Leslie Jordan

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
just bob

Leslie Jordan

Post by just bob »

Those of you who know who Leslie Jordan is probably know him from Will & Grace or his various other acting roles. The man was a comedic genius Before his death he had made a country album named Company’s Comin’ with some rather famous country artists and was invited on the Grand Ol’ Opry. I don’t follow much mainstream TV and didn’t know much about the man, but I was so moved by his performance that I did a little digging on him.
Leslie Jordan was a 4” 11”,67-year-old, gay male that was brought up in the south and in the church. He said the church could never accept him for who he was, so he left the church in order to make peace with God. That journey took him to Hollywood where he was ensnared by the trappings of fame and left him to battle the demons most commonly sold by the bottle full and was also held hostage by addiction. Though famous, he was never complete. Thankfully he found sobriety and peace with God before his death. The Company’s Comin’ album is full of the favorite hymns of his childhood. He sang In The Sweet By and By on the opry stage along with T J Osborne. His singing voice is very ordinary and not noteworthy, but his message is so overpowering. In his musical testimony you feel the power of God. A God that can heal and restore even the most broken among us. Leslie had a heart full of love and forgiveness for all, but especially for those who had made his earthly journey so arduous. Near the end of his song, he looked upward and said I’ll be seeing you soon, daddy or something very close to that. He didn’t know how prophetic that statement was because only a few months later he was taken from us. If you have a few minutes, you can see some of his music on YouTube or you might even be able to find a rebroadcast of the opry performance. Once you know his story his music becomes sincere.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Return to “The Music Forum”