"Mail Call"... Your new musical items here...

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
WillyCamaro

"Mail Call"... Your new musical items here...

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sup guitarists/musicians/musical lovers, think it's high time to start a "mail call" thread. This is where you post all, or as few, of those new guitars/pedals/fiddles/mandolins/picks/ect., or even any of your long time loved treasures (Hey Zoo! Show off all those amazing vintage harmony's you keep finding, that's an order! :mrgreen: ).

I'll start with 2 new pedals from yesterday.
My go-to small-town dealer gave me a great deal on these, especially considering they're boutique.

:D

Whatcha you got to share with all us?

::handshake::
Attachments
DSCN3955.JPG
DSCN3954.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Stanwade

Re: "Mail Call"... Your new musical items here...

Post by Stanwade »

Sweet gear Willy!😁👍

Now we just need a video of you shredding on one of your guitars using it!!👍 Does your volume control go to "11" on your amp?😁🤣

Oh, and R.I.P Eddie..
Attachments
Screenshot_20201009-153035.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you Ryan, appreciate the compliments ::handshake:: .
And I just checked... She "only" goes to 10.
Bummer!
Time to upgrade more gear :mrgreen: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

1956 Gibson Country/Western Model, Serial #: V-4394-5. Bought it from the original owner 2 years ago. Great shape, original and a boomer. Play it every day. Plays itself! I'm not a collector, just lucky!
J.O'.
Attachments
WindyRidge-Signature-137.jpg
WindyRidge-Signature-137.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
IMG_0792 (1).jpg
IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Niiiiiiiice!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You said it Steve. That's one heck of a, mighty fine example of, a vintage Gibson John. My mouth bought hit the floor when I saw you posted it; like you said, right place, right time. Especially considering it's very early production/serial/year. Did a quick googly, they are worth quite a pretty penny (probably ballparking a D18/28 of the same era.
I bet it sounds as good as it looks, projection out of this world. Like they say... There's nothing like a good vintage guitar to get the fingers movin'.
Well done sir ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......need to get out my harmonica and see if I've got enough wind to blow it!!!!............. ::facepalm:: ....................
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Willy C. It's a great axe As I said before, I'm no "collector" but I know a great thing when it comes along. My son is a really good musician and singer so you know where it will go when I cross over. Check him out at Markodellmusic or Mixed Business Trio, or me at johnodellmusic.com. That's a '59 D18 on the title page. Thanks again.. Are you a picker?
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ok, I didn't know about your son, that he covers all the classic rock. I'm always on the lookout for new music/musicians, helps me to broaden my appetite/ repertoire. Thank you for letting us know John, will definitely take a listen to what he has to offer.

Me, as being quite new to the world of guitar/music, my interests/appetites are always changing, so I don't know if i'm into picking yet.
:lol:

Ah, heck, I'll play anything! If it sounds good/great/beautiful, has interesting guitar/instruments, I'll learn to play it ::tu:: . Right now i'm really into melodic blues, rhythm guitar, melodic & rhythmic lead (which is basically any good guitar, you name it, I like it. :D ).

I'm still in the early-mid intermediate stage (everyone I play for say i'm getting better, there's hope!), so it's all new to me.
Been playing/learning full bore for a little over a year now, and having a blast!
I love both acoustic and electric, more to the acoustic side. I'm wanting to get me a nice hollowbody jazz or Gretch electromatic for my next guitar, think it'll add a lot to my sounds/tones. Or a thinline tele would be awesome too!
Oh man, it's always N+1, it'n it?

Ya, that D18 looks sweet too!

How do you say it stacks up against the Gibson? Similar sound/playability, or quite different?

Me, for my next acoustic, is either going to be a Seagull, Washburn, or Riversong. I love how the models i've tried out from Washburn, and River sound/play, with prices that don't break the bank.
Really want to try out an Seagull S6, they do sound wonderful though my studio headphones. Even though, as we all know, nothing like playing a guitar in the real ::nod:: .

Oh well, nuff of my long winded yacking, time to go play some guitar!
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

The 18 is a monster. Just had Jeff Hostetter in Red Lion, PA do some set up work on it. He's the best luthier around. It plays great and sounds beautiful. When I got it about 20 years ago the bridge was split and coming off. I had a new Brazilian rosewood bridge made. The 18 is so lightly made it' weighs about as much as a mandolin, and that's what makes it so loud and clear. She's a smokey old girl, not much to look at if you're into "pretty" but that ain't what they're for. Lots of Nashville music is recorded on 18's because they're so bright and clean.
Keep playing Pal. it's a great way to live. Regards, J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1512.jpg
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Forgot to answer your question on the comparison of the D18 to the Gibson CW. Martins and Gibsons can't be directly compared. Each has a tone that is essentially and uniquely different from the other. Gibsons tend to be clear in every string, like six different and distinct voices singing together. Martins have a powerful, solid sound. It's hard to describe tone without having the instruments in your hands. Every time I play either one I say to myself, "This is the best guitar I own", and then I play the other and say the same thing. They're both great for different reasons.(This isn't clearing anything up, is it?!) I'm just lucky to have them. J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You described it very well John, I have a pretty good idea in my head how they both sound now ::handshake:: .

And your D18 tis most lovely, it's awesome you've found a really good luthier to take care of any issues ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Jeff Hostetter at STRINGED INSTRUMENT REPAIR in Red Lion, PA. The highest compliment I can pay him is to trust him doing major surgery on my old guitars. He's a master. No offense to any guitar mechanics out there but "they ain't all experts" and,sadly, I have seen some rather poor work from some. I'd ship any guitar of mine to Jeff. He's always "minimally invasive" doing his repairs . He saved a 1962 D-28 of mine that was in a rainstorm and put away wet. The action was 3/4" high, the back and top had separated from the sides in a couple places. I thought it was totaled. Martin didn't even want to tackle it. Jeff did his magic on it 13 years ago and it still plays great, even better than before it happened. I'm rambling but you get the point. Guys with talent like that are few and far between.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That's awesome John ::tu:: . It's always wonderful when you can save a guitar like that, especially a D28 ::nod:: .

Btw, from your experience, what would be the best budget alternative to an actual D18?
I know one of my 2 "go-to" guitar guys handles Sigma guitars, and there small body, folk model, is pretty sweet for the price (tried it out).
Options, options, options.
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willy C, Sorry, don't know much about newer guitars. Newest thing I have is an '82 Guild F-50. It's behind the D18 in the pic. Truth is guitar technology has come a long way. You don't have to go vintage to get a good sound. Blueridge is a good one and I like older Sigmas and 70's era Yamaha FG 150's and 180's. A great guitar that pleases you is worth whatever you have to pay. You only live once, go for it. Good luck. They're out there somewhere. ::nod::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::handshake::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dang me maties, already 4 months have past since last update :shock: .
Time fly's when yer busy... ::super_happy::

No new gear in T.L.'s arsenal to report on. But, major projects in the works boys... Stele is going to get some changing up/refining, and Beaver a bone nut and saddle.
But don't worry mates, the scene around Willy's studio is purty active. Been growing the record collection every week. ::woot::
My buddy Ken at Fuzztone is selling a pile of semi-used albums fro $2-3 a pop. Listing to "Redberry" by Jay Semko at this very moment, awesome album!
Attachments
DSCN4581.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

And of course, I wouldn't be a musician (addict) if I didn't pickup a whole stack of junk to drool over...

Yup, I'm digging this bad boy. I guess it's Fenders idea of mashing the tele and les paul; funkay!
I did funky, but my wallet doesn't...
::facepalm::

Oh well, wallet is outvoted 4-1.
1. $486.00
2. Humbuckers
3. Funky
4. Funky Fender.
::tounge::
Attachments
DSCN4582.JPG
DSCN4583.JPG
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willy, Aren't you due for the Mystery Knife? J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:33 pm Willy, Aren't you due for the Mystery Knife? J.O'.
Mystery knife?...
Did I forget all about it?!
::facepalm::

Thanks for letting me know mate, headed there this minute.
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well, I absolutely should've picked this up when I started guitar. Man did day make me frets shiny!
::super_happy::
Attachments
DSCN4584.JPG
DSCN4585.JPG
DSCN4592.JPG
DSCN4593.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Welp, here's a little experiment I decided to try out...
Heavy bottom, light top; me favorite new combo!
::woot::
Attachments
DSCN4596.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

New guitar day at TinLizzard studios.

And let's make things a little more interesting, shall we.

Name on the box should be a good starting point...
And no, get that little idea outta yer brains, it's not a custom shop. Pffff, too frilly for this rough 'n tumble dude :roll:. Me needs a workin' man's axe.
Attachments
DSCN4781.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Trem-arm should be a dead giveaway...

Attachments
DSCN4782.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

One step closer to meeting Rosie... :D
Attachments
DSCN4783.JPG
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”