Question for any harmonica players out there

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Dan In MI

Question for any harmonica players out there

Post by Dan In MI »

Late last year, I decided I'd take a poke at playing the harmonica. As often happens with me, I threw a little too much money at it. Now I have three harmonicas, and at least two of them need to go. But if I keep one, I'm undecided as to which will be kept.

All are German Hohners of recent manufacture: a Big River Harp, a Blues Harp, and a Special 20. My ears are neither trained or sophisticated enough to pick up the subtle differences in tone. I suppose any of the three would work well enough should I want to try again (I can't play worth a darn anyway).

So, my question is: of those three, which one would you keep and why?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question for any harmonica players out there

Post by 1967redrider »

Dan, my grandmother got me a Horner and a "Learn to Play" book when I was a kid. It turned up missing, I think my uncle made off with it, but I picked up a set of harmonicas being auctioned off in a lot several years ago with the intention of learning to play. Well, that still hasn't happened yet. Hopefully one of our musically gifted members will be able to help you out. I get my music from YouTube, you can find just about anything music related there.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m not a musician by any means but I know harmonicas are made in different keys and have different “tones” for use depending on what music is being produced. A friend who is an accomplished musician and harmonica aficionado has a customized guitar strap in which he keeps numerous different harmonicas. During a performance, between songs he occasionally switches to a different harmonica, and occasionally he switches between two different harmonicas during the same song.::shrug::

As I understand it that’s why a person might have more than one harmonica. I suppose if you’re interested only in learning to play around with it, having just one is perfectly adequate. One of our serious musicians here can probably explain better.

Ken
Attachments
Kevin Deal
Kevin Deal
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks for the replies, gents! That guitar strap is something else. All of my harmonicas are in the key of C, which may make it harder for me to pick up the subtle differences in their tonal qualities.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Red: Soak them harps in some Jack Daniels 'fore you put 'em to yur' lips. No tellin' wher' they been! Yup. :roll: J.O'.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

If they are all the same key it's a coin toss. There are differences in the sounds and some harps lose or perhaps never have the correct intonation. All things being equal I'd likey keep the blues harp because they tend to be a little easier for bending notes. I have Hohner and Lee Oskar harps in keys of A,C,D, E and G and that works for most of what I play but you can get way more involved than that.

Ridge has a good idea on the Jack but you really don't need the harmaonicas for that.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “The Music Forum”