Let's talk Vinyl Music.

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Let's talk Vinyl Music.

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 pm You forgot to count the big scratch that went across the LP from when my sister borrowed my favorite album without asking...
That's why I never "loan" out my vinyl. They would never come back the same way they left.
Besides, I do enough damage on my own.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Got my first 33 1/3 album in 1956(a Hank Williams 3 album set that I still have)and never really stopped. Started getting into blues in 1961 with Lightnin' Hopkins and Muddy Waters. Had a large collection of 45's I sold in 64 when I went into the Navy. Have no idea how many albums I still have but there are a lot. Most are in the basement with my MCS(Modular Component Systems)3233 receiver and Garrard Lab100 turntable. The shop has a Marantz SR4000 receiver and turntable.
As for music preferences;I like just about anything from classical to country and blues but no RAP! Modern music just doesn't get it for me.
Here are a few of my favorites.
David Allan Coe
Hank Williams
Jack Scott
Jerry Jeff Walker
Kinky Friedman
Kitty Wells
Leo Kottke
Pure Prairie League
Ricky Skaggs
Roy Buchannan
Attachments
DavidAllanCoeOnceUponARhyme.JPG
HankWilliams36GreatestHits#1.JPG
JackScott#1.JPG
JerryJeffWalker.JPG
KinkyFriedmannSoldAmerican.JPG
KittyWellsCountryHitParade.JPG
LeoKottkeIceWater.JPG
PurePrairieLeagueBustin'Out.JPG
RickySkaggs&TonyRice.JPG
RoyBuchananSecondAlbum.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Your "Garrard Lab100 turntable" is a excellent turntable. My first turntable was a Garrard but I do not remember the model number. It was not as advanced as your Lab 100 though.
You have a fine selection of records. ::nod::
Can you set your system up in the basement?
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have set ups both in the basement and the shop. The basement one gets the most workout;or at least it did until No.1 son moved back in.And that is all I will say about that.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray, you have very good taste in music, even if I do say so myself.

Just remember. You can't spell "crap" without "rap".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

At least Ms. Barton did not toss the vinyl out.

Woman Turns Cheating Ex-Husband’s Vinyl Records Into Her Kitchen Floor
BY : JULIA BANIM ON : 22 JAN 2020 16:15
A mum-of-three has taken out her revenge on her cheating ex-husband through a means which will make record collectors up and down the country wince in agony.

Sonia Barton, 47, from Belper in Derbyshire, was keen to jazz up her lackluster kitchen, adding a bit of color and individuality to the design.

The children’s entertainer saw the perfect opportunity to transform her kitchen floor after eyeing up her ex-husband’s record collection, and took more than a bit of musical inspiration.

Sonia decided to make the vinyl records – which included Dire Straits, Jets Yazz, Hands Up, Showaddywaddy and Paper Lace – part of the floor, using them as striking decorating materials.

She has spent an estimated £2,500 ($3,280.78 United States Dollar) on revamping her kitchen, transforming it into a colorful – and slightly vengeful – culinary wonderland. The most costly part of the decorating project apparently involved sourcing 5,000 miniature flower buttons that make up part of the floor.

Luckily, the time and money has paid off, with the revenge floor reportedly giving Sonia daily doses of joy:

Some of them are my ex-husband’s. It amuses me, it makes me laugh every time I walk in the kitchen and see them.

Each section is bordered by small tiles because I didn’t want to do it all in one go so I could still use my kitchen.

Sonia kicked the project off in October 2018 after opting for a complete overhaul to her kitchen, installing a new floor, worktops, doors, drawers, kick-board and architrave in the process.

Alongside other items, she chose to include some vinyl from her ex-husband’s collection, making each part of the floor in small stages so she could carry on using her kitchen.

IMG_3493.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some background music while I work on the Bill's.
20200401_111118.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

KNIFE7NUT : Going through some old posts and saw yours on Jack Scott. He had a cool , low voice. Our band was ready to record his old hit, "Burning Bridges" then we broke up ! Last year a lady friend of ours gave me a pair of 1960's Bozaks. They were her Dad's and she almost put them on the dump!
I have lots of vinyl in great shape and I'm sure you can appreciate how it sounds on those Bozak's. They're hanging in my shop. Doesn't take a lot of wattage to drive them, but they weigh about 60 lbs. apiece. Hence, the ropes holding them up. Lucky me ! :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1874.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

I love all the old hillbilly stuff on Starday and king labels. Real country music, by god!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Dobrp59: Are you a Dobro player? I was in two bands with the great Mike Auldridge for ten years. What a player and what a guy. Miss him every day. J.O'.
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

Yes sir i am , but am amateur compared to Mike. He and Jerry Douglas are my favorites. I play mostly by tab, but i stil love it!!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

::tu:: Stay with it. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Ever heard of Josh Swift ? Played with Doyle Lawson for a few years. He's a hoss! J.O'.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

How about Smiley Burnett singing Catfish take a look at that worm!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Smiley Burnett! Now that's going back a ways! to the likes of Gene Autry, Ray Whitley, (with and for whom Gibson designed and built the first SJ-200 guitar in 1937), Jimmy Wakely, Roy Rogers. All the great "Singin' Cowboys". ::tu:: J.O'.
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

I love vinyl records. My parents put together a good collection at one time. To listen to it, I have a completely modern vinyl turntable. The old one broke down about a year ago, but recently we bought an Audio-Technica Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable. Here is a review of our turntable, if anyone is interested.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dobro59 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:47 am I love all the old hillbilly stuff on Starday and king labels. Real country music, by god!
You might like Sid King, who was an early “Rockabilly” pioneer from the 50’s. When he wasn’t performing with his band he was a barber (his real name is Sid Erwin) who owned a barber shop in my hometown, and used to cut my hair. The barber shop was a mini-museum with a lot of memorabilia including “bills” from the Big D Jamboree and the Louisiana Hayride, among others. One of which had his band, Sid King and the Fivestrings, as the featured headline act, and one of the second bill, opening acts was some guy named Elvis Presley. ::woot:: Sid’s brother Billy was also in the band (lead guitar) and also a barber in the same shop. Often when not cutting hair they jammed in the shop.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Beautiful old Gibson, looks like a J-100.. Nice old Strat too. Big $$$$$ today!!! J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

They were rock and roll pioneers, unfortunately unknown by most. For those interested here’s some more about Sid King and the band. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/SidKing1.html At least into the 1990s they were still touring occasionally, mainly in Europe and England where they were more well known. Sid was an avid bass fisherman and retired to East Texas sometime around 2000. Billy continued cutting hair for several years but sadly passed away a couple of years ago. The last time I went by the old barber shop it had closed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

Hey, mumbleypeg , yes i like sid king and the 5 strings. Cool that he was your barber!!!

Return to “The Music Forum”