Keen Kutter Authentic?

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
BrainDocB

Keen Kutter Authentic?

Post by BrainDocB »

Hi all,

I’m new to the group. I’ve recently grown very fond of the doctor’s knife pattern, and came across this from a seller online (pics attached). I’d love to own a Keen Kutter doctor’s knife, but want to make sure it’s the real deal. I’m questioning its authenticity however. Is it just me, or do the stamps seem “off” to you. I’d appreciate any thoughts!
6DD119AE-8AAE-4D59-AF13-5D7C7F4E63BB.png
693C9BC3-F0C4-4FD9-A632-CD2104F5169F.png
8A778B58-09C5-4EC6-A4EF-D0AEF4F1F813.png
D75C9F9A-848B-4AEA-8821-D17156F76DA1.png
8E575E11-F852-498F-865C-92AE86495FB1.png
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Keen Kutter Authentic?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

BrainDocB wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:59 pm Hi all.....
Hi and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
First, I do not collect, nor do I have ANY knowledge involving Keen Kutter Knives. That being said, I found these descriptions in my book. Hopefully, someone will stop by here and provide you with some legitimate answers.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ditto, welcome to AAPK! I'm not certain, but I think this knife is one that I looked at and it may be for sale by one of our own members, Tom McCandless. I can tell you that Tom is quite knowledgeable, and is a man of the highest integrity. I have his excellent book on early Case knives, which I refer to quite often. You might want to send him your questions directly through ebay's message system.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
BrainDocB

Post by BrainDocB »

Thank you for the very helpful information and feedback. And thanks for the welcomes!

The pages from the book are very helpful. I do see the differences with the shield in particularly, and this particular one is made from bone, so may be a different knife altogether from the ones in the book shown.

Thanks for letting me know about the seller, makes me feel better knowing it might be coming from someone like that. Will be sure to reach out to Tom.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I think the tang stamps look authentic. I was unaware that they stamped the bolster on the bottom of the Dr. knife, I like that.
As you probably know Keen Kutter had a lot of various manufacturers make knives for them over the many decades that they were around. That contributes to the differences in some of the tang stamps and heaven help you if you find a pattern number that is NOT in the book. You will get to a point where you just can’t research any further and you have to take your best guess.
This one does look legit.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BrainDocB wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:59 pm Hi all,

I’m new to the group. I’ve recently grown very fond of the doctor’s knife pattern, and came across this from a seller online (pics attached). I’d love to own a Keen Kutter doctor’s knife, but want to make sure it’s the real deal. I’m questioning its authenticity however. Is it just me, or do the stamps seem “off” to you. I’d appreciate any thoughts!

6DD119AE-8AAE-4D59-AF13-5D7C7F4E63BB.png

693C9BC3-F0C4-4FD9-A632-CD2104F5169F.png

8A778B58-09C5-4EC6-A4EF-D0AEF4F1F813.png

D75C9F9A-848B-4AEA-8821-D17156F76DA1.png

8E575E

11-F852-498F-865C-92AE86495FB1.png

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forum!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
BrainDocB

Post by BrainDocB »

:D

Thanks for the helpful info. I’m really seeing the challenge of being precise with identification! That said, your feedback is very helpful. Looking forward to gaining more experience with these.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Speaking authentic, can any one verify the age of this picture? I found it in a cardboard tube in a box of very old knive.
Attachments
D304C9F9-9F10-48DE-9D72-A460255A625D.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’m saw that exact poster a few years ago at SMKW store. I was appalled by what it was depicting, that’s why I remembered it. You should probably look on the back to see if it has any kind of markings. It has probably been reproduced many times over the years.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Thanks for the advice. I have it hanging in my knife room and get some real comments, about ready to see if anyone else wants it.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

BrainDocB, the stamps look good to me. I believe the knife is a K26003. The book description says stag handles, but this was what jigged bone was called in a lot of the old catalogs. Stag was usually described as genuine stag. Below are a couple of pics of my K26003.
Attachments
RIMG1760.JPG
RIMG1762.JPG
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dan, that is a fabulous knife! Wonderful handles, just beautiful. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 pm Speaking authentic, can any one verify the age of this picture? I found it in a cardboard tube in a box of very old knive.
This is a recent fantasy item.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks for the comment, doglegg.
Dan
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »