Cattaraugus Jumbo Jack

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Cattaraugus Jumbo Jack

Post by JohnR »

Been awhile since I've been able to add another Jumbo Jack to the collection. Landed a Cattaraugus 4 1/8" bone Jumbo last week, first bone handled one I've been able to find, most are wood.
Has all appearances of being an early Catt, never seen the jigging on a Catt before, hammered pins, mix of 4 line tang stamps, straight on main, arched on pen, no pattern number. Has a faint Cattaraugus Cutlery Our Best banner etch.
Last pic shows it next to an Ulster and a Walden Jumbo, I'm up to about a dozen Jumbo's now and it has taken years to find them.
Attachments
IMG_5837.jpeg
IMG_5840.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5855.jpeg
IMG_5847.jpeg
IMG_5848.jpeg
IMG_5850.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattaraugus Jumbo Jack

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 pm Been awhile since I've been able to add another Jumbo Jack to the collection. Landed a Cattaraugus 4 1/8" bone Jumbo last week, first bone handled one I've been able to find, most are wood.
Has all appearances of being an early Catt, never seen the jigging on a Catt before, hammered pins, mix of 4 line tang stamps, straight on main, arched on pen, no pattern number. Has a faint Cattaraugus Cutlery Our Best banner etch.
Last pic shows it next to an Ulster and a Walden Jumbo, I'm up to about a dozen Jumbo's now and it has taken years to find them.
Beautiful!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
WVbladetrade
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WVbladetrade »

John real nice pieces,,,,,,,,, and the Cattaraugus with some etch, doesn’t get any better,,
Tom
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a beautiful big jack knife. ::tu::
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

All beautiful Jumbo jacks. The ebony one with the large bolster looks like the fat main blade and fat spring ones. I have 5 of those, all different hardware or knife companies, but all appear to be made by the same knife company. They are an awesome knife pattern, and a step above most jumbo jacks.____Dave
BWT

Post by BWT »

Great find John ::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice collection ::tu:: ::tu:: Thanks for sharing.
Bill
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wonderful find
The bones are awesome. Congrats. Thanks for the pics. ::handshake::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu::
Roger
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I'd say that ol' Catt was worth the wait !
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you all for the comments, Dave, the Walden while having substantial blades and springs is not the fat one, I have a Robeson that has the fat blade and spring and have seen a few other makers, you don't come across them all that often.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

JohnR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 am Thank you all for the comments, Dave, the Walden while having substantial blades and springs is not the fat one, I have a Robeson that has the fat blade and spring and have seen a few other makers, you don't come across them all that often.
Thanks John. I did some research years ago after finding several of these fat jacks trying to find where that particular pattern with the large bolsters and fat springs came from, and couldn't find any old English, German or American companies that made them before this batch came out. The ones I have are hardware companies like Mahor Grosh and both Simmons and Keen Cutter along with a few more that escape my memory without digging into my safe. The frames are identical, but some have two blades, some have one blade and, I believe some had different shaped blades. Mahor Grosh had several different blade offerings according to old catalogs.____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome looking trio! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Very old straight line tang stamp on one blade.

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”