Ian Tyson

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ian Tyson

Post by Ridgegrass »

Canadian Folkster and writer Ian Tyson passed Dec.29th at age 89. He was a great writer and performer and half of the duo, "Ian and Sylvia" (Fricker) in the 60's. He wrote "Summer Wages","Four Strong Winds" and "Someday Soon" and had a TV show in Canada for maybe 5 years. He started out as a rodeo cowboy and turned to full time music after and injury.
As a kid learning to play I considered him one of my heroes and influences. The great Tony Rice did beautiful recordings of"Summer Wages" and " Four Strong Winds". Rest In Peace Ian, Thanks for the music.

J.O'.
Gunsil

Re: Ian Tyson

Post by Gunsil »

I had read that in the news, he certainly had a good long run!! I used to have an Ian and Sylvia record, great harmonies. Neil Young also did a great version of "Four Strong Winds", and since I read this post last night I haven't been able to get that haunting melody out of my head. I think one of the best Canadian singer/songwriters was Stan Rogers who sadly died very young in 1983. I was raised on folk music, still one of my favorite genres.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve been Ian Tyson fan for longer than I can recall, and an even bigger fan of Tom Russell who is one of Ian Tyson’s disciples. Two folk poets extraordinaire. A few years ago Tom recorded an Ian and Sylvia tribute album, dedicated to their songs.

R.I.P.

Ken
Attachments
Ian & Sylvia, painting by Tom Russell
Ian & Sylvia, painting by Tom Russell
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Stan Rogers was a great one. His recording of "Christmas In The Trenches" is so well done. He certainly died way too young. J.O'.
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

Cowboyography and Old Corrals & Sagebrush were two of my favorites by Ian.Check them out.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Willie, I've been singing that song and performing it in bands for 60 years. Its "evergreen" as they say.. John
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesir John, it is one of the good ones, to say the least.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “The Music Forum”