George and Tammy series

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

George and Tammy series

Post by Ridgegrass »

Anyone watching this docudrama? Only seen one episode so far. Decent effort. If the actors are actually singing, which it appears they are, that's pretty gutsy. Two voices like George and Tammy's were so distinctive. I'm glad they're not trying to imitate them. What a pair they were! J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: George and Tammy series

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I watched it. IMHO it’s a good vehicle for introducing the music of two all-time greats to a new generation.

Have been a longtime fan of both artists. I’m not sure how much Hollywood dramatization “license” the show has used. They were only married for a few tumultuous years, during which both were fighting addiction demons. Tammy’s story alone is a wild and tormented life of the “you can’t make this stuff up” sort. I think the actors did a great job mimicking the voices, especially Tammy’s. IMHO George’s voice is inimitable, so that’s an impossible task, but the actor did a pretty good job.

I was fortunate to see both perform in person, but not together. Saw George in the late 60s at the late great Reo Palm Isle Ballroom in Longview, TX. That was during his “no show Jones” days. He showed up that night though, but not too sure how sober he was. :lol: Saw Tammy perform in a Houston club in the mid-90s. She did a good show but she didn’t look very good. She died a couple of years later, at a relatively young age which surprised me because she looked much older when we saw her.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

We saw him 3 times and he showed up all three! Though he was a bit late and pretty well gone for one. Merle Kilgore kept the band going until he posted. A later show with Tammy was kinda rough. She wasn't hitting the high stuff, the backup girls covered her. Their "White Album" is a classic, absolute perfection in performance and production.
Somebody said when George was on the jukebox you could smell whiskey coming out of the speakers. That's funny on the surface but tragic underneath. They were the greatest.
I think if Mel Street would have lived he would have been another mega-star.(Borrowed Angel and Smokey Mountain Memories had that 'George' feel, without any imitation.)

I read that Georgette Jones was advisor to the series so it's at least accurate.
J.O'.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I'll have to catch this series on free week, because I don't get Showtime. I heard them talking about this George Jones story on the radio today. I wonder if this is included in the TV series.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/geor ... lawnmower/

Funny, but sad in so many ways. They said it was so common for George to be pulled over for DUI in the early days that the police just took him home and called his agent to come and get the car. Later on, when they really started cracking down on DUI, he was issued citations.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

We watched the first two episodes that were free on Paramount. Considering getting a $5 per month Paramount+/Showtime streaming membership to continue.

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mel Street - Borrowed Angle -- Plays first.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

Micheal Shannon is from Lexington ,Ky. His star is rising. We first liked him in Boardwalk Empire as an Prohibition agent on HBO.which had a vague AAPK connection. Several of the tools aka weapons and such came from one of our members.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wlf wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:19 am Micheal Shannon is from Lexington ,Ky. His star is rising. We first liked him in Boardwalk Empire as an FBI agent on HBO.which had a vague AAPK connection. Several of the tools aka weapons and such came from one of our members.

Pro-he Agent Nelson Van Alden was one of my favorite characters, but Richard Harrow was my favorite hands down. I think Michael Shannon is an awesome actor, can't forget his facial expressions when mafiosos or Feds would corner him. Stephen Graham who played Alphonse Capone is a great actor too, I loved that Boardwalk Empire series.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “The Music Forum”