Barehead jack

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
bladebuddy

Barehead jack

Post by bladebuddy »

I was lucky this past weekend to find this Catt knife in an antique store. This one is my new favorite. Blades are full with plenty of snap.
Indian trail bone handles with peened pins.

I couldn’t find a tang stamp chart for Catts to find the age of the arched tang stamp. Maybe one of the wisemen (Roger, Gene or Mike) will have some info. Steve B.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
ea42

Re: Barehead jack

Post by ea42 »

Steve that's a real beauty, what a lucky find!!

It's really difficult to date Catts by the stamp as they basically used the same styles throughout most of their existence.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

To add to Eric’s reply, Catt ceased pocket knife manufacturing during WWII to ficus on manufacturing knives for the military. (Post-war they made kitchen cutlery, until the bankruptcy in 1963). During that time they used the same stamp.

Your knife has beautiful “Indian Trail” worm-groove bone. Rogers Company furnished those bone covers starting around the turn of the 20th century but they ceased that operation in 1962 so that’s no help either.
About the best guesstimate is your knife was made between 1900 or thereabouts, and 1940 or thereabouts.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Thank you Ken and Eric for the info. There are more wisemen on AAPK than you think 🤔.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Beautiful old Cat Steve! ::tu::
steve99f
Knivolf

Post by Knivolf »

That's a great looking old Catt. Love the worm-groove.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

bladebuddy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 pm I was lucky this past weekend to find this Catt knife in an antique store. This one is my new favorite. Blades are full with plenty of snap.
Indian trail bone handles with peened pins.

I couldn’t find a tang stamp chart for Catts to find the age of the arched tang stamp. Maybe one of the wisemen (Roger, Gene or Mike) will have some info. Steve B.
Can see why it's your new fave. Beautiful knife, I love a good bare head, especially with those kind of bones, and a nice spear. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”