R.I.P. Charley Pride

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

R.I.P. Charley Pride

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Saw that Charley Pride passed today at age 86, complications from COVID. A true gentleman with a great voice, and a string of hits. Several times Grammy award winner. He was a former professional baseball player and participated in the Texas Rangers Spring Training camp since early 1970s, eventually becoming a part of the team’s ownership group. Frequently sang the National Anthem and God Bless America at Rangers baseball games.

R.I.P. Charley.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: R.I.P. Charley Pride

Post by Colonel26 »

He was a class act and a tremendous singer. He broke a lot of barriers too and did it with grace and class. It's a loss for sure. The story of his and Faron Young's friendship was one of my favorite parts of Ken Burns's Country music documentary.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What a wonderful entertainer and all around great guy. RIP

"Pride pitched for several other minor league teams, his hopes of making it to the big leagues still alive, but was drafted into the United States Army in 1956. After basic training, he was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado, where he was a quartermaster and played on the Fort's baseball team."

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:( 1 of my most favorite Country singers. A great voice and a proud Veteran. RIP Charlie Pride! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Charley was a great, RIP. I went to see Charley play when I was a youngster in Dillon, MT in the 80's, the music was great, but I remember being surprised that he was a black man singing country music.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I recall the first time I saw Charlie Pride was at an Inaugural Gala. I was mighty impressed.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

My Dad was in the country music business and knew Charley and his wife. Charlie was my Dad's Mom's favorite singer of all time. There weren't too many things that impressed my grandmother, about my Dad's career...but; maybe the best Birthday present he ever orchestrated, was getting Charley to call her and sing a bit of "Kiss an Angle Good Morning" to her. She told that story every chance she got.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

RIP Charley,.. a true legend... and great story, Doc!👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

He said Hank Williams was his favorite and his influence. He could do some Hank! He's with the best band in the universe now, Sing on, Charlie. J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

He was also a big fan of Bill Monroe and other bluegrass music, which he grew up with. He was raised listening to the Grand Ole Opry which was a favorite of his dad. I saw an interview where he talked about that. During the interview when asked why he sang country music he replied “Because I’m a hillbilly!”

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 pm He was also a big fan of Bill Monroe and other bluegrass music, which he grew up with. He was raised listening to the Grand Ole Opry which was a favorite of his dad. I saw an interview where he talked about that. During the interview when asked why he sang country music he replied “Because I’m a hillbilly!”

Ken

Bill Monroe --"Mule Skinner blues" .. doesn't get much better than that...😁👍
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Stanwade wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:14 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 pm He was also a big fan of Bill Monroe and other bluegrass music, which he grew up with. He was raised listening to the Grand Ole Opry which was a favorite of his dad. I saw an interview where he talked about that. During the interview when asked why he sang country music he replied “Because I’m a hillbilly!”

Ken

Bill Monroe --"Mule Skinner blues" .. doesn't get much better than that...😁👍
Another Jimmie Rodgers penned classic! ::tu:: Wish I had a dollar for every artist who has recorded a Jimmie Rodgers song. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Right-- even Lynyrd (my favorite band) Skynyrd covered him😁! T-for Texas...
Ryan

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Now y’all are taking my kind of music! Bluegrass and Jimmie Rodgers!

I heard Merle Haggard say one time that if you don’t like Jimmie Rodgers you were suspect in his book. He’s right!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “The Music Forum”