SKA and Punk

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

SKA and Punk

Post by 1967redrider »

Probably a dumb question . . . but who's into SKA and Punk? I'm currently listening to this YouTube compilation, #6 in a series.

I also like the Punk-O-Rama series and Hell Cats's Give 'em the Boot series, also available on YouTube. I was in marching band in highschool, SKA bands use a lot of brass instruments, I guess that's what catches my musical interest. 👨‍🎤🎶
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SKA and Punk

Post by 1967redrider »

I saw these guys at Anthem in DC last month, Irish Folk/Punk with a Pirate flare. ☠️

Thick, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and Violent Femmes opened for Flogging Molly, it was a cool show and nice to be at a concert again.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'm sure a couple of you have heard this song, it was in The Departed which I thought was a really good movie.

Dropkick Murphys-

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

My favorite, you can't go wrong with banjo-

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I don't know if this qualifies but here it is: The English Beat. Later changed to "The Beat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bM0wVjU2-k

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 am Probably a dumb question . . . but who's into SKA and Punk? I'm currently listening to this YouTube compilation, #6 in a series.

I also like the Punk-O-Rama series and Hell Cats's Give 'em the Boot series, also available on YouTube. I was in marching band in highschool, SKA bands use a lot of brass instruments, I guess that's what catches my musical interest. 👨‍🎤🎶
Haven’t paid much attention to SKA but Punk isn’t far from some I like. Try Reverend Horton Heat, Hank 3 (Hank Williams III) and Wayne Hancock. They all venture into punk, country punk, and rockabilly. Hard to say what’s different between them, at least to me.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 am . . . Try Reverend Horton Heat, Hank 3 (Hank Williams III) and Wayne Hancock. They all venture into punk, country punk, and rockabilly. Hard to say what’s different between them, at least to me.

Ken, I saw him once at a little concert venue in Arlington, VA. He's very entertaining. It's Martini Time! 🍸

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:02 am I don't know if this qualifies but here it is: The English Beat. Later changed to "The Beat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bM0wVjU2-k

John

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Y'all go on ahead without me. I'll just stay here stuck in the mud.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:09 pm Y'all go on ahead without me. I'll just stay here stuck in the mud.

GIve that compilation a try, Jerry. The up side is the songs are usually 2 minutes long or less, so if you don't like one just give it a minute. 😉 I can pull up YouTube on my tv, which definitely improves the sound, much to my neighbor's chagrin. 👨‍🎤

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, I sampled all that were posted. My apologies. I should have kept my opinion to myself.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm John, I sampled all that were posted. My apologies. I should have kept my opinion to myself.

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm John, I sampled all that were posted. My apologies. I should have kept my opinion to myself.
Jerry, does this kinda sum it up for you? (warning, PG-13 lyrics) ::sotb::

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:24 pm
Jerry, does this kinda sum it up for you? (warning, PG-13 lyrics) ::sotb::

Ken

That'll do it. Ooh Rah MoFo.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

I can appreciate both, as I listened to both growing up.
My very first CD I ever purchased was the BLACK FLAG, DAMAGED album. Not much heavier than that album as far as punk rock goes IMO.

For SKA I liked Operation Ivy.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:42 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 am . . . Try Reverend Horton Heat, Hank 3 (Hank Williams III) and Wayne Hancock. They all venture into punk, country punk, and rockabilly. Hard to say what’s different between them, at least to me.

Ken, I saw him once at a little concert venue in Arlington, VA. He's very entertaining. It's Martini Time! 🍸
I saw the reverend Horton heat in Houston back in ‘94.
I usually don’t like it when band would banter with the crowd in between songs, but he was very entertaining.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:25 pm I can appreciate both, as I listened to both growing up.
My very first CD I ever purchased was the BLACK FLAG, DAMAGED album. Not much heavier than that album as far as punk rock goes IMO.

I'm a big Op Ivy/Rancid fan.😎👍

Crane Fist

BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:12 pm
BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:25 pm I can appreciate both, as I listened to both growing up.

I'm a big Op Ivy/Rancid fan.😎👍

Crane Fist

Too bad they only had that one album.

Also, for punk, Bad Brains! I think their best album was the Omega Sessions.
St. John Chapter 1
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm

I saw them open for someone once, within the last several years (I think). In Dave Grohl's Lost Highways documentary he talks with the front man I think, in his DC visit. It was an HBO series.

BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:08 pm
BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm

I saw them open for someone once, within the last several years (I think). In Dave Grohl's Lost Highways documentary he talks with the front man I think, in his DC visit. It was an HBO series.
Yeah HR, that guy is out there
St. John Chapter 1
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I like Tim Armstrong, lots of talent, but Lars knows how to thrash!-

(Jerry's gonna love this one 🤭)

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This one's for Ken-

🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸 🍸

BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Agent Orange is good if you like your punk rock with a twist of surf music. Check out their song “Bloodstains”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1RecSXXZ8
St. John Chapter 1
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:12 am I saw these guys at Anthem in DC last month, Irish Folk/Punk with a Pirate flare. ☠️

Thick, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and Violent Femmes opened for Flogging Molly, it was a cool show and nice to be at a concert again.
Well....I never thought that Iris Folk music would ever meet Punk.
Sandy Denny (RIP) of "Pentangle" must be turning over in her grave. ::facepalm::

I'm undecided and trying to digest. ::shrug::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I had never heard of SKA until the mid 90's when the kids in church were listening to the O.C. Supertones, a Christian SKA band.
Not my cup o' tea.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “The Music Forum”