Catt Razor Gift

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Ridgegrass

Catt Razor Gift

Post by Ridgegrass »

My Buddy and fellow collector, Ronnie Gray, gave me this untouched Catt razor and a nice Kinfolks box yesterday. Thanks Ronnie. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5590.jpg
IMG_5591.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Catt Razor Gift

Post by doglegg »

That thing is brand new! What a wonderful gift and friend..
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:46 pm My Buddy and fellow collector, Ronnie Gray, gave me this untouched Catt razor and a nice Kinfolks box yesterday. Thanks Ronnie. J.O'.
Hey Ridge, pretty cool to have such a friend! And in that condition with the kinfolk’s box . Fantastic Friend.
JP
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Yep, Ronnie is an "old school" collector who enjoys a swap or an outright gift if it's something he feels belongs more in your collection then his.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice razor great friend, J.O'.!
I personally don't follow or collect razors, but there's somethin' about them that just makes em' cool! 8)
I would like to try shaving with one someday! ::hmm::
8)
8)
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Nice ::tu::
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Jack knife Ben sold some razors. These were the real fancy ones.
Attachments
DB59C135-A43F-45D6-B6E6-1913FC4542A7.jpeg
518C3773-FC6F-4551-AE3E-2893F8BAF83A.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Marco, I tried. I think it takes a lot of softening prep. I ain't man enough. :D When I was about 18 I dated an Italian girl whose grandfather was a barber across the street from city hall in Baltimore. I stopped in and asked him for a shave. After a near-scalding from his towel wrap from an old time steamer, I got a straight razor shave that lasted about three or four days. Also, in Vietnam the barbers used straight razors and would shave you all down the neck and your back. I think they hated body hair as they have very little. We were always afraid of getting our throats slit, so one of us would keep a gun pointed at the barber while he shaved another of us. War sucks that way. Oh well, get the blade well honed and stropped and good luck. O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

JKB: That one's special. They really knew their market. J.O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for that information, J.O'., they make it look so easy but I guess not!
I was always fascinated watching the old westerns when the town barber would do a straight shave on a customer, cuz those ole' cowboys were so grizzled looking with their tans and sweat and stubble, but after the shave they looked human again.
I was aware of the hot-towel bit, although, I wasn't aware it needs to be scalding. I guess to do it at home you can adjust how hot the towel is, cuz I don't doubt a barber will make it as hot as humanly possible in order to make their job easier short of creating a law suit.
That's a fact about body hair and Asian men, bud, I believe they see it as really ugly and something to be removed immediately. You think you're not man enough for a straight shave do you? I'd say it takes a real man to sit in a chair while someone who hates you hovers overhead with an extremely sharp object in their hand, armed guards or not!
When I said I'd like to try using a straight razor someday I didn't mean anytime soon, cuz currently I'm not much for shaving, period!
8)
WIN_20230519_15_44_02_Pro.jpg
8)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Better try a chain saw!!! Funny, I always wonder what someone might look like. I was wrong on you. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Please, tell me what you thought I looked like, J.O'., just so I know how I'm coming across to people. Thx! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

What a great gift! ::tu:: And I didn't figure Mark would have a Billy Gibbons beard...
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

J.O'. said the same thing, Dan, please, tell me, how DID you figure I looked? ::shrug:: Thx!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Honestly, Not sure but just assuming from your pics always at the same angle I thought you might have limited mobility. Appearance wise, I thought you might be a conservative looking, middle-aged gentleman in a plaid, collared shirt and khaki pants. No reasoning behind that at all, just your friendly and respectful, and encouraging posts to everybody. Glad to make a more accurate image now. ::handshake:: John O',
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you, John, I appreciate that. ::handshake::
I don't have any mobility problems, but my butt is usually in the hanging chair you see in the pictures most of the day, while I work on my laptop and/or watch TV. My Dr. would probably say I have mobility problems cuz he's constantly bugging me to keep moving! lol!
I'm 5' 10" and weigh 160 lbs. and I'll be 70 in August, so I'm sure it's not because my body is overweight and out of shape, but more about staying active as we get older, which I am terribly guilty of not doing.
The reason my pics are all the same is, I need 1 hand to hold the knife or anything else I photograph, and 1 to click the button to take the pics. I don't have a mobile phone to take pictures and transfer them to my laptop, I only have the built-in camera in my laptop, so that's why they're sub-par and always the same.
I've often wondered if folks thought of me as a educated conservative individual because of the way I speak and describe things, and from what you say it would seem I'm correct, but I don't think I've ever worn a collared plaid shirt or khaki pants, it's been jeans and T-shirts for me as far back as I remember. I'm just an old rounder from way back with GEC taste on a Rough Rider budget!
My being friendly respectful and encouraging comes naturally from my upbringing and my parents showing me much love and teaching me right from wrong. I TRY to treat others the way I want to be treated, but I can assure you I've fallen short of that ideal plenty of times over the years, but I just keep-on trying, progress not perfection I always say!
I just realized I've hijacked another topic so I'll stop here, ::facepalm:: and my apologies to the you the OP'er for doing so, thx again! ::handshake::
Mark! 8)
8)
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Good man. O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Good man. O'.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Not numbered so I think this was a one off razor.
Attachments
IMG_5491.jpeg
IMG_5492.jpeg
IMG_5493.jpeg
IMG_5494.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Now that's cool. O'.

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”