Favorite Blues/Rock songs/guitarists

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
wlf

Re: Favorite Blues/Rock songs/guitarists

Post by wlf »

Don’t know if this has been posted, won’t hurt playing again:

[youtube] https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... LPHz8KT9No[/youtube]
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

wlf wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm Don’t know if this has been posted, won’t hurt playing again:

[youtube] https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... LPHz8KT9No[/youtube]
👍👍👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

The great David Gilmour...

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 am The great David Gilmour...

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Nailed it TFL ::tu:: .

I keep gravitating back to those videos, unreal how good of a guitarist he is... Heck, i'm wearing a pink floyd tee shirt right now, "Dark Side of The Moon" cover...

After Tommy Emanuel and Mark Knopfler, Gilmour is my all time favorite musician/guitarist. How he does string bending, the way he does string bending, is beyond me. Not to mention his feel for timing, perfect execution, and masterful use of effects, to create all those wonderful soundscapes, he makes. And add on top of all that, a songwriting ability that's second to non. Through his music, he's able to touch a deeper part of the human spirt. Very few musicians in the last 40 years, heck, this last century, have written such meaningful, almost spiritual songs, in the way he did/does.
And that's the short end of the stick, you almost can't put it into words... Only by listening to his/pink floyd's songs, do you start to understand what he's trying to say through his music.
Allot like Bono/U2, except there a bit more direct in there messaging. Edge is also a great guitarist, as is Peter Frampton. Ah heck, all guitarists are awesome in my book, you really can't pick one over another ::nod:: .

I think, i'll now go, plug me ear buds in, and listen to that awesome guitar again, thanks for sharing it TFL ::handshake:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
TwoFlowersLuggage

The ORIGINAL Yes from the 1970s, with Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Chris Squire & Alan White. I went through an "album rock" phase where all I listened to was Yes, Rush, Queen, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc... The best songs were at least 7 or 8 minutes long... :lol:

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
TwoFlowersLuggage

Last one tonight...

I played the grooves off this album (as did everyone that went to high school in the late 1970s). I never saw them in concert - I wish I had. Fun fact: Tom Stoltz, the lead guitarist, graduated with a Master's degree in Engineering from MIT. Also, check out the bass player in this video - cocaine was obviously very easy to obtain in 1979...

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Willy, TFL—👍👍
Ryan

MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

So many great performances. Wizards all.
Here is the one I keep returning to.... Prince schooling the world with a solo during While My Guitar Gently Weeps. The smile on Dhani Harrison’s face at around the 3:20 mark says it all. He knows what’s coming. Watch Prince’s technique. Enjoy.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... LTWy63Sgd7

MT-Vessel
Empty vessels make the most noise...
TwoFlowersLuggage

Ha! I almost posted that video of Prince, Tom Petty, etc last night! Prince was a freak, but the guy could play!

Today, the complete Led Zeppelin Celebration Day concert from 2007 was released on Youtube. If you haven't heard it - do it now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqIEeyOz4w

Here's one of my favorites, Kashmir - I think this is one of the best versions they ever did.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not blues, not rock, and not blues/rock. Y’all are gonna laugh at me but this guy is a picker! He is not unknown to any of you but you may never have heard him play before.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage

Chet Atkins was a GREAT guitarist. I'm not sure if that is just a trick of the perspective, but that guitar's fretboard looked really wide and flat. Parts of the song remind me of flamenco. Great stuff!

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Great posts everyone!!!👍👍👍
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:03 pm Chet Atkins was a GREAT guitarist. I'm not sure if that is just a trick of the perspective, but that guitar's fretboard looked really wide and flat. Parts of the song remind me of flamenco. Great stuff!
A few posts up in this thread I posted a song from Joe Ely featuring the Dutch-born (he’s a U.S. citizen now) guitarist/luthier Teye who at the time was lead guitarist in The Joe Ely Band. His playing there is greatly flaminco-influenced.

Here’s a couple more showing the amazing skills of Tye. First a flamenco - most of the accompanying musicians are from the Joe Ely band (the male flamenco dancer dressed in all black is Joe Ely himself).

Next and more aligned with this thread is Teye jamming blues/rock, with one of the guitars he made. Seems he’s more famous now for his guitars than his playing, but he’s about as good as any IMHO.

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

TwoFlowersLuggage

Great stuff Ken!

A few years ago, I saw Santana when they toured with the new Journey (without Steve Perry :( ), anyway, what I never knew was that once upon a time, a 17 year old Neal Schon (who later formed Journey) played in Santana! Check out the 'fro Neal is rockin'!!

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hard to top this.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

TwoFlowersLuggage

Fantastic! ::ds::

I didn't know much about Albert King, so I peeked into his Wikipedia page. This is pretty funny:
King's identity was a longtime source of confusion. He stated in interviews that he was born in Indianola on April 25, 1923 (or 1924), and was a half-brother of B.B. King (an Indianola native) but, documentation suggests otherwise. King stated that whenever he performed at Club Ebony in Indianola, the event was celebrated as a homecoming, and he cited the fact that B.B.'s father was named Albert King. However, when he applied for a Social Security card in 1942, he gave his birthplace as "Aboden" (most likely Aberdeen, Mississippi) and signed his name as Albert Nelson, listing his father as Will Nelson. Musicians also knew him as Albert Nelson in the 1940s and early 1950s.
My kind of guy - he was doing anonymous way before the internet!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Note that Albert is playing that guitar upside down, left-handed! :lol: I’m sure left-handed folks can appreciate - you make do with what you have. (I’m not left-handed, but have one son and one grandson who are, and have watched them master a right-handed world.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not blues/rock, but a truly amazing guitarist.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ken—Roy Clark was a master!!👍👍
Ryan

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

My faves, not saying best.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Jeff Beck
4. Billy Gibbons
5. Jerry Garcia
6. Alex Lifeson
7. Peter Green
8. Richie Blackmore
9. Dwayne Almond
10. Joe Walsh
11. David Gilmore
12. Randy Rhoads
13. Randy Hanson
14. Ron Wood
15. Brian May
16. Lindsey Buckingham

Liked surfing through this post but was really surprised there wasn't more comment on Mr. Hendrix. To this day I've never heard better. But it's relative. He plays feedback and distortion, doesn't just make the noise, he plays it integrated into the melody. Plays backwards, upside down, with tongue, teeth, behind his back. For all the talk of S. R. Vaughn, nothing against him either, but he said he finally realized he could really play when he figured out Voodoo Chile Slight Return. Hendrix is the standard and measuring stick. I go visit his grave every year. They can't keep the lipstick off his images.
Attachments
WP_20181127_010.jpg
WP_20181127_023.jpg
WP_20181127_044.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No argument here about Hendrix. I just never was a fan. BTW when Hendrix was asked what it’s like to be the greatest guitarist whomever lived, he reportedly replied “I don’t know, you need to ask Roy Clark”. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

No arguement with that either Mpeg, agreed. Hendrix also said on another occasion that he thought Billy Gibbons was the best guitarist of the day. Always deflecting away from himself. Roy's great, grew up watching Hee Haw every Saturday night. Glen Campbell too, lots of country and bluegrass pickers that are incredible. That's why I made clear it was my fave, not the best. I don't even go there. To me there is no best, there are however, many greats and tons of favorites.
Forgot one thing too. Jimi H had a dictatorial father who "made" him by threat of beatings, to play right handed, believing it was evil and of the devil to play left handed. He consequently would flip the guitar upside down whenever his dad walked in the house, or room or could see him so he would be seen to be playing right handed. He had to not only look like he was playing right handed, he had to sound like he was right handed and be able to play the same chords and notes with totally different, upside down fingerings. Think about it. Many including Ron Wood and Jeff Beck saw him flip the guitar upside down and play it like it was right side up. No information here, but I have never heard of anyone, including Roy Clark who could do that. So at the very least, I think Jimi H was IMO the one and only ambidextrous guitarist. And the best that I have ever seen play it upside down and behind his back and with strings in reverse order. Unbelievable. And he could take his fingering hand and instead of holding his hand from the underneath side with fingers up, he could put his hand over the top and put his fingers pointing down and still play the same notes. Try that one. Do you play? I do and Jimi blows your mind and does it like it's nothing. Like driving sitting upside down in the passenger seat.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “The Music Forum”