A Very Odd Catt.

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
ea42

A Very Odd Catt.

Post by ea42 »

Has anyone here ever seen anything like this Catt.? Not my knife or pics so I can't really answer any questions about it. I was asked by the owner if I'd ever seen one before, which is a big no. Not even sure if it's all original but it looks like it from what I can make out, although I'm completely stumped by that pattern and Scagel-like blade hole. Definitely looks pretty worn down blade-wise.
Cattaraugus Odd One 2.jpg
Cattaraugus Odd One.jpg
Eric
Gunsil

Re: A Very Odd Catt.

Post by Gunsil »

Colloquially called a "dogbone" Catt, the handle/ frame are original Catt. The blade is a who knows who made it and installed it in the handle, not original by more than a mile. Fairly rare pattern but correct other than the preposterous blade.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Gene, I had a feeling that was the case. I have almost zero knowledge in the Cattaraugus department but I've only ever seen a long clip in a frame like that. I'm wondering if that blade might have been made in someone's garage, never seen anything like it.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: That's not one of those A.G. Russell Japanese made Catts, is it? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Gene pretty much nailed it. ::tu:: Looks like it probably has a CCC shield.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”