For those who don't know, yes, that's originally where Leo Fender had the tug bar. His thought was to use it to hang onto with your fingers while you plucked the strings with your thumb. It was later moved to the other side of the strings as an anchor for your thumb, then pick with your fingers. Since most players removed the bar and covers, Fender stopped putting them on their basses.
I don't play big venues, just our worship team. I'm certainly not the best player, but I sure have fun praising our Father!

So what do you play? Got pics? How 'bout some pics of you jamming, á la Ann.
20171210_094408.jpg
Thank ya sir! She is sure a sweet guitar, isn't she... ::sotb::
:lol:
Sweet Bass Setup! I bet those Seymour's sound good... ::drool:: Love the chrome and tug bar also... ::tu:: You have educated me sir... 8) It's all about the worship isn't it... ::nod: : :D.
I am slowly adding guitars to the pack, the peavey is my second. My first is a Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Jet black, chrome hardware. Great all round guitar to get ya going for not a lot of dough ($280 as a starter pack with basic amp and extras).
I'll get a pic of them 3 all together right away.
Thank you for starting this!
To bad i just about forgot about it...fibro fog and all... ::facepalm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Here they are...
A happy little family!
Attachments
DSCN0857.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Lansky1 wrote:Nice - I still play mostly 80's metal and classic rock. Don't play out - just play madison square bedroom nowdays ::groove:: . Here's a pic of the jam room when I first got it together. Assortment of amps on other wall ...

guits.JPG
Now that what i'm talking about my man! You said it Steve ::nod::
Well i'm on my way there...like knives... ::facepalm::
They are all sweet... have to have another good look after i quick blabbing here.
:lol: :lol:
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

So many nice Les Pauls and Strats and ES's my eyes glaze over...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Could you tell us about each one?
That custom on the end is awesome! Looks birds eye maple to me. Never saw a guitar styled like that...nice stuff ::nod::
I agree doglegg...that's the best of them all... :mrgreen:
I hear ya BigH... :mrgreen:
You said it Steve, she's a beauty... ::tu::
Awesome stuff Ann... ::tu:: Yo got nice guitars ::nod:: My favs are the Epi Dot and the world's meanest uke... :mrgreen:
Man Tony! You take me breath away! She's a beauty ::tu:: You said it zoo, luthiers are some of the most talented people out there (also knifemakers) :mrgreen:
Maybe down the road sometime i'll make a few guitars myself. Who knows. I know guitar customization is my cup of tea. Have big plans for the epi lp ::sneaky:: ::sneaky:: ::sneaky::
Good stuff Charlie... ::tu:: And really nice banjos!
Keep em' coming boys!
Willy
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Wow! Big long row of lol emojis. Hehe!
Winston Churchill

Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

WillyCamaro wrote:So many nice Les Pauls and Strats and ES's my eyes glaze over...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Could you tell us about each one? That custom on the end is awesome! Looks birds eye maple to me. Never saw a guitar styled like that...nice stuff ::nod::
Just a bunch of gear I've accumulated over 40 yrs of playing. Nothing super high end - my #1 is the dark green Gibson Les Paul Studio - nothing flashy, just has the mojo ... plays and sounds great - I wouldn't trade it for a Les Paul Standard. Notables include the white and lime green Carvin hardtails - hand made in California - best guitars nobody knows about. The quilted maple one is a BC Rich Mockingbird ... it's got 5 different kinds of wood in it - with a neck through design. The superstrats on the top row are dirt cheap on the used / eBay market - they're made by Cort - the higher end ones like these play phenominal and can be had for less than an off the rack Epiphone or Squire at Guitar Center.

John
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I dig it man!
I am with you on the Studio, the new ones look great on Gibson.
I have actually heard of them not that long ago, doing a pile of research on guitars. Used ones are pretty reasonable out there...for custom USA guitars... ::hmm:: Nether brand to add to the list... ::facepalm::
Of course it has to be a BC mockingbird ::tu:: From what i've seen they make some pretty sweet guitars. Buy em' off ebay for cheap ::ds:: . Yours is a real special one. If i had one guitar to choose from it would be that. Heck i'll take em' all... :mrgreen:
Thank you for reminding me about Cort! I wanted to look into them and now i know i'll be picking up a couple in the future. Good stuff ::nod::
Thanks a bunch for sharing ::tu::
Rock On!
Willy
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well time to update Jam Session.
New acoustic in the arsenal.
After thinking for awhile, i traded the Epi Les Paul player pack in for the most wonderful sounding, looking, built, fit n' finish, dreadnought acoustic you can get for $219 cnd. Shes the Oscar Schmidt OG2 in Trans Red. She a beauty! The finish is actually clear red. She shows the grain beautifully.
Here's the link, http://oscarschmidt.com/products/acoustics/og2.asp
This is what is on the website listing,
Dreadnought style
High gloss finish
Select spruce top
Catalpa sides & back
Standard X bracing
Rosewood fingerboard & bridge
Mahogany neck
Fully adjustable truss rod
Chrome die cast tuners
Lifetime warranty
The sound is wonderful, full and deep. There is no better buy for $220 anywhere, not kidding.
I think i hit a winner with this one!
Enjoy guys.
God Bless!
Attachments
DSCN0989.JPG
DSCN0990.JPG
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”