Hank Williams Sr.

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Hank Williams Sr.

Post by Ridgegrass »

Happy Birthday Hank,Sr. 97 today. For any of you who didn't know, Hank was 29 when he died ! The pathos and pain in some of his songs is heart-wrenching. Some biographer said he was "Like a man who lived a hundred years and had the blues everyday of it". (paraphrased) Hope he's at peace wherever he is.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hank Williams Sr.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for remembering Hank. I probably have everything he ever recorded. It’s so tough to pick a favorite from his songs, he wrote and performed so many great songs during his all too brief career. But ironically probably my favorite by Hank is a song he didn’t write himself, even though it could be considered a biographical of his life.

Here’s Hank covering Mr. Leon Payne’s Lost Highway. R.I.P. Hank. Gone from this earth, but never forgotten.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

He was a handsome lad. Died January 1st 1953. I remember listening to him on the radio.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I was listening to that song 5 minutes before I saw your reply! Great minds......
He was 26 when he recorded "May You Never Be Alone Like Me". That one is painful! You're absolutely right, you can't pick a favorite. HE'S the favorite.
Like to recommend HANK WILLIAMS-SNAPSHOTS FROM THE LOST HIGHWAY, by Colin Escott and Kira Florita.(Da Capo Press)c.2001. Ir's full of heretofore unpublished photos, letters, and material. Great read for a Hank fan. Thanks, J.O'.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I like this jaunty, uplifting tune. Go Hank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hzYRVAkUs
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm I like this jaunty, uplifting tune. Go Hank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hzYRVAkUs

Here’s another jaunty, humorous one for ya, Joe.

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

My dad was a big Hank Williams fan and went to several of his Texas shows (Waco, Austin, Houston - never the north Texas shows, too far to drive back then).

When ever something came up about Hank Williams, the story of him getting into Hank's last show in Austin at the Skyline Club would come up. Hank dieing 2 weeks later really shook my dad up.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Ken. ::tu::
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

FRJ wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm Thanks, Ken. ::tu::
All you forgot was to sandwich it between the [youtube][/youtube] brackets. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Probably a dumb question but how did he die? I'm not much of a country music fan.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Hank was an alcoholic and addicted to a pain medicine called Chloralhydrate that he was "prescribed" by a fake doctor. He was being driven to a New Year's performance in W. Va.. His driver, Charles Carr, pulled over in Oak Hill, W.Va. to check on him and found him "unresponsive", probably dead at that time. The exact time of death was never determined. He may have been dead at 10:45 pm. when they carried him to the car at the beginning of the trip in Knoxville, TN. "Early in the morning of January 1,1953 Carr found him 'blue and 'lifeless." He was 29 years old.
(I'm not being an "expert" here. I'm quoting the above mentioned authors.) J'O'.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I love Hank Sr.! He’s probably my favorite artist of all time, any genre of music. And his life! What a story, heart break, excruciating physical pain, and substance abuse.

In the songs he wrote, he had the uncanny gift of taking the simplest, most mundane, common things and using them to describe deep emotions. In my opinion that’s why he was and is so popular. He could get to the heart of a matter with profoundly simple words.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Another one gone well before their time, there was a spate of them in that period. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Big Bopper, Patsy Cline. And Waylon Jennings gave up his seat in the Buddy Holly crash. I apologize for taking over your thread. Everyone have a safe weekend, especially those in fire zones or the Hurricane and Flood states. ::handshake::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. Way more influential than even the Beatles.

Died at 29, yet he wrote 167 songs. He recorded 225 songs in his 5 year career. Amazing.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Nice to see the Hank fans chatting on his Birthday.

BTW: It's also the 158th anniversary of the Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam. Bloodiest day in American History
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........I was disappointed that there was so little about him on the country music special that ETV did. I think they shortchanged him and hank, jr.!!!............ ::td:: ::td:: ::td:: ..................
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

eveled wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 pm I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. Way more influential than even the Beatles.

Died at 29, yet he wrote 167 songs. He recorded 225 songs in his 5 year career. Amazing.
I agree, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Some have called him the father of rock-n-roll. Imo, if not the father, at least the grandfather.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

samb1955 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:00 pm Probably a dumb question but how did he die? I'm not much of a country music fan.
Hank Williams was born with a condition called spina bifida, which caused lifelong pain. That combined with a very troubled marriage probably led to alcoholism. Then he injured his back when he fell while hunting, which required surgery. After which he became addicted to a pain killer called chloral hydrate, prescribed by a quack fake doctor (who paid $25 for a degree in medicine). The night of his death he became severely ill during the trip to his next performance, scheduled for New Years Day 1953 in Canton, Ohio. The December weather was too poor to fly so he hired someone to drive him in his Cadillac. During the drive Hank became ill (probably as a result of the combination of alcohol and pain medicine).

The driver stopped in Knoxville and found a doctor, who injected Williams with a mixture of vitamin B12 and morphine.
With Williams in the back seat of his Cadillac, the driver eventually stopped for gas at a station in West Virginia. Hank Williams was dead in the back seat. He was 29 years old.

Ironically his death was just a few weeks after the November release of Hank’s I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive which was a hit at the time of his death.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:20 pm
"it" .... "youtube brackets" ........ ?? ...... what happened .....................
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:56 am
1967redrider wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:20 pm
"it" .... "youtube brackets" ........ ?? ...... what happened .....................
Joe, “it” needs to look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19vApPwWqh8. You get the YouTube brackets from the header above the dialog box, right up there ^^^. Just click on that box where it says YouTube, which puts those brackets into your dialog box, like this [youtube][/youtube]. Then in between the ] and [ in the middle, you paste the link you copied from YouTube. Then you modify what you pasted. You had it right, but you didn’t get that [youtube][/youtube] from the box up there.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I tried the youtube thing and the blinking curser in the middle but the Paste goes to the right.
I think I'll just do it as I did before. It seemed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StyKrwHhWdM
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:13 am I tried the youtube thing and the blinking curser in the middle but the Paste goes to the right.
I think I'll just do it as I did before. It seemed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StyKrwHhWdM
:lol: It does that to me sometimes too. That’s why the Good Lord gave us a backspace button on our keyboards! ::tu:: Just put your cursor to the right of the “YouTube thing” and backspace it out until you get to the middle (you’ll erase all the [/youtube] on the right. Now paste in your copied link. Then with your cursor to the right of the pasted link, go back to the top and click on the YouTube box again. Now you’ll have [youtube][/youtube] to the right of your pasted link. Put our cursor in the middle between the ][ and backspace all the way back to the last character in your pasted link. Now you have this (hit the quote button on this post and you’ll be able to see what it looks like).

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, that's the thing with me and these incredibly frustrating chicken traps. I can scarcely manage the minimum of tasks
and am at a loss when insubordination creeps in to the computers attitude canal.

[youtube][/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw_XLz ... Nr[youtube]
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

FRJ wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:49 am Well, that's the thing with me and these incredibly frustrating chicken traps. I can scarcely manage the minimum of tasks
and am at a loss when insubordination creeps in to the computers attitude canal.

[youtube][/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw_XLz ... Nr[youtube]
...I'm so glad to know that I am not alone!!!!!........... ::pray:: ...........

Return to “The Music Forum”