Cattaraugus Pan American expo knives

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Cattaraugus Pan American expo knives

Post by galvanic1882 »

So, in 1901 JBF Champlin had a booth at the Pan American Expo in Buffalo NY 1901. In that expo he had an unbelievable group of knives. This whittler is one of them. If you can find a copy of a pocket knives price guide dated 1979 by James Parker and Bruce Voyles you can see the write up and pictures of the pearl knives. Pages 203-210 has the pictures of the knives; page 205 has this whittler shown. There were also the same knives made in, what many believed, Ivory covers. Years later it was determined that those knives were covered in smooth bone. I have never seen any of them but wish I could find at least a few. Attached is a picture showing the other Pearls I have from the expo and some advertising items that were give aways.

Also pictured are the large carving pieces that were displayed at the expo. I was able to find where most of them were and get them all together for a picture. Some are in the American Cutlery Museum and others are in private collections. I had 4 sets of the carvers and just bought 2 more sets and the large wooden handles butcher knife shown. I had been trying to buy them for a very long time. They were owned by the grandson of the last President of Cattaraugus Cutlery.
Attachments
IMG_3374.JPG
PanAm1.jpeg
IMG_3449.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg
Beavertail

Re: Cattaraugus Pan American expo knives

Post by Beavertail »

That whittler is absolutely gorgeous! ::tu::
I have a MOP Bulldog brand whittler that's practically identical.
Jim Parker must have used the Cattaraugus as a model when he had the Bulldog version made.
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

galvanic1882 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:34 pm So, in 1901 JBF Champlin had a booth at the Pan American Expo in Buffalo NY 1901. In that expo he had an unbelievable group of knives. This whittler is one of them. If you can find a copy of a pocket knives price guide dated 1979 by James Parker and Bruce Voyles you can see the write up and pictures of the pearl knives. Pages 203-210 has the pictures of the knives; page 205 has this whittler shown. There were also the same knives made in, what many believed, Ivory covers. Years later it was determined that those knives were covered in smooth bone. I have never seen any of them but wish I could find at least a few. Attached is a picture showing the other Pearls I have from the expo and some advertising items that were give aways.

Also pictured are the large carving pieces that were displayed at the expo. I was able to find where most of them were and get them all together for a picture. Some are in the American Cutlery Museum and others are in private collections. I had 4 sets of the carvers and just bought 2 more sets and the large wooden handles butcher knife shown. I had been trying to buy them for a very long time. They were owned by the grandson of the last President of Cattaraugus Cutlery.
Beautiful Mike. Some really interesting knives in there. What is the longest knife in the center of the 2nd picture with the mosaic covers and round pommel? How long is it open, who made it, etc.? Thx! 8)
8)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Man, you're in my wheelhouse now! Great post, Thanks. J.O'.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm
galvanic1882 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:34 pm So, in 1901 JBF Champlin had a booth at the Pan American Expo in Buffalo NY 1901. In that expo he had an unbelievable group of knives. This whittler is one of them. If you can find a copy of a pocket knives price guide dated 1979 by James Parker and Bruce Voyles you can see the write up and pictures of the pearl knives. Pages 203-210 has the pictures of the knives; page 205 has this whittler shown. There were also the same knives made in, what many believed, Ivory covers. Years later it was determined that those knives were covered in smooth bone. I have never seen any of them but wish I could find at least a few. Attached is a picture showing the other Pearls I have from the expo and some advertising items that were give aways.

Beautiful Mike. Some really interesting knives in there. What is the longest knife in the center of the 2nd picture with the mosaic covers and round pommel? How long is it open, who made it, etc.? Thx! 8)
I don’t own the knife but here is the owner standing next to it. He owns the American Cutlery museum in Cattaraugus.
Attachments
DC724586-6A89-4B7B-BE53-EC91398D1B7C.jpeg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Now that's a KNIFE!!! ::woot:: Wow! :shock:

::hmm:: Maybe still a bit small for Madmarco though. :mrgreen: ::poke::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the picture Mike. Now THAT'S a BIG knife! From the picture I had no idea it was that big. It would seem I have met my match! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TPK wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:33 pm Now that's a KNIFE!!! ::woot:: Wow! :shock:

I never thought I would see the day that the words "that's almost too big" would cross my lips Tom, but.....! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:17 pm

I never thought I would see the day that the words "that's almost too big" would cross my lips Tom, but.....! 8)
::nod:: Almost :wink: ::tu:: ::super_happy:: :lol:

One good thing about it is, you wouldn't forget it's in your pocket when you put your cloths in the wash. And if by some chance you did, your wife would notice. ::nod:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

What is the length of the pearl whittler? Is the tang stamp really kind of light, not deep?
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Stamp on all blades is good. 4 1/8” closed
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TPK wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:05 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:17 pm

::nod:: Almost :wink: ::tu:: ::super_happy:: :lol:

One good thing about it is, you wouldn't forget it's in your pocket when you put your cloths in the wash. And if by some chance you did, your wife would notice. ::nod:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:
I'd hate to see the pants that has pockets big enough to put THAT knife in Tom! ::woot:: LOL! 8)
8)
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's a pair of unused handles from a pen knife Cattaraugus made.
Evidently they sold or gave away these knives during the Expo in 1901.

Anyone here have the completed knife?
Pretty cool knowing the exact age of them, 122 years old!
Attachments
Catt1 (1).jpg
AAPK Janitor
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool, Dimitri! 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks John ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”