Favorite Blues/Rock songs/guitarists

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Favorite Blues/Rock songs/guitarists

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hard to top this.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Fantastic! ::ds::

I didn't know much about Albert King, so I peeked into his Wikipedia page. This is pretty funny:
King's identity was a longtime source of confusion. He stated in interviews that he was born in Indianola on April 25, 1923 (or 1924), and was a half-brother of B.B. King (an Indianola native) but, documentation suggests otherwise. King stated that whenever he performed at Club Ebony in Indianola, the event was celebrated as a homecoming, and he cited the fact that B.B.'s father was named Albert King. However, when he applied for a Social Security card in 1942, he gave his birthplace as "Aboden" (most likely Aberdeen, Mississippi) and signed his name as Albert Nelson, listing his father as Will Nelson. Musicians also knew him as Albert Nelson in the 1940s and early 1950s.
My kind of guy - he was doing anonymous way before the internet!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Note that Albert is playing that guitar upside down, left-handed! :lol: I’m sure left-handed folks can appreciate - you make do with what you have. (I’m not left-handed, but have one son and one grandson who are, and have watched them master a right-handed world.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not blues/rock, but a truly amazing guitarist.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ken—Roy Clark was a master!!👍👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

My faves, not saying best.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Jeff Beck
4. Billy Gibbons
5. Jerry Garcia
6. Alex Lifeson
7. Peter Green
8. Richie Blackmore
9. Dwayne Almond
10. Joe Walsh
11. David Gilmore
12. Randy Rhoads
13. Randy Hanson
14. Ron Wood
15. Brian May
16. Lindsey Buckingham

Liked surfing through this post but was really surprised there wasn't more comment on Mr. Hendrix. To this day I've never heard better. But it's relative. He plays feedback and distortion, doesn't just make the noise, he plays it integrated into the melody. Plays backwards, upside down, with tongue, teeth, behind his back. For all the talk of S. R. Vaughn, nothing against him either, but he said he finally realized he could really play when he figured out Voodoo Chile Slight Return. Hendrix is the standard and measuring stick. I go visit his grave every year. They can't keep the lipstick off his images.
Attachments
WP_20181127_010.jpg
WP_20181127_023.jpg
WP_20181127_044.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No argument here about Hendrix. I just never was a fan. BTW when Hendrix was asked what it’s like to be the greatest guitarist whomever lived, he reportedly replied “I don’t know, you need to ask Roy Clark”. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

No arguement with that either Mpeg, agreed. Hendrix also said on another occasion that he thought Billy Gibbons was the best guitarist of the day. Always deflecting away from himself. Roy's great, grew up watching Hee Haw every Saturday night. Glen Campbell too, lots of country and bluegrass pickers that are incredible. That's why I made clear it was my fave, not the best. I don't even go there. To me there is no best, there are however, many greats and tons of favorites.
Forgot one thing too. Jimi H had a dictatorial father who "made" him by threat of beatings, to play right handed, believing it was evil and of the devil to play left handed. He consequently would flip the guitar upside down whenever his dad walked in the house, or room or could see him so he would be seen to be playing right handed. He had to not only look like he was playing right handed, he had to sound like he was right handed and be able to play the same chords and notes with totally different, upside down fingerings. Think about it. Many including Ron Wood and Jeff Beck saw him flip the guitar upside down and play it like it was right side up. No information here, but I have never heard of anyone, including Roy Clark who could do that. So at the very least, I think Jimi H was IMO the one and only ambidextrous guitarist. And the best that I have ever seen play it upside down and behind his back and with strings in reverse order. Unbelievable. And he could take his fingering hand and instead of holding his hand from the underneath side with fingers up, he could put his hand over the top and put his fingers pointing down and still play the same notes. Try that one. Do you play? I do and Jimi blows your mind and does it like it's nothing. Like driving sitting upside down in the passenger seat.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don’t play any instruments, and I can’t sing worth a flip but I do try if singing with a group, like in church. My musical “talent” is mostly listening and appreciating, and I do love music. My taste is fairly eclectic, just about anything except hip-hop and rap, so I really don’t have a favorite genre. Some of my favorite artists are those who defy classification and thus are under-appreciated - they can’t be pigeonholed as belonging to a certain musical genre. We have a number of those types in Texas - Delbert McClinton, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Joe Ely just to name a few. I appreciate good lyrics. Texas is such a diverse musical melting pot of blues, country, rock, Rockabilly, Bluegrass, Western Swing, conjunto, zydeco, polka, I grew up exposed to and like them all, and you’ll find examples accordingly in my music collection.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: Lead guitarist here ain’t too shabby! Bill Hinds

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 am Hard to top this.

Ken
SRV is the greatest!!
Albert King ain't bad either :D
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Outstanding guitar, slide steel and banjo too - jam session starts about 5 minutes in.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sue Foley accompanying Wayne Hancock. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I think Hendrix invented heavy metal guitar playing. He's one of my favorite guitar players.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

And here's the one song/guitar piece to top all guitar songs, for the rest of time.

For peat sake, he plays it fingerstyle, on a 12 string.

:shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I could listen to this guy forever!

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 am I could listen to this guy forever!

Ken

Hey Ken! You just found my guitar hero. Man o' man, I can listen, and watch him play all day. Thank you so much for sharing ::handshake:: ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”