Cattaraugus Whitt-L-Kraft Variation?

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Dadumpsterdiver

Cattaraugus Whitt-L-Kraft Variation?

Post by Dadumpsterdiver »

Good evening-

I saw this knife on fleabay, looked like it was just a Catt Whitt-L-Kraft missing the BSA shield. I like the small scouts so I grabbed it up. Looking it over, I can't see that it had ever even had a shield. Does this knife exist in any catalogs? I show it compared with my Whitt-L-Kraft with a sheild, which has brass liners, thumb stud and liner lock. The knife I received today's no brass whatsoever. Any thoughts?
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
richard

Re: Cattaraugus Whitt-L-Kraft Variation?

Post by richard »

I would say brass liners pre WW2.
steel liners post WW2.
both nice knive's.
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Dadumpsterdiver,
You have to scratch your head on that one. Both are good looking knives and there is no doubt your new one is a Cattaraugus Whitt-L-Kraft. Kerr's 600 scout knives lists 4 blade, D2589 no bail, D2589B with bail, All dated 1932 to 1942. I have 4 or 5 D2589B models and they all have brass. There are several members here way more knowable about Cattaraugus and Scout knives in general. Hopefully they may have some idea whats with that knife. ::hmm:: ::hmm::
David
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Lots of variations out their and yours is just that and most likely not an official boy scout .
Having steel instead of brass definitely puts it in the 1940s IMO .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Dadumpsterdiver

Agreed. Has to be wartime or just post wartime production, with all the brass going to munitions and other wartime items. I was more surprised with there being no scout shield. I'm relatively new to the hobby and have not seen that until now.

Bill
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dadumpsterdiver wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:11 pm Agreed. Has to be wartime or just post wartime production, with all the brass going to munitions and other wartime items. I was more surprised with there being no scout shield. I'm relatively new to the hobby and have not seen that until now.

Bill
Most manufacturers were not able to obtain coveted BSA authorization, but there was a huge market for the “scout” or utility pattern. So they offered them for sale without the “official” BSA shields and etching. And those companies like Cattaraugus, Remington and others who did have BSA authorization frequently sold the same “Official BSA” patterns without BSA markings. Hence versions without a shield. Plus there are many brands made sans shields during the war - nickel silver contains copper, nickel and zinc, all needed for military purposes.

In the early years of the BSA there were efforts made by BSA to prevent unauthorized use of the words “scout”and “scouting”, but eventually they gave up (I suspect as usual the lawyers for both sides were getting rich ::barf:: ).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I don't think Cattaraugus made many if any pocket knives during the war,and none after the war.It could be an earlier knife since it has steel liners and bolsters.
Roger
Dadumpsterdiver

Everyone-

Wow, great knowledge, experience and perspective being shared here. I have collected old tools for years and very similar changes occurred during wartime. The official scout knife shown is obviously treated more like a jewel, with the brass and high polish. Still trying to figure out if this was the victim of what I call "The polishers" or if it has survived all this time in it's current condition. The nice, crisp tang stamp makes me think of it being a great survivor. However, I gravitate toward the all steel knife because it is something that I wouldn't feel bad carrying. I can believe that it is an earlier knife, but I wonder if they could be contemporaries of each other, one being a higher "Quality" line. Also, I see no pattern number on the main blade, and the Official scout knife has one.

Bill
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

peanut740 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:37 pm I don't think Cattaraugus made many if any pocket knives during the war,and none after the war.It could be an earlier knife since it has steel liners and bolsters.
Are you saying Cattaraugus only made fixed blades from after the war until closing in 1963?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Yes,mostly kitchen cutlery.
Roger
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

peanut740 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:30 am Yes,mostly kitchen cutlery.
Thanks Roger. I did not know that.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”