Real or Fake???

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
STLChris

Real or Fake???

Post by STLChris »

Hello all! I recently picked up this Keen Kutter Large Coke Bottle. Initially, I was beyond thrilled to add it to my collection as it is from one of my favorite companies and one of my favorite patterns....not to mention it is a stellar specimen! Or is it? I'm holding out hope that it is real, but feel that it could potentially be a fake. My primary concerns are that 1) I can't find another one of these on the internet anywhere 2) I've never seen Keen Kutter with the particular bone and jigging before. Please help me out with some thoughtful responses!!
IMG_6971.jpg
IMG_6972.jpg
IMG_6973.jpg
IMG_6974.jpg
IMG_6975.jpg
IMG_6976.jpg
IMG_6977.jpg
Chris | River City Knife Traders
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Real or Fake???

Post by btrwtr »

Sorry but doesn't look good to me. Nothing about it that looks to be an old Keen Kutter knife.
Any Keen Kutter coke bottle I have seen was straight sided at the head end. This swell end was used by Case, Western, Queen and Kaber. I'm sure there were others as well. The pattern number and bone don't look to be Keen Kutter. Maybe others might have some ideas about it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Were there some knives branded "Keen Kutter" brought out in early 1990's by Mr. Parker ?
Or is my memory 'crossing wires' again ?
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The tang stamp is also different. On all my old Keen Kutters with E. C. Simmons St Louis , the tops of the Ts in KUTTER align. The tang stamp in the OP does not. St. Louis is spelled out instead of abbreviated STL.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

It reminds me of a Case Classic. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

The knife is a bad fake. However, I believe the tang stamp is OK (not on that knife though). Below are pictures of a knife I have with the same stamp. I also have other Camillus made Keen Kutters where the tops of the T's do not line up.
RIMG1988.JPG
RIMG2581.JPG
Here is the knife the stamps are on.
RIMG2575.JPG
I believe that whoever faked this knife may have had an actual old Keen Kutter stamp. If someone was going to go to the trouble of cutting a fake KK stamp, why would they not fake one of the more common ones. I also wonder why someone who had access to a KK stamp would put it on such an obvious fake?
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Instead of it being a 'regular' fake, could it be a Parker K.K. 'reproduction' knife ? He used old defunct USA markings numerous times.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:17 am Instead of it being a 'regular' fake, could it be a Parker K.K. 'reproduction' knife ? He used old defunct USA markings numerous times.
kj
I don’t know the answer to your question whether Parker made the OP knife, but regardless it’s still a fake like all the unauthorized others he did like that. Many of them were made in Germany, with the country of origin inked (not stamped) on the blade. Tell me that wasn’t done with the intention of it being easily removed. ::facepalm:: (which in many cases, it was.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ken i agree with you.
What i was trying to differentiate is a fake made by a knife mechanic in his workshop, vs. a production fake. Of course Mr. Parker was hoping to fool the novice collector into thinking the knife is an original.
kj

Return to “Keen Kutter”