Did Anyone see this Cattaraugus Catalog on eBay?

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Did Anyone see this Cattaraugus Catalog on eBay?

Post by orvet »

I saw this catalog in an auction on eBay. I bid about $50 on it and thought it might go for twice that so I came back to check it shortly before the auction ended it was around the $130 mark then and they knew it was going to go for more than I wanted to pay. So when I came back a little while later I was floored to see what it actually sold for $443 was the winning bid and it beat out the $438 bid that was put in at the same time. Obviously both bidders were using sniping software.
1934 Cattaraugus catalog sold on eBay.jpg
I really hope that someone on AAPK was able to get that catalog. I did copy the pictures that the seller posted with the auction. There are some interesting pictures there so I'm adding them to this post. I hope you enjoy them.

If you want to reference the eBay ad before it is taken down, it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Heavily-I ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Did Anyone see this Cattaraugus Catalog on eBay?

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for posting this, Dale. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

orvet wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:08 pm I.....
I didn't see that particular catalog, but I just bought this one for best offer.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Wow! $300 between the third to last and second to last bids. Somebody's sorry he/she sniped that one. Or maybe not, could be Bill Gates ::shrug::

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dale, I did not see the eBay auction but when I saw the picture you posted, I said to myself “Hey, I have one of those somewhere.” Which sent me to my office where I started digging. Sure enough, I found one just like it. There is good news and bad news. The bad news is it’s a 1971 reprint. ::facepalm::

The good news is two-fold. First, the reprint includes two Cattaraugus catalogs, one from 1922 and the other from 1930. Second, tucked inside the cover I found a letter from Dewey Ferguson (yes people used to send each other letters :lol: ), who sent me the catalog reprint, along with a copy of his September 21, 1971 list of knives for sale. Sections include Case XX (All knives in “ment” condition), Case XX U.S.A. no dots, Case Tested XX, and Knives in general. And from Mrs. Ferguson something for the “Lady” of the house: pattern cutting tailor’s shears. The prices on this list will astound you. :lol:

Glad your post spurred me to uncover the old memories. ::tu:: Next time I get my scanner hooked up I’ll scan a copy and post it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wow! I'm rich ! I bought this signed copy twenty years ago for a couple bucks. I remember the flea market guy said he'd let it go because it had some coffee stains. I use it a lot along with the Ritchie/Stewart reprint. Can't believe the prices folks are paying! Guess it's a good thing ? Hope my heirs do some research before they blow out all my hard-sought stuff for pennies on the dollar. :shock: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm pretty sure the catalog in that auction was an original and not the reprint.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ea42 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:34 pm I'm pretty sure the catalog in that auction was an original and not the reprint.

Eric
Correct. Mine is a reproduction too. Same one J.O. has.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”