Cheap Keen Kutter...any red flags flying?

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
Dan In MI

Cheap Keen Kutter...any red flags flying?

Post by Dan In MI »

I came across this old Keen Kutter on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164824832914
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
The main draw is the low buy-in. The covers appear to be a little shrunken, and the pen blade seems to have its tip broken off. Since it has already been bid on, I'd like to know if it raises any red flags among Keen Kutter collectors. If not, I might just throw a bid on it.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cheap Keen Kutter...any red flags flying?

Post by knifeaholic »

It's real, but one of the lower end Keen Kutter knives made by Camillus in the 1950's. Not to be confused with the older EC Simmons marked Keen Kutters made by Walden/Winchester.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

It's real, but one of the lower end Keen Kutter knives made by Camillus in the 1950's. Not to be confused with the older EC Simmons marked Keen Kutters made by Walden/Winchester.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knifeaholic wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:06 am It's real, but one of the lower end Keen Kutter knives made by Camillus in the 1950's. Not to be confused with the older EC Simmons marked Keen Kutters made by Walden/Winchester.
I agree but the condition is the question. "Blades have spring and or snap" ?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Many collectors will not buy an old knife with celluloid handles so the 'demand' is low, hence price is likely to be low.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:26 am Many collectors will not buy an old knife with celluloid handles so the 'demand' is low, hence price is likely to be low.
kj
I will buy celluloids but only if the knife is special and price is below my threshold for what I’m willing to risk should the knife go bad. It’s a high criteria and a pretty low threshold so I don’t buy many celluloids. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:30 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:26 am Many collectors will not buy an old knife with celluloid handles so the 'demand' is low, hence price is likely to be low.
kj
I will buy celluloids but only if the knife is special and price is below my threshold for what I’m willing to risk should the knife go bad. It’s a high criteria and a pretty low threshold so I don’t buy many celluloids. :lol:

Ken
Something in the $5-$10 range, right.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Should make a decent user once you get that nasty celluloid off and replaced with something else. $10, as has been said, would be my budget. I don't mind a rough knife to give me an example of a certain tang stamp, but it has to be usable. As long as the snap is good, and there's minimal wobble, I'm fine with it. Yeah, I have low standards....
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:39 pm I have low standards....
The same could be said of me. Adding minimal sharpening to Cody's list pretty well covers my standards.

Concerning the Keen Kutter I asked about, I'm not worried about it being made by Camillus so much as I am the covers being celluloid. Upon closer examination of the photos, it looks like some outgassing has already started. I wouldn't be looking at this knife as a user, so I'll pass on it.

Thanks to all for the help.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Keen Kutter”