TWO GREATS GONE

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

TWO GREATS GONE

Post by Ridgegrass »

For you five string players I'm sad to report the loss of Tommy Neal and Fred Geiger. Two bright stars in the mid=Atlantic area.

Fred died in a fire at his home in Wolfsburg, MD. He was a darn good 5-string picker and a great side man. He is probably best known for his instrumental version of "Lady Of Spain". It was pretty innovative stuff back in the 70's. Fred was 82.

Tommy Neal died from heart complications. I think he was 73. The great Walter Hensley said Tommy was an "unsung hero of the five string". Players like Tommy don't get the recognition the "Road" guys do because they play mostly locally and regionally, having day-jobs and families. Tommy was with the Pennsylvania band "BLUESTONE" forever and gigged around with other bands when needed. A heavy equipment operator for many years, Tommy had serious hearing issues but it didn't affect his dead-on intonation. He was as solid as a rock and a compliment to any band he was with. A darn good mandolin and guitar player too!

It was my privilege to know and share the stage with both of these men.
There's a nice article on Tommy on the BLUEGRASS TODAY site.
R.I.P. Boys.

Lord! What a rough year in the music world! ::facepalm::

J.O'.
charlesf20

Re: TWO GREATS GONE

Post by charlesf20 »

My Condolences.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Charles. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

There's a good interview with Tommy Neal and Tom Adams in Banjo Newsletteron the occasion of Tommy's first album release. Google Tom Neal, banjo and find it. J.O'

Return to “The Music Forum”