From one end to the other!

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
MissouriGuerrilla

From one end to the other!

Post by MissouriGuerrilla »

I am pretty appreciative of all kinds of music. I've had people comment on how I can throw Van Halen into the CD player followed by Stringbean followed by RUSH followed by Johnny Cash. I like just about everything except opera, punk, alternative. For my age, 53, there's not a lot of people, in this day and age, that rock out to Van Halen and then want to listen to Jerry Clower for comedy.
I HATE the country of today. Not putting anyone down, if you like it, that's fine (like my wife), but I will take Stringbean, Cash, Loretta, Grandpa Jones, etc. every day of the week!

Here's something you might not know. True story. For some reason, it just never came to pass...but Eddie Van Halen, in later years, not the real young Eddie, had expressed a real interest in taking some guitar lessons and pointers from.............. Glen Campbell!

I 'bout had to change my drawers when I heard that! ::nod::
Ivoryman

Re: From one end to the other!

Post by Ivoryman »

Glen Campbell is a very underrated and to some unknown guitarist. So is Roy Clark of "Heehaw" fame. Buck Owens too. There are lots of Country pickers who were very good but unknown to the rock scene and those who make up lists of the top guitarists. Gone but not forgotten.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Samb

Post by Samb »

MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm I am pretty appreciative of all kinds of music. I've had people comment on how I can throw Van Halen into the CD player followed by Stringbean followed by RUSH followed by Johnny Cash. I like just about everything except opera, punk, alternative. For my age, 53, there's not a lot of people, in this day and age, that rock out to Van Halen and then want to listen to Jerry Clower for comedy.
I HATE the country of today. Not putting anyone down, if you like it, that's fine (like my wife), but I will take Stringbean, Cash, Loretta, Grandpa Jones, etc. every day of the week!

Here's something you might not know. True story. For some reason, it just never came to pass...but Eddie Van Halen, in later years, not the real young Eddie, had expressed a real interest in taking some guitar lessons and pointers from.............. Glen Campbell!

Glen Campbell can really play the guitar, some claim he is one of the best!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Samb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:17 pm
MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm I am pretty appreciative of all kinds of music. I've had people comment on how I can throw Van Halen into the CD player followed by Stringbean followed by RUSH followed by Johnny Cash. I like just about everything except opera, punk, alternative. For my age, 53, there's not a lot of people, in this day and age, that rock out to Van Halen and then want to listen to Jerry Clower for comedy.

Glen Campbell can really play the guitar, some claim he is one of the best!
As a half-a** player myself, we guitarists regard Glenn as The Goat. He was an incredible player, and person. Thou passed on now to the great stage in heaven (became saved later on in life), He is not forgotten. With all that training down here, I bet ya my bottom dollar, He's helping lead the orchestra, with all the greats.
Can't wait till that day when I shake his hand, and we all have a little jam.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Iman, I agree entirely with your assessment of Glen Campbell and Roy Clark. Both amazing musicians. So too Chet Atkins whom I revere. He is available on YouTube for anyone who does not know him.
Samb

Post by Samb »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 pm Tony Rice and Norman Blake are my guitar heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFgC3Ub10E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkVkJax2Co
T he late Dimebag Darrel Abbot is my favorite picker.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I was blown away when Mark Knophler said his idea of paradise was sitting on a porch picking with Chet Atkins.

I would have love to have been there for that!

The great guitarist all respect each other. They all could learn from each other. I wish all of humanity could be the same.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Willie's strange way of playing has a strange appeal to me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I am a Mark Knopfler fan, and was a Roy Clark fan before Hee Haw existed. But, if anyone wants to hear a master, look up a Django Reinhardt video/recording. He died in the 50s but his work with Stephan Grapelli is timeless.
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I always thought Roy Clark was most excellent.

But wait, there's more!-

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

It's like comparing diamonds to sapphires to rubies and emeralds. Those guys are all number ones in their own right. Put Tommy Emanuel and Danny Gatton in there too.

There's a really good book called "THE WRECKING CREW" about Glen Campbell and the other studio musicians in California who did the actual music on thousands of the 60's/70's hits from a ton of very popular bands. It is claimed they were the real band on 140 number one singles from famous bands who were not allowed to play on their own records by label executives. What we hear on those monster hits is really Campbell and the Wrecking Crew. It's a great read. Check them out on Wikipedia.
J.O'.

Return to “The Music Forum”