Who's into S & M?

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Who's into S & M?

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful auto, C-W!
I'm hoping to add one of those to my knives someday, congratulations!
8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:35 pm I’ve posted this elsewhere (maybe switchblades) but here’s my largest folder, automatic and S&M all in one. Did some trading on here to get it and am happy to have it.
Nice one. I've seen a few of those S&M customs. Like the ones with a wharn and have heard good things about them. Bit pricy but hey, if you want the good stuff, ya gotta pay for it. Congrats on horse trading for that beauty.

Thanks again Marco, appreciate the compliment my friend and have a great one with that sweeeeeeeeeeeeet saber and that sweet swedge.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks, pal!
8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yes, that grey rock sets off the knives' colors very nicely.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 am Yes, that grey rock sets off the knives' colors very nicely.
Thanks a lot Quick for the photo compliments, appreciate the mention ::handshake:: and have a great one.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

Back in about 2016 I started in this hobby by collecting a few different brands but mostly I grabbed GEC knives, a couple of Case and a few German brands from Solengen. AS I learned more about what I liked and GEC started to get weird I turned to Queen brands and mostly Schatt & Morgan.

At this point I'd say that my collection is about 70% S&M and the more knives I inspect the more I like the Knives out of Queen from about the early 90s till they closed in 2018. I only have a few from the DFC era but the products prior to that when BH was there are the best quality production traditional pocket knives I have found.

Yeah I love S & M knives!
Attachments
20221213_124231.jpg
20230331_093143.jpg
20230324_095943.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Couldn’t agree more flynbulldog. Those are some exceptional knives you have there.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A fine collection of S&Ms. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Some beautiful knives, Dog, I love S & M knives too!
8)
8)
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

Thanks guys and yeah I've picked up several beautiful knives from Mark at SSK who always has the most beautiful S&M offerings. ::ds::

these pictures are what I use in my knife catalog when I enter them into the log. I usually shoot several different angles and configurations.
Here are a couple more. I sort of fell in love with this baby sunfish pattern with coined engraved bolsters so I have a couple of them with different handle materials,

and I picked up a beautiful Stag large Reverse Gunstock a few weeks ago. It's an odd name, the pattern looks more like a rail splitter stockman to me. ::shrug:: But just look at the beautiful style of this knife; slanted grooved bolsters, double nail nick, and spectacular stag. wow!

I stared collecting a couple of the 2002 100th anniversary buffalo and pearl handled heritage keystones and before long I had a complete set, (it actually took me a couple of years to find the knives I needed for the set) then I ran across this fully intact numbered set that was sold through AG Russel, number 10 of 50. Later, I found another of the numbered cases and bought the case so now I do have 2 full sets.

I modified the second set, it includes a 2002 presidents choice Elephant Toe and a File and Wire sunfish. The second set are all patterns that I love and I removed the Barlow jack and Hunter which aren't much interest to me. Those are in another display case.
Attachments
20230127_092132.jpg
20230610_195157.jpg
20230413_160951 small.jpg
collection case number 2 small.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Your displays look teriffic, Dog, congratulations on your focus! ::handshake::
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

flynbulldog wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:01 am Thanks guys and yeah I've picked up several beautiful knives from Mark at SSK who always has the most beautiful S&M offerings. ::ds::

these pictures are what I use in my knife catalog when I enter them into the log. I usually shoot several different angles and configurations.
Here are a couple more. I sort of fell in love with this baby sunfish pattern with coined engraved bolsters so I have a couple of them with different handle materials,

and I picked up a beautiful Stag large Reverse Gunstock a few weeks ago. It's an odd name, the pattern looks more like a rail splitter stockman to me. ::shrug:: But just look at the beautiful style of this knife; slanted grooved bolsters, double nail nick, and spectacular stag. wow!

I stared collecting a couple of the 2002 100th anniversary buffalo and pearl handled heritage keystones and before long I had a complete set, (it actually took me a couple of years to find the knives I needed for the set) then I ran across this fully intact numbered set that was sold through AG Russel, number 10 of 50. Later, I found another of the numbered cases and bought the case so now I do have 2 full sets.

I modified the second set, it includes a 2002 presidents choice Elephant Toe and a File and Wire sunfish. The second set are all patterns that I love and I removed the Barlow jack and Hunter which aren't much interest to me. Those are in another display case.

Sweet collection and display case. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks Bulldog, I wondered if I had sold you some of those, they look familiar, but I do sell a lot of S&M knives and can’t remember all of them.
You have a terrific S&M collection keep ‘em coming.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I like their older knives the best. Older the better. I used to buy S&M and Queen until about 2015 when the quality got so bad and the flaws so serious I quit them. Was not surprised when they shut down. But I have several from the 90"s and 70's that were made way back when the quality was very good. These Drake well Queens and the S&M with the brown bone and the red whittler are excellent. Then some I bought in the last ten years they were open were very disappointing. Shame to watch them and Schrade slowly decline until they closed.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210725_201210.jpg
thumbnail_20210725_201242.jpg
thumbnail_20210725_201257.jpg
20230520_162010.jpg
20230525_171047.jpg
thumbnail_20230427_164535.jpg
thumbnail_20211009_170540.jpg
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

Here are two of my newer knives.
Attachments
S&M.jpg
S&M2.jpg
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Here is a nice little 2 5/8" S & M
Attachments
20230812_140431.jpg
20230812_140450.jpg
20230812_140516.jpg
20230812_140547.jpg
Ike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Indeed. Very knice knife.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Chickenman and Ike, you both have knives with great appeal.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

flynbulldog wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:49 pm Back in about 2016 I started in this hobby by collecting a few different brands but mostly I grabbed GEC knives, a couple of Case and a few German brands from Solengen. AS I learned more about what I liked and GEC started to get weird I turned to Queen brands and mostly Schatt & Morgan.

At this point I'd say that my collection is about 70% S&M and the more knives I inspect the more I like the Knives out of Queen from about the early 90s till they closed in 2018. I only have a few from the DFC era but the products prior to that when BH was there are the best quality production traditional pocket knives I have found.

Nice knives, you have some sweeties for sure, but that era was the end and there was a reason it edned. Check out the oldies and you will be blown away, back when they were up to par with the greats. The older the better with S&M.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210901_090846.jpg
thumbnail_20210901_090927.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:22 pm Here is a nice little 2 5/8" S & M
Fabulous piece, love those old bones and the style. ::tu:: ::tu::
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:10 am

Nice knives, you have some sweeties for sure, but that era was the end and there was a reason it edned. Check out the oldies and you will be blown away, back when they were up to par with the greats. The older the better with S&M.
I started into this hobby because I found about 30 knives scattered around my father-in-law's house after he passed. They were mostly knives he had used up and tossed in a drawer after he bought another one. Some of these knives go back to the 30's and 40's but all of them were used hard and beat. I currently have them in a collection box together - and keep them out of respect for him.

But there's not a one that will hold a candle to the knives out of Queen made in the 90's and 2000's, In my eyes they aren't even close. I dont have a lot of experience with vintage pocket knives but the real old stuff I've handled from his collection and at knife shows are all cheap junk. I haven't found a single one that I would add to my collection.

I suppose some really nice old knives could change my mind but so far I've seen nothing that has. I don't like the really old stuff
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

flynbulldog wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:49 pm I turned to Queen brands and mostly Schatt & Morgan.

"Couldn’t agree more flynbulldog. Those are some exceptional knives you have there." This says it all... those are beautiful knives! ::tu:: ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

One reason that I collect them is that my mother was from Titusville, PA, where they were made.
Attachments
DSCF3433.JPG
DSCF3434.JPG
DSCF3435.JPG
DSCF3437.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:07 am One reason that I collect them is that my mother was from Titusville, PA, where they were made.
That is one classy looking knife!
Ike
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:07 am One reason that I collect them is that my mother was from Titusville, PA, where they were made.
That is one classy looking knife!
::handshake:: Thanks Ike!

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”