AN OLD GIRLFRIEND CAME BACK LAST NIGHT

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

AN OLD GIRLFRIEND CAME BACK LAST NIGHT

Post by Ridgegrass »

8) She was born in Kalamazoo in 1960. We split up a while back and she's been living with my son for a few years but he dropped her off to me last night. It was wonderful to hold her in my arms and run my fingers along her neck again. Her older sister, the blonde has been with me for a few years now. So now we're all under the same roof and should make some beautiful music together. 8)
(Click on the pic for proper orientation.)

Hope you pickers enjoy my girls. J.O.
Attachments
IMG_3317.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: AN OLD GIRLFRIEND CAME BACK LAST NIGHT

Post by 1967redrider »

Very nice, J.O'! I'm sure you three make beautiful music together. 🎶
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
srm65

Post by srm65 »

What year is the Kay?
Sidney Massingale
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Right up my alley mate. I bet they sound absolutely amazing, nothing like a ole dread to get the music a'flowing; aged like fine wine.
8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I know nothing about those instruments, but all three of them are mighty fine looking in that picture.
Is that called a bass fiddle in the back? What a piece of work that is. Wow.
Joe
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks all. Really glad to have her back. Beautiful voice and my son had his luthier set her up to play wonderfully.

The Kay is a '53, C-1, not the top of the line like the "M" but it sounds really sweet. Gets a good bit of playing from my jamming guys who are happy not to have to bring their own. They say the '37 Kay, M-1 is the "Holy Grail". J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

FRJ: yep, bass fiddle, "upright" bass, "doghouse" bass, "bull fiddle", as opposed to electric bass guitar. Only way to go in acoustic music. J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:53 pm FRJ: yep, bass fiddle, "upright" bass, "doghouse" bass, "bull fiddle", as opposed to electric bass guitar. Only way to go in acoustic music. J.O'.
That tis plumb cool right there John; I didn't know those were the names for it... What are the differences between it, and a classical upright? I presume a bunch of americana tweaking, just like the fiddle?...
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

No difference at all. They are actually not "Orchestra" size. Those are huge! "Band" basses are more of a 3/4 size. I've seen symphonies load in and those basses are packed in cases that look like they'd hold a car! J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willie, the difference between a "fiddle" and a violin is a common misconception. While there are different "styles" of violins made in French, Italian, German, etc. traditions, and different makers have their own signature workmanship, all violins are violins. The term "fiddle" is just another name for the instrument, no structural or functional difference. Big name concert violinists get to play the super expensive ones like Magini, Stradivarius, Amati, Guarneriius, etc. They have become so expensive that many belong to stewardship foundations who allow great players to perform with them but are not "owned" or sold. J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Huh! That tis most interesting John, I didn't know any of that...
Thank you for the bit of education mate!
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Any deliveries yet?
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup mate, pickedup a suh-weeet Walden acousto-electric dread, back in June.

She's an absolutely fantastic axe; shockingly balanced fingerstyle vs picking, and the electronics are excellent to boot. She's one of these new generation of acoustic's, construction is ultra-modern.
Gorgeous to look at, the the fit-n-finish is perfect.

You know from first hand experience, that many of the "45" style blowout when light fingerpicking/strumming. Not here.
It's kinda freaky how the sounds hold "true", no matter what yer playing. It doesn't have a super Martin vibes going on, but neither is it Taylorish. More like the Gibson middleground, it's own thing going on.
But if you play hard, she does power into lovely bassy goodness. But still balanced... :)
D550CE-product.png

https://waldenguitars.com/product/d550ce/
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sorry to derail your thread mate (not!). Here's some pics of my new girl, drool as much as you wish too... ::tu::
DSCN5259.JPG
DSCN5260.JPG
DSCN5261.JPG
DSCN5262.JPG
DSCN5263.JPG
DSCN5264.JPG
DSCN5265.JPG
DSCN5266.JPG
DSCN5268.JPG
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Sweet! She's a beauty. But,
i meant knife deliveries. :D :D J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you mate!
But wrong thread for iron... :D
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Music Forum”