FANTASTIC GUITAR GIFT

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

FANTASTIC GUITAR GIFT

Post by Ridgegrass »

All you guitar lovers, here's an amazing story. Friend of the family was just gifted this 1963 Gibson "Hummingbird" flat top by his uncle. The uncle bought it new and never really played it much. You can see from the lack of wear on the engraved pick guard that it's in great condition, no scratches either! My friend is fortunate to have one of the iconic guitars of American history. Sadly he doesn't play at all. Hopefully he, or one of his daughters will try. Guitars like the "Bird" need to be played and maintained. I'm happy for him but, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Hope you enjoy seeing it. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3355.jpg
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3357.jpg
srm65

Re: FANTASTIC GUITAR GIFT

Post by srm65 »

Great gift. Prices for used ones start around $3,200. As nice as this one is, maybe $5,000
Sidney Massingale
Samb

Post by Samb »

Won't make music without strings!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Son was cleaning and polishing, checking structure, etc. Strung up now. I haven't heard it yet but I had a '62 'Bird" I bought in '65 and it was a beautiful sounding axe. Hopefully, fifty eight years should have worked some magic on it. J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup mate, you and me both.
Son is very blessed, one cool uncle!
Being original owner, in the condition that she is, with the story; I can see her easily going for 5 grand.

Heck,
It's a '63 Hummingbird, in mint condition no less!

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willie, Check your PM's.. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

My '62 Hummingbird and me in November '68. Wish I still had it. Worth much more than money to me. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3359.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I can chord just enough to make a racket. But I appreciate good picking and fine instruments. That old humming bird is fantastic!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

You bet. Darn shame the new owner doesn't play and probably won't. Way too sweet to be a wall-hanger ! ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yeah mates; who wouldathunk back in the day, that one day these guitars would be worth a small fortune. Any vintage guitar for that matter, just take a look @ a '59 burst. I definitely don't have half a million hanging round, let alone ever touch an original; or heaven only knows, even play one... ::skeptic::
:(

:D
But like any beautiful instrument, it's not about the montary value to us players. It's about how it plays, sounds, feels; the story involved is a nice touch. I don't care how much, or how little my guitars cost; if it clicks with my hands and ears, it's worth a million to me. Heck! I'd gig the daylights out of a '59! Has that sound... ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willy: You're dead right on that. My EDC is an old Imperial scout knife I paid $2 for. It's valuable to me as a useful knife. Price and value are not the same thing. The price of many knives on e-bay demonstrate that every day.

Here's an old, c.1959, "'TruTone" guitar sold by WESTERN AUTO stores. (They were a SEARS-type store that sold a variety of household merchandise and auto supplies, an unlikely place to buy a Guitar! Mostly or all gone now.) It's a low-priced ($49.95 new), "budget" instrument made in Chicago. A friend of mine had this one in his music store and just couldn't sell it for $40 so he gave it to me 20 years ago. Truth is, it's a really great sounding, American made, fun and easy to play guitar. On the market I doubt anyone but a fool like me would pay $100 for it. I wish you could play it and hear it. You'd agree it has tons of "value" without a high "price". Money ain't everything. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3361.jpg
IMG_0241 (1).JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Exactly mate! Value & cost are not the same thing... ::nod::

Like for instance,
Epiphone has come out with a '59 reissue, for a little over a $1,000 (Canadian). From what I've been gathering, listening, reading; I actually prefer it to an original. ::uc::
I know, sounds like I have my wires crossed... :mrgreen: But hear me out first!
The epi has full traditional construction, thick maple cap, long neck tenon joint. It just defers in construction finish wise (poly vs nitro lacquer). But what really gets the blood a pumping; Grover tuners, bone nut, and actual Gibson USA burstbuckers (2 & 3). For right on 1 grand... :shock:
Talk about a deal!

And unlike Gibson, you can actually talk about quality control... :mrgreen:

But if you really care about the name on the headstock, and want something exactly like they were back in the day. Then for around 8,000, the Murphy Labs @ Gibson will make a dead on tribute. With literally no differences then the age, & price.
Finally G is getting there act together, after all these past years of disaster... ::ds::

Gorgeous knife and axe man! I absolutely would love to own and play that girl! She's aged beautifully, all these years later... ::drool::

Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Son strung it up today. He said she's perfect! Action is great, tension just right, intonation right on. Bright and punchy just like my '62. SEe if he'll make some short video for us. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Yesterday may son and I recorded some memorial songs for my daughter-in-law's aunt who passed away. We used the Gibson Hummingbird his friend was given. Turns out it's a 1968. That thing recorded fantastically!, clean and clear, huge bass and ringing treble. It was such a hoot to play it for Aunt Mary's memorial and I know they'll be pleased.
Willie, wish you could hear it !!! J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Just saw a 1963 Hummingbird on Reverb.com today for $16,866.26. It's for sale in England so the odd number of the price is probably an exchange from their currency to ours. Wish I still had my '62 ! J.O'.

Return to “The Music Forum”