BALES ON CATTS?

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Ridgegrass

BALES ON CATTS?

Post by Ridgegrass »

I have a friend with this "65" pattern that appears to have had a bale, now missing. He asked me if I thought it was original or altered. My opinion from a close look is that it may have been made with a bale. The wear on the bolster is consistent with a bale ring rubbing. I own two of these "65's", neither has ever had a bale. My question is, did Catt make make some knives of the same patterns with bales and some without ? The old catalog reprints have tang stamp explanations that include a "B" for bale but this small knife barely has room for the 22659 and no "B".
I've seen Catts, one with a shield, another without a shield in the same pattern. So, could Catt have added bales at different times? Thanks for any info or thoughts. J.O'.

Pics: Top 2 = my friend's knife
Bottom = one of my "65's" obviouly never had a bale.
Attachments
IMG_6102.jpeg
IMG_6103.jpeg
IMG_2652.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: BALES ON CATTS?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I can’t definitively answer your question, “yes” or “no”. All I can say with certainty is that at one time Case would add a bale to any pattern for a nominal fee when ordered, and stated so in price lists. I see no reason Cattaraugus could not have done the same. It’s also possible someone could have wanted a bale and added one.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Since it's a smaller knife, maybe someone used it like a watch fob? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Gents. Interesting stuff. J.O'.

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”