Let's talk Vinyl Music.

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Let's talk Vinyl Music.

Post by Old Folder »

After contacting Dale and Bryan in regards to establishing a New Forum to concentrate our various Music post's they have authorized this new topic.
This new "Music Forum" is for anything & everything music where you can post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
In the past I have noticed that there are over 700 posts within the Knife Forum alone relating to Music and weekly growing all over the road. Now we can consolidate our music interests in one location that we can all enjoy and learn.
Thank you Bryan and Dale. ::groove::

I shall start our NEW "Music Forum" off with LP Vinyl Records.

MAKE VINYL GREAT AGAIN!

Actually, vinyl is great again. Below are current LP vinyl records advertised in the Black Friday magazine ad from Target stores last week,
img058.jpg
img071.jpg
Revenge never sounded so sweet: When it comes to sales, vinyl records are finally turning the tables on CDs.
Hit that needle-scratch sound effect. Sales of vinyl records may soon start generating more annual income than compact discs for the first time since 1986, Rolling Stone reported on Friday.

1986? Yep, 1986, the year when top-selling albums included Madonna's True Blue, Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, and the Top Gun soundtrack. Take my breath away, indeed.

Not only have vinyl albums enjoyed constant growth in recent years, Rolling Stone reports, but CD sales have plummeted, according to the Recording Industry Association of America's 2019 midyear report.

CD sales are still ahead of vinyl sales, but barely, and dropping fast. Vinyl records earned $224.1 million over the first six months of 2019, selling 8.6 million units. CDs earned $247.9 million, selling 18.6 million units. Rolling Stone says last year's RIAA report shows CD sales are declining three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing.

Just because vinyl may soon outpace CDs doesn't mean music lovers are trading in their iTunes accounts for turntables. Streaming remains the most popular way to consume music, accounting for 80% of industry revenues, and growing 26%, to $4.3 billion, for the first half of 2019.

Below is a picture of my 400 plus LP Album collection that were in "Hibernation" until earlier this year.
Show yours!
IMG_0001.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Let's talk Vinyl Music.

Post by carrmillus »

.....I probably have 400 if you include the 7" 45 rpm records!!!............ ::tu:: ...................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I would but they were all ruined in the flood of 2006. I think probably in the neighborhood of 200 albums at the time. I never sat down and counted them.

TUBULAR BELLS!!! and when it would get to Tubular Bells (22:50) I would CRANK IT and just about blow my speakers out. Yeah!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Anything after that is just pleasant background music.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I loved my turntable, but it's been gone for over 25 years, and all my albums went with it. There was a Zen-like calm associated with the ritual of selecting an album, carefully extracting the record (while never, ever touching the surface), placing it on the turntable, cleaning the album with the Discwasher fluid and brush, then starting the turntable, placing the needle and lowering the cover over the turntable.

All of that for 15 minutes of music.

Now, all I do is say "Alexa, play classic rock."
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 am I loved my turntable, but it's been gone for over 25 years, and all my albums went with it. There was a Zen-like calm associated with the ritual of selecting an album, carefully extracting the record (while never, ever touching the surface), placing it on the turntable, cleaning the album with the Discwasher fluid and brush, then starting the turntable, placing the needle and lowering the cover over the turntable.

All of that for 15 minutes of music.

Now, all I do is say "Alexa, play classic rock."
How large is the speaker within your "Alexa" 2"? perhaps 3"?
Yes, you listen to music, but you don't actually hear it.
We get caught up in this "instant" music because we don't have time or perhaps don"t make the time to enjoy music.
This goes back to the question of whether you're an audiophile. If you just want something inexpensive and/or cute, like your "Alexa" the sound will in most cases be only so so.
You've been to live concerts TFL. You know the difference.

There are two basic reasons that people buy vinyl. You are an audiophile, and love the sound of analog recordings, or you simply like the aesthetics of vinyl records, packaging, and turntables. It can absolutely be both! But the aesthetics, the physical aspect of it, is pretty key to its appeal. These records are more beautiful and substantial than CDs, or instant music on demand from the "Alexa" which mostly have the look of office supplies, and they're the best way to make purchasing music feel like something. Vinyl allows you to have a sentimentality about albums — there's a tactile quality, a ritual to pulling a record out of a sleeve and putting it on and focusing your attention on the act of listening for a side at a time as you mentioned above. Even if you still mainly listen to music on your computer, iPod or phone, it gives you the option of having a more special experience with your favorite albums, and an object you can display in your home.
Dan
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I got our 17 year old son Sam a turntable for his birthday this past July. His taste in music is all about the old stuff, nothing modern for him. He loves 40's, 50's and early 60's music, big band jazz, Hank Williams Sr., Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Herman's Hermits, Cab Calloway, Elvis...he has no interest in trying to fit in or be trendy, he just likes what he likes and has no shame about it. So we have been slowly helping him grow his album collection, for Christmas he will be getting a Johnny Cash early years compilation of recordings from his Sun Studios days, a Fats Waller record, and a Henry Miller and his Band record. Along with an 11×14 framed black and white print of Frank Sinatra in the studio when he was very young.
The turntable we got him is just an inexpensive one, but the sound is decent, and he can unplug it and move it around the house from room to room which is cool. So we get to hear the Johnny Mathis record next to the Christmas tree!
Attachments
1576849912546515881836304648393.jpg
15768501367488664437366196718371.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I have about 300 vinyl records, but my greatest interest is in shellac.
I have a collection of over 1000 78rpm records of old time fiddle bands from the 1920's.
Artists include Gid tanner and his skillet lickers, Charlie Poole, Fiddlin John Carson, Frank Blevins and his tar heels rattlers,leake county revelers.
I also have a pretty complete collection of original Carter family 78's. I also have several vintage wind up phonographs.
Tim
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Got rid of most of them 30 years ago, but these few remain. Mostly Beatles, Rolling Stones, Clapton, and Eagles. :)
20191220_095154.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This is the only vinyl album I own. ::nod::

762710E9-DCD8-4D39-B521-23A69A8C2D60.jpeg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
srm65

Post by srm65 »

Are 45 RPM's worth anything? When my wife and I married back in 1972, I was a rock n' roller singing in a small band, so I had several albums. She had several 45's. She has tried to throw them away several times but I resisted. I noticed the other day a couple of Jackson five in the bunch. What say anyone?
Sidney Massingale
Sidney Massingale
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

srm65 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:10 pm Are 45 RPM's worth anything? When my wife and I married back in 1972, I was a rock n' roller singing in a small band, so I had several albums. She had several 45's. She has tried to throw them away several times but I resisted. I noticed the other day a couple of Jackson five in the bunch. What say anyone?
Sidney Massingale
I'm sure they would be worth something to someone that collects records, look on eBay and see what they are selling for.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I have almost all of Alice Cooper’s records on vinyl, right up to the current Hollywood Vampires release. I’m gonna have fun on here!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I remember back in my high school days, (1980 grad) getting home, putting an album on the stereo - Boston, Styx, Chicago..., putting on the headphones, and flopping down in my beanbag. I'd turn out the lights, close my eyes, and focus on trying to hear each instrument individually. Good times.

I got rid of all those albums when CDs came into vogue. My wife bought me a new stereo a couple years back and I've slowly been re-building the collection, only this time with the likes of the big bands and some blues artists.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

What a great thread - thank you

I sold all my records in 1985 - actually traded them for a comic book at the store [Silver Surfer #1]

Miss the Green Vinyl of Iggy Pop's "Kill City' but otherwise have gotten over vinyl.

Last Christmas I got, as a gift, a record player and vintage albums [Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty ] Have enjoyed that very much, but have not bought new vinyl since.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

313 Mike wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm I got our 17 year old son Sam a turntable for his birthday this past July. His taste in music is all about the old stuff, nothing modern for him. He loves 40's, 50's and early 60's music, big band jazz, Hank Williams Sr., Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Herman's Hermits, Cab Calloway, Elvis...he has no interest in trying to fit in or be trendy, he just likes what he likes and has no shame about it. So we have been slowly helping him grow his album collection, for Christmas he will be getting a Johnny Cash early years compilation of recordings from his Sun Studios days, a Fats Waller record, and a Henry Miller and his Band record. Along with an 11×14 framed black and white print of Frank Sinatra in the studio when he was very young.
The turntable we got him is just an inexpensive one, but the sound is decent, and he can unplug it and move it around the house from room to room which is cool. So we get to hear the Johnny Mathis record next to the Christmas tree!
Great story Mike. It appears as if your Son is going to have a pretty neat Christmas.
See if Sam enjoys the below site, "Fats Waller Favorites" included.
Just click and play. He can search ALL his favorite songs and artists on this site. It's amazing. (And free)
Over 212,000 78 RPMs and Cylinder Recordings.
4.5 million audio recordings total.
Let me know what you think.

https://archive.org/details/78rpm?and%5 ... aller&sin=
Dan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

313 Mike wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm I got our 17 year old son Sam a turntable for his birthday this past July. His taste in music is all about the old stuff, nothing modern for him. He loves 40's, 50's and early 60's music, big band jazz, Hank Williams Sr., Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Herman's Hermits, Cab Calloway, Elvis...he has no interest in trying to fit in or be trendy, he just likes what he likes and has no shame about it. So we have been slowly helping him grow his album collection, for Christmas he will be getting a Johnny Cash early years compilation of recordings from his Sun Studios days, a Fats Waller record, and a Henry Miller and his Band record. Along with an 11×14 framed black and white print of Frank Sinatra in the studio when he was very young.

Sooooooooooooooo cool bro!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

All of my vinyl went to my son and his friend where it’s still listened to today.
In our early years vinyl was “the” format for music.
Then came cassette tapes which were convenient for their portability (vehicle cassette players were all the rage) but definitely inferior in the sound quality department.
From there I believe we went to 8 track tapes. These were also convenient and portable (though a little less portable than cassettes) and had the added advantage of being an endless loop format. Handy if you were okay with listening to the same band non-stop (and particularly useful if you and your friends were stoners and didn’t feel like getting up to change the music)🤪.
Then came CD’s and the record companies started re-releasing everything they had on compact disc. It wasn’t uncommon for us to have dozens of CD’s laying around in the car. CD players were readily available for vehicles and also were available in portable units.
After CD’s compressed music started hitting the internet. MP3’s were readily available from a variety of sources (some legal and some not so much). Downloading tunes to be used in portable devices was the “new normal”. The slight loss of sound quality was worth it to make our music libraries portable. Portable MP3 players were everywhere.
Then came streaming services. Apple and I-tunes led the charge and set the industry on its ear by offering individual song purchases for .99 cents. There’s at least a half a dozen streaming services still out there with a variety of different pricing models.
While I agree that vinyl offers a better sound quality experience I’m also old enough to appreciate the ease and convenience of streaming services like Spotify. It’s nice not having to maintain a music library locally on my computer. And since I have a degree of deafness from eardrum nerve damage (they tell me it’s from all of the loud concerts I went to when I was younger), I can be perfectly happy with sound that comes from my Ultimate Ears portable Bluetooth speaker. A cold beer, a warm day, a portable speaker and a comfortable chair on the backyard deck with some streaming music and I’m good for the day.
Vinyl is making a comeback with the new generation in particular. I know that Detroit has at least one manufacturing facility for vinyl records/albums and I’m sure that there’s a few that I’m unaware of.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

After I heard the first CD I started to replace my favorite music with them and eventually just threw away my albums.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 am
Great story Mike. It appears as if your Son is going to have a pretty neat Christmas.
See if Sam enjoys the below site, "Fats Waller Favorites" included.
Just click and play. He can search ALL his favorite songs and artists on this site. It's amazing. (And free)
Over 212,000 78 RPMs and Cylinder Recordings.
4.5 million audio recordings total.
Let me know what you think.

https://archive.org/details/78rpm?and%5 ... aller&sin=
Wow, that is a really cool site, thanks so much for sharing the link!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the trek down memory lane Jeff! ::tu:: I could be wrong but as I remember it, 4-track came before 8-track, then followed by cassettes. I had an 8 track player (aftermarket, not factory) in my ‘67 Mustang which I acquired in 1971.

My taste in music has always varied a lot, even during the same time period. From early rock (Jerry Lee Lewis, Rolling Stones, Beatles), to folk (Bob Dylan, Joan Baez), to Motown (Otis Redding, Gene Chandler), Bluegrass (The Dillard’s, Flatt & Scruggs, Doc Watson), Country (Bob Wills, Lefty Frizzel, Willie Nelson), and Blues (B. B. King, Jimmy Reed, Delbert McClinton). Regardless of genre if I like it, I like it. ::shrug:: Not a fan of today’s Nashville country or hip-hop though.

My vinyl collection acquired during the 60’s and early 70’s has dwindled away to fewer than 100 records, not sure where they all went. Here’s some of what’s left. Aside from my grandparents’ old hand-cranked wind-up 78 RPM Victrola (which won’t play these), I don’t even have a turntable. ::facepalm::

Ken
Attachments
FD89ED72-1855-4039-8326-835069FB4CB5.jpeg
0D2E7E7F-F044-42AF-A84D-D49910410D0E.jpeg
E3218235-0B08-412C-BBEE-E90661CAD92C.jpeg
EC40141C-12BE-4957-A90C-32E1DB4EB2DB.jpeg
FF50C70D-1AAF-4B87-AA30-21726C436E4C.jpeg
1EE4C413-1071-4270-BFAF-40E10D8BEFCF.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yes, 4-track predated 8-track - but it wasn't really very popular compared to 45s & 33s. There was also reel-to-reel tape, which was even earlier, and for many years reel-to-reel was the only audiophile alternative to vinyl. 8-track & cassette were never considered audiophile grade.

OF: Don't misunderstand my earlier comment about Alexa - I absolutely agree with you. There is no question that in using the Alexa, I have traded quality for convenience. I also agree that it is all part of our current "instant satisfaction" society. We don't want to wait to hear a song, just like we now use vastly inferior instant food products instead of waiting for quality food to be prepared and cooked.

However, what I didn't tell you is that when I do want an audiophile music experience, I now turn to my collection of headphones and lossless digital recordings (in FLAC format), played through a high resolution digital-to-audio converter (DAC) and a dedicated headphone amplifier. There are pros and cons to headphones vs speakers, but the biggest reason I use headphones is that I no longer have a room that is suitable for quality listening, and with headphones I can use the volume level I like without bothering my wife (or the neighbors!)

My old ears are nowhere near what they were 40 years ago. If there is an audible difference between my high-res digital recordings and vinyl, I can't hear it. I'm not ashamed to admit that - I know it for a fact!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice headphone assembly TFL.
Mine are rather ancient.
I do not believe I ever disturb my neighbors, but my wife is not amused.
The decibels increase tremendously when she is visiting her friends/neighbors.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

samb1955 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:02 pm After I heard the first CD I started to replace my favorite music with them and eventually just threw away my albums.
"just threw away my albums"
Wow Sam, that was extreme.
Depending on your albums condition, rarity and demand, you may have thrown out a lot of $$$$.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Roy Orbison "Pretty Paper" with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Remastered to L.P. and CD. for Christmas 2017.
Click the "YouTube" link below.
file_e0ab883ce1_400sq (1).jpg
file_e0ab883ce1_400sq (1).jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

https://youtu.be/dTM_47abUSg
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I bought this album in a thrift store a few years ago. It isn't in a sleeve but it is in very good condition.
Attachments
DSCN1170.JPG
Joe

Return to “The Music Forum”