It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Post by texoma »

Not sure what to think about the newsletter that was sent out, it was published October 7, maybe it's finally happening.
Edit/ missed the post that they're already for sale
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kennedy knives wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:12 am You can buy a Weed & Go. Knife from Franks Classic Knives now he has them in his store for $125.00 :D
Bingo!
::tu:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Nate

Post by Nate »

Available now on SMKW.com
Weed & Co.JPG
Cheaper than Frank!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nate wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm Available now on SMKW.com
Weed & Co.JPG

Cheaper than Frank!

TPK/C. Risner had them for sale last night, $95 I think, and they sold like GECs. 💸
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:41 pm
Weed & Co.JPG

Cheaper than Frank!

TPK/C. Risner had them for sale last night, $95 I think, and they sold like GECs. 💸
Yup, the demand is there mate.
As long as Gilbert keeps quality up, they will be as hot as GEC... People want traditionally made, USA cutlery; and there willing to pay for it.
It's called the free market, He's supplying a demand that hardly anyone else is. Hence the $$$ on the secondary market.
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 pm
Weed & Co.JPG

Cheaper than Frank!

As long as Gilbert keeps quality up, they will be as hot as GEC... People want traditionally made, USA cutlery; and there willing to pay for it.
It's called the free market, He's supplying a demand that hardly anyone else is. Hence the $$$ on the secondary market.
Has anyone verified that these are 100% USA made, both the component parts and the final assembly? Not saying that they aren't, but at these price points they ought to be 100% on both...
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

knifeaholic wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:21 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 pm

Has anyone verified that these are 100% USA made, both the component parts and the final assembly? Not saying that they aren't, but at these price points they ought to be 100% on both...
50/50 here Steve. Gilbert needs to clarify, before He takes things further. Because we are humans, perceptions carry weight (shouldn't, but it does).
Honestly, if brass comes from China, pin stock from Canada, bone from India, blades from USA; I could care less!
As long as the knife is of good quality, made as He states, them I'm 100% all-in.
JMHO, take it or leave it.
:|
Winston Churchill

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:26 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:41 pm There are what appear to be new release from Schatt&Morgan on Cutlery Corner, $250, have a look mate and see what you think. ::tu::
Here's the link:
https://www.cutlerycorner.net/Products/ ... ATT+MORGAN

I like the looks of the EO Bomber Jack, especially the tang stamp...very cool!! (I assume the "G Co" that is incorporated into the S&M stamp stands for "Gilbert Cooper")
S&M Jack.jpg

But, the $250 price tag seems a bit steep, IMO (suggested MSRP is $499.95 :shock:). That's Tuna Valley prices...are these knives on the same quality level as Tuna Valley?? I guess there's only one way to find out. In the windsurfing community there's a term for the first person to go out on the water each day and "test the wind"...they're called the "wind dummy". I wonder who will be the "knife dummy", i.e., the first person willing to risk $250 to find out if it's worth the money? (Hint: it won't be me.)

I was intrigued by the "Our Choice Old School" option at the bottom of the page, which appears to be an offer in which for $175 Cutlery Corner selects an "old school" knife for you that is supposedly worth $329.95 (MSRP). Are there really people willing to risk that much on a knife they can't even see before buying? ::shrug:: I've never seen this tactic used with knives before.
Agreed with all you said, but I'm not convinced the "wind dummies" are out there yet. Over a month and many days later they are still available. I guess it's not quite as popular as a GEC release and for good reason. Looks like cheap lame bone on my computer from all the pics I saw. And the retail price of $499 to me is absolutely ridiculous and insulting. $250 is a joke too. They don't even charge near that much for a new GEC and GEC is a proven winner. Even $250 seems clueless for an unproven, unknown quantity and quality. I don't see anyone on the forums or youtube singing their praises either. That they are not selling out by now says a lot too. Starting to feel like all hype and deception to me. If they were that good the selling would show it immediately. Not happening. Thanks for all the info and links though all of you. It was interesting to peruse, but you couldn't get me to be the wind dummy if you paid me half the price so I only had to put in half the price to get one. Big disappointment looking at them anyway. Your results may vary. ::td::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

So Mr. Cooper is doing these, John Primble and the Weed & Co. pocket knives in Manchester, OH? Any others?

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:43 pm So Mr. Cooper is doing these, John Primble and the Weed & Co. pocket knives in Manchester, OH? Any others?
Cooper is in Winchester OH.
Primble is Blue Grass in Manchester OH.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

edge213 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:27 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:43 pm So Mr. Cooper is doing these, John Primble and the Weed & Co. pocket knives in Manchester, OH? Any others?
Cooper is in Winchester OH.
Primble is Blue Grass in Manchester OH.

Oh snap! ::facepalm::

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Here's one of these new S&M Tdrops like the one on the previous page, only it's on the auction block. Maybe that will give us a little more objective idea of what the market thinks these are worth as opposed to the suggested retail price. Interesting watch anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133994729724?h ... SwIWZh4b-0
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

For posterity:

Cooper Cut Co S&M TDrop.jpg

Interesting that it's being sold by silverladdie; however, in the description there's no mention of it being made by Cooper Cutlery (instead of by Queen), only says that it features the "all new Schatt & Morgan "S & M" logo." ::hmm::

Hi I'm James Parker and I am offering some knives for auction from a recent acquisition of a large group of knives. The winning bidder pays $5.95 for USPS 1st Class Mail Shipping Delivery Confirmation included in the Shipping price.

This auction is for a Schatt & Morgan Easy Open Teardrop Knife, 2 5/8" closed. The bolsters and pinned shield are brushed Stainless Steel and the blade is forged of 1095 Carbon steel with a rockwell hardness of 60. The handles are super fat Genuine Stag Horn (deer antler) with a unique blue dye process.

The front tang of the Spear blade features the all new Schatt & Morgan "S & M" logo; the rear tang of this blade is stamped with S x M Winchester, Ohio. The blade has a half stop design and has nice walk & talk snap.

Please be sure to see the Supersize Photos as this is the EXACT knife the winning bidder will receive. There are some dark areas on the blade as you can see in the photos and one small crack in the front handle by the top right edge of the bolster.

This Schatt & Morgan Easy Open Teardrop Knife is in the Schatt & Morgan factory box with the new factory brochure and is being offered at No Reserve. Yes A True No Reserve Auction Where The Bidding Starts At .99 Cents. Thanks for your bids, we appreciate it.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I see the Weed knives were sold through dealers but I don’t see any of these new Schatt and Morgans anywhere for sale. Did they sell out already? Am I missing something? This one that Silverladdie has is a good looking knife, but the crack in the handle is a deal killer for me. It’s too bad the first one to appear is either a factory second or is it representative of what the new knives will be like?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 pm I see the Weed knives were sold through dealers but I don’t see any of these new Schatt and Morgans anywhere for sale. Did they sell out already? Am I missing something? This one that Silverladdie has is a good looking knife, but the crack in the handle is a deal killer for me. It’s too bad the first one to appear is either a factory second or is it representative of what the new knives will be like?
I have not seen any of these for sale at any outlets. There were photos posted of the first release well in production posted well before Xmas. So no, you are not missing any thing.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The Blue Stag Teardrop sold for $285.88. But, I am skeptical as to whether that tells us anything about the demand for or quality of the knife itself since I'm seeing knives I bought just last year for $60-$80 selling for two or three times that much. If anything, I think it tells us that knife prices are increasing across the board (although maybe not so much for the knives made in China).

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

For example:

I have purchased about a dozen of this model (1991 S&M 042151) and the most expensive one only cost $85, all the others cost between $60-$75.

This is the second one I've seen sell for over $150 in the last two months. :shock:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353857751074?n ... 7675.l2557
1991 S&M 042151.jpg

~Q~
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:40 am The Blue Stag Teardrop sold for $285.88. But, I am skeptical as to whether that tells us anything about the demand for or quality of the knife itself since I'm seeing knives I bought just last year for $60-$80 selling for two or three times that much. If anything, I think it tells us that knife prices are increasing across the board (although maybe not so much for the knives made in China).
Hi Q,

IMO this development in price increase could be directly related to Covid. I just got a new warehouse job at a place the sells bike & motocross accessories + a few bikes & elektro bikes. They only sell on the internet. They had 20 people before Covid & now have 50 people working there. They have more than doubled in just over two years. More people are at home due to, home office, lock downs or the general fear of going out. Plus the fact that many have not been traveling on vacations as much so they have more money in their pockets. And I believe that many people who, up untill covid, had avoided online shopping have now gotten used to it. Many were forced to improve their online skills and have done it. Just my opinion. ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:08 am
QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:40 am The Blue Stag Teardrop sold for $285.88. But, I am skeptical as to whether that tells us anything about the demand for or quality of the knife itself since I'm seeing knives I bought just last year for $60-$80 selling for two or three times that much. If anything, I think it tells us that knife prices are increasing across the board (although maybe not so much for the knives made in China).
Hi Q,

IMO this development in price increase could be directly related to Covid. I just got a new warehouse job at a place the sells bike & motocross accessories + a few bikes & elektro bikes. They only sell on the internet. They had 20 people before Covid & now have 50 people working there. They have more than doubled in just over two years. More people are at home due to, home office, lock downs or the general fear of going out. Plus the fact that many have not been traveling on vacations as much so they have more money in their pockets. And I believe that many people who, up untill covid, had avoided online shopping have now gotten used to it. Many were forced to improve their online skills and have done it. Just my opinion. ::tu:: :D
No doubt about the shift to online. You are correct that many were forced to shop online, improved their skills and now embrace it. Just the other day i purchased an item online, i would have gone to the store and bought it physically once, but petrol would have been 1/2 the postage cost, so i thought i don't need it today, so why go through the hassle when i could have it delivered for not much more than the cost of petrol, and the convenience.

That being said i would like to see a statement from management about what is actually happening with Schatt&Morgan. It's all speculation at the moment. ::hmm::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Good point about the comparison of gas prices vs. shipping prices. I didn't think of that one because gas prices here are so outrageous ( at like $8 a Gallon ) that shipping prices have often been a fair trade compared to traveling somewhere to pick up something. Depending on how far you have to go to get something. Can you pick it up on your way home from work ::shrug:: or do you have to make an "extra trip" out of town to get it. ::hmm::

In fact, gas prices here are so outrageous that I am concidering buying a 🏍️ motorcycle to save on gas money. ::hmm:: Of course I would only drive it by good weather. I probably won't buy one because I don't have the money for one but with our gas prices it's worth a thought & I actually mentioned it to my wife just yesterday. ::nod:: I'd love to have a Suzuki Van Van 200ccm with the fat 🎈 ballon tires. ::super_happy:: I need about €50 a week to drive to my new job. Which is about $57. I could save 1/2 of that money with a motorcycle. That's well over $100 a month. ::hmm::

I'll also add in that IMO, a large % of those who improved their computer & online shopping skills were probably from the older generations who had more spending money in their pockets to begin with. ::hmm:: Good if your selling stuff online. Bad if your not. ::nod::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Don't know how long your commute is Tom, but would a regular bicycle be viable? Lots of health benefits with that so long as you are not breathing in a lot of car exhaust.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:46 am Don't know how long your commute is Tom, but would a regular bicycle be viable? Lots of health benefits with that so long as you are not breathing in a lot of car exhaust.
::woot:: It's about a 40-45 min. drive one way with my car. Good idea but it would kill me. ::nod:: :lol:

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Don't know what is happening with the actual name Schatt&Morgan. On the Coopers cutlery website there are 12 brand names mentioned but no Schatt & Morgan. This resurrection was first mentioned about 2 years ago, been a long time in the pipe line. Also on their website there are only brand names, no actual knives for sale, very strange. ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cudgee wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:47 am Don't know what is happening with the actual name Schatt&Morgan. On the Coopers cutlery website there are 12 brand names mentioned but no Schatt & Morgan. This resurrection was first mentioned about 2 years ago, been a long time in the pipe line. Also on their website there are only brand names, no actual knives for sale, very strange. ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm::

cudgee, what's the link to the Cooper's website, if you don't mind. Thanks! ::handshake::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Took me a few pages to find this, thanks to Google's stellar search engine :roll: , but here it is-

https://www.coopercutlery.com/

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”