Cat Rescue

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Maddogfl

Cat Rescue

Post by Maddogfl »

I am a big fan of the Cattaraugus 225 Q. As far as I am concerned it has everything a utility knife needs and nothing it doesn't. I like the heft, the blade style, the steel and I am a fan of leather grips and sheaths. I was plundering through eBay last week and found this poor neglected knife at what is, for today, a good value. ($70.00) The seller described it as "well used" and I gave him a 5 on description feedback. If he had called it "abused" I would have given him a 6.

I am sure that this knife was a war veteran because the spine and pommel were apparently used to bludgeon a Panzer Mk IV into submission. The knife had been poorly sharpened on a very rough stone for decades and has all of the scratches to prove it. The edge was round and chipped. The leather on the handle and on the sheath was as dry as a popcorn fart. Other than that, the knife was in "like new" condition! ;)

I normally do not alter war artifacts, but I have decided to use this as my woods knife so I began an "altering" process. I would call it restorative, but that would offend a purist. The leather was treated with Pecard's Antique leather dressing (A product that I buy in the quart size can) It has returned some pliability and extended the life of the leather while adding a little water protection. I spent some hours with mild abrasives polishing out the really ugly scratches and filed off the metal that had mushroomed on the spine from the abuse of the Panzer. I finished it by applying a 30 degree blade bevel and sharpening and polishing the edge. It is now sharp enough to chop wood, open a K ration or cut a Nazi's nasty throat. The knife will never be a thing of beauty that brings ooohs and ahhhs from museum goers or collectors, but it will serve me well for the rest of my life and will travel into the future a little more dignity and functionality.
Attachments
DSCN26~2.JPG
DSCN26~3.JPG
DSCN26~1.JPG
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cat Rescue

Post by Jeffinn »

Nice rework!
It certainly looks like a very useable knife now.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I wholeheartedly approve. Thanks for the show! ::tu:: One might have called that a 'Catt O' Nine Tales.'
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Looks good . Hard to picture it’s pitiful before state . ::tu::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

For some reason when I first read your post title I was thinking more along these lines:
B88915B6-34B1-46BD-A2B6-B9ED0485E4E8.jpeg
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Jeffinn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:36 pm For some reason when I first read your post title I was thinking more along these lines:

B88915B6-34B1-46BD-A2B6-B9ED0485E4E8.jpeg
Been there, done that ::dang::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”