SKA and Punk

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
BFORSE

Re: SKA and Punk

Post by BFORSE »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:51 pm I had never heard of SKA until the mid 90's when the kids in church were listening to the O.C. Supertones, a Christian SKA band.
Not my cup o' tea.
How’s about MxPx
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm Agent Orange is good if you like your punk rock with a twist of surf music. Check out their song “Bloodstains”

That's a good one. 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm
BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm Agent Orange is good if you like your punk rock with a twist of surf music. Check out their song “Bloodstains”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1RecSXXZ8
That's a good one. 😎👍
Their album “Living in Darkness” is really good, even has some surf music staples like “pipeline”

What’s your favorite group? Or do you like a lot of different bands?
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 am Probably a dumb question . . . but who's into SKA and Punk? I'm currently listening to this YouTube compilation, #6 in a series.
I've been into SKA (aka 2 Tone) and Punk ever since the mid 1970s when my friend from England introduced me to the genres. We eventually formed a punk band that covered mostly British Punk Rock (The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc.). We were more into making a socio-political statement (much like a lot of teens in the late 1970s and early 1980s) and most of the then-nascent LA punk scene seemed like too much mayhem, anarchy and mindless violence with no real "message" behind the music.

I was fascinated by the Mods vs. Rockers riots of the 1960s in the UK, as well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOI1QHwlu8but), also somewhat conflicted because I liked the music (and the unique sartorial fashions and hairstyles) that came from both sides (especially the Mod's trademark vintage scooters with all the lights & mirrors).

Best punk band = The Clash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GfTXuagY0

Best Mod band = The Jam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHad_cTqR6A

Best SKA band = The Specials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntvEDbagAw

I was also a big fan of Madness, which was generally considered a SKA band at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M02572lQTJg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

And who could forget the Specials?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

QTCut5, I was in a punk band too! But we didn’t do any covers. It was more hardcore, similar to the west coast sounds of the early ‘80s. Anti-authoritarian and obnoxious, what can I say, we were 15.
St. John Chapter 1
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:10 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:51 pm I had never heard of SKA until the mid 90's when the kids in church were listening to the O.C. Supertones, a Christian SKA band.
Not my cup o' tea.
How’s about MxPx
Come to think of it, I do believe my son had one of their T-Shirts.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1RecSXXZ8
That's a good one. 😎👍
Their album “Living in Darkness” is really good, even has some surf music staples like “pipeline”

My favorite is Flogging Molly, but I also like Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Agnostic Front, Pennywise, Millencolin, Bad Region, Ministry, Tiger Army and NoFX (songs but I can't stand Fat Mike). For SKA I'd go with Hepcat, Scotch Bonnets, old No Doubt and Reel Big Fish.

What's yours?

BTW- Junior Brown does some surfer tunes-

I used to see him at Birchmere in Arlandria.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"Doug and the Slugs" was most likely the closest I have ever come to "Punk Rock." Their song "Making it Work" 1983 was my favorite.
Doug and the Slugs was one of the most distinctive and entertaining Canadian bands of the last 40 years. Their upbeat musical style, musicianship and offbeat stage antics have made them a staple of the Canadian music scene for decades. Formed in Vancouver in the fall of 1977.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Definitely The Clash and Joe Strummer, classic!

BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:09 pm
BFORSE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm

That's a good one. 😎👍

My favorite is Flogging Molly, but I also like Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Agnostic Front, Pennywise, Millencolin, Bad Region, Ministry, Tiger Army and NoFX (songs but I can't stand Fat Mike). For SKA I'd go with Hepcat, Scotch Bonnets, old No Doubt and Reel Big Fish.

What's yours?

BTW- Junior Brown does some surfer tunes-

I used to see him at Birchmere in Arlandria.
Black Flag is probably my number 1 for punk rock. But I went to the Van’s Warped tour 1998 at the Houston Astrodome just to see Hepcat. It was awesome.
St. John Chapter 1
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BFORSE wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:54 am

Black Flag is probably my number 1 for punk rock. But I went to the Van’s Warped tour 1998 at the Houston Astrodome just to see Hepcat. It was awesome.

If I ever see that Hepcat is in town I'm definitely going to see them. I've been to the Warp Tour outside of Gainesville, VA a few times, always a fun time.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 pm "Doug and the Slugs" was most likely the closest I have ever come to "Punk Rock." Their song "Making it Work" 1983 was my favorite.
Doug and the Slugs was one of the most distinctive and entertaining Canadian bands of the last 40 years. Their upbeat musical style, musicianship and offbeat stage antics have made them a staple of the Canadian music scene for decades. Formed in Vancouver in the fall of 1977.

Dan

Check out that first post, Dan. You might find something you like.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:03 am
Old Folder wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 pm "Doug and the Slugs" was most likely the closest I have ever come to "Punk Rock." Their song "Making it Work" 1983 was my favorite.

Dan

Check out that first post, Dan. You might find something you like.
I do like the brass. ::groove::
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

A little more on the mellow side, but I would classify Sublime as SKA/Punk with a Reggae twist-

RIP, Bradley.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Not my cup o' tea.
Same here brother.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dan
Same here Dan!

One of my favorite groups, spanning all genres. They wrote one of my all-time favorite hits, "Day by Day"
The instrumentation on it is fantastic! Super catchy opening...

Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I do like me some Clash, Billy Idol, David Bowie. Smashing Pumpkins/The Verve are more alternative, but they have that edginess that I associate more with punk.
And of course, Nirvana & Foo Fighters are the staples in the music world.
Winston Churchill

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

The Clash and Sublime are the extent of my Punk and Ska experience. I like both of them. I still remember he first time I saw The Clash on television (I believe it was on Saturday Night Live).
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice, Willy! ::tu::

Jeff, I would say The Clash brought Punk into the limelight. ::nod::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 am

Dan
Same here Dan!

One of my favorite groups, spanning all genres. They wrote one of my all-time favorite hits, "Day by Day"
The instrumentation on it is fantastic! Super catchy opening...

Thanks for sharing "Day by Day" Willy ::tu::
Great old video also.

Dan
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Policeman, off of the first Give 'Em the Boot compilation-

Jerry will be whistling this one on his way to the mailbox tomorrow morning. 🤭

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, a Punk cover band. They opened with this at Anthem in DC last month, bet you ever thought you would hear this one. ::super_happy::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Scotch Bonnets cover Rancid-

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This week's homework-

Return to “The Music Forum”