1930's Martin

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

1930's Martin

Post by Ridgegrass »

Saw this 1930's Martin ("C-2" ??) acoustic archtop on consignment in a shop in Salisbury, MD. It is a peach! Brazilian Rosewood. Great shape. $3500. If I were just 2% crazier I'd buy it. Probably a good investment for someone a bit younger than I am. I'm flush with old guitars right now and I just traded off the 1960 Gibson, "L-50", below it to the same shop last year because I just don't play that style of music anymore. But I'll tell you, just holding that Martin gave me the bumps. Just for comparison, the 1930's D'Angelico, "A-1",(bottom) belonged to a friend of mine who died last year. His daughter is selling it and asking $12,000.
They're out there but they aren't cheap! J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_0248 (1).JPG
IMG_2056 (1).jpg
Steve Warden

Re: 1930's Martin

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet!
I've always loved the sunburst and tobacco burst finishes.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Steve: Nowadays they just air brush them on. The old ones were done by applying all the various finishes and then rubbing out the middle with a solvent rag. It was an art that is probably lost today. The difference between the two methods is striking. Look at that L-50 and see the many color changes from outside moving in. Cant do that with an air brush.Here's a 1932-33 L-OO with the small sunburst characteristic of only those years.
Only things I love even more than knives! :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2909.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

John, ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:53 pm Steve: Nowadays they just air brush them on. The old ones were done by applying all the various finishes and then rubbing out the middle with a solvent rag. It was an art that is probably lost today. The difference between the two methods is striking. Look at that L-50 and see the many color changes from outside moving in. Cant do that with an air brush.Here's a 1932-33 L-OO with the small sunburst characteristic of only those years.
Only things I love even more than knives! :D J.O'.
And no crack!
::oh_my::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willie, If you mean the '33. It has a few cracks but they are "cleated" inside with small, diamond-shaped, wooden patches to keep them from running. it's a common repair. Guitars, old and new, will crack due to humidity changes. It's just the nature of straight grained, thin wood. Best to keep a humidifier in your case, especially in winter when the heat is on. Not necessary in humid summertime. Old timers used to put an apple quarter in the case and changed it when it dried up. There are simpler ones in music stores now. I make my own out of an old medicine bottle, pierced with a hot fork and jam-packed with damp/wet paper towels. It'll stay damp for a couple weeks depending on the weather.
Keep on pickin', Pal. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2912.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm Willie, If you mean the '33. It has a few cracks but they are "cleated" inside with small, diamond-shaped, wooden patches to keep them from running. it's a common repair. Guitars, old and new, will crack due to humidity changes. It's just the nature of straight grained, thin wood. Best to keep a humidifier in your case, especially in winter when the heat is on. Not necessary in humid summertime. Old timers used to put an apple quarter in the case and changed it when it dried up. There are simpler ones in music stores now. I make my own out of an old medicine bottle, pierced with a hot fork and jam-packed with damp/wet paper towels. It'll stay damp for a couple weeks depending on the weather.
Keep on pickin', Pal. J.O'.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”