Rare Cattaraugus group of knives!!!

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Rare Cattaraugus group of knives!!!

Post by galvanic1882 »

I have been asked to sell a collection of Cattaraugus knives that date from 1920-1945 or there abouts. The knives were found in the home of the last President of Cattaraugus Cutlery by his Grandson. There is a take apart knife and fork that has yellow celluloid handles that are gassing out. It affected some of the knives in the roll but not all. I am just about done working on the knives to remove the rust on the ones that were affected.

There are 20 Salesmans' knives in the group but 2 of them, the yellow take a part knife and big 4 bladed black bone Congress that have rust. The rest of the Salesmans knives have some minor spotting, they could use some oil and light cleaning to get some film off them. They all were sitting in an uncontrolled room since the factory closed in 1964. Some really cool stuff is in the group. I have had offers on the lot of Salesman's knives, but they are not sold yet.

There are 2 TL-29 electrician knives in the group that have Nickle silver liners and lock tab. No brass on them at all, never saw that before. I also posted in the military section a Navy Pilot's knife that is marked Cattaraugus on the tang and i have never seen another one marked that way??

Here are some pictures of the group.
Attachments
IMG_3464.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Rare Cattaraugus group of knives!!!

Post by galvanic1882 »

Some more pictures,
Attachments
IMG_3508.jpg
IMG_3507.jpg
IMG_3506.jpg
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

How do you plan to sell the knives?
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Taking offers on the 18 salesmen's knives and the others I will be offering for sale one by one, shoot me a PM
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Even at my age I would like to bid on the knife and fork combo. Nice collection, you have worked hard for it.

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”