Christmas Knife Schatt & Morgan Bah Humbug!

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
wazu013

Re: Christmas Knife Schatt & Morgan Bah Humbug!

Post by wazu013 »

Customer service isn't a strong suite for most of the Mfgr's. I'm not talking about recent buys they should be covered by the seller. I'm talking about 5 year or older knives that carry a "Lifetime Warranty". I had Case loose 6 at once and told me they weren't going to do anything for me but did after a 3 month ordeal. I had Buck sit on 2 of my knives until I contacted them 9 weeks later then got them 6 weeks after that. I sent an Auto to another company but then they wouldn't send it back unless I produced LEO or Military ID. I finally found a LEO from my old town who made some calls that got it returned but that cost me about $100 in thank you cards. Try Puma or Hubertus if you want to speak to a ghost. Neither returned any e-mails or calls so I finally sent my Hubertus to Bill D who represents them and got the work done for $. I've also had several work out great. I guess my point is luck of the draw. Once a Brand is sold to Taylor or Frost or whoever runs off with it to China I'm out. Not because I have anything against them doing it, it's just I'm a collector and what's to collect from China? All the Chineese made knives I own are sitting at the bottom of a tool or tackle box or stuck in my wood stand. How many knives can I use at this stage of the game?
Just my opinion folks,
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

The thing is, there is no excuse for the QC problems/lousy customer service/ignoring warranties. If Queen made it a priority, they could correct most of this in a short time. They've had a year, so I have to wonder if maybe the company sees the current situation as acceptable.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

coffeecup wrote:The thing is, there is no excuse for the QC problems/lousy customer service/ignoring warranties. If Queen made it a priority, they could correct most of this in a short time. They've had a year, so I have to wonder if maybe the company sees the current situation as acceptable.
I agree with you but I also believe it's an industry wide issue. As far as Queen if they fail it will be because of issues like this. How do 3 bad knives make it out of the plant together to the same customer? Then it seems like damage control doesn't exhist. In my business if your team screws up you get the bad product picked up and replaced ASAP otherwise your reputation takes a beating like this.
What the new owners did for me was more than I expected. They just bought a company that had problems then they honor a warranty implied by them. In my opinion they should NOT honor warranties on any product produced before their take over then move on to concentrate on their own business plan in order to gain some solid ground. Then maybe they would have time and people to jump when there is a QC issue with NEW product. I wonder if the knives that GP sold Colonel26 were new builds or old stock cobbled together before the company sold?
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

wazu013 wrote:I wonder if the knives that GP sold Colonel26 were new builds or old stock cobbled together before the company sold?
In his original post, the Colonel wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:This isn't a chicom el cheapo, it's a Schatt & Morgan/Daniels family knife.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It was a 2013 blade etched knife and a new pattern. If it isn't a Daniels Family knife I'm badly mistaken.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Colonel26 wrote:It was a 2013 blade etched knife and a new pattern. If it isn't a Daniels Family knife I'm badly mistaken.
Absorbing what I read hasn't been my strong suit. I think it's because I always had a window seat in school and the trains kept rolling by :?
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

That is to bad Wade. I would git hold of Queen and see if they can make it right.

I had the same deal with a com. last year on a B-day knife my wife got me it never did git sorted out. It was not Queen but another company that sales high dollar knives. She gave $150.00 for a knife and it was used in shop I am sure of it.I figure I spend several thousand of dollars on knives every year and I am sure that is just a drop in the bucket for a lot of you, but one thing is for sure that company will never git another dime of my cash again and I suggest you do the same.

Look at the GEC knives man you wont be disappointed. I am to the point if I buy new traditional folder that is the first place I look because you just cant beat the knives.

The company's that do business like that wont last long in this world today.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The knife is already taken care of. I received my money from GPKnives and all is done. I decided to email the Daniels family, not because I wanted anything from them, but I decided they need to hear from us that the product Queen is turning out is unacceptable especially at the prices they are charging. I mean a S&M knife is EXPENSIVE, or at least it is for my budget. A knife in that price range ought to be perfect when it leaves the factory.

Ryan Daniels insisted that he owed me something because of their mistakes. We will see what comes of it. I won't post the exact details, but I will let you know my impressions of what they send.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Just got a package from Queen Cutlery. True to their word, they made this more than right. I'm impressed. Some of y'all still have some legitimate issues with them I know. But in this case they did it right.

Still, I want to see a Queen knife before buying, or at least make sure I use a trusted distributor that'll do a complete refund. More to come.. .
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Colonel26 wrote:Just got a package from Queen Cutlery. True to their word, they made this more than right. I'm impressed. Some of y'all still have some legitimate issues with them I know. But in this case they did it right.

Still, I want to see a Queen knife before buying, or at least make sure I use a trusted distributor that'll do a complete refund. More to come.. .
Do tell.... John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Colonel26 wrote:Just got a package from Queen Cutlery. True to their word, they made this more than right. I'm impressed. Some of y'all still have some legitimate issues with them I know. But in this case they did it right.

I'm glad you came out good ::tu:: I think the key for any knife is to buy from a trusted dealer. Then you don't have to get involved with the maker.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

wazu013 wrote:

I'm glad you came out good ::tu:: I think the key for any knife is to buy from a trusted dealer. Then you don't have to get involved with the maker.
Congrats Colonel--glad it came out well for you.

As for "trusted dealer". . . . there are an awful lot of dealers described as "reputable" who expect or "recommend" that a customer take a defective knife back to the factory. Should "trusted dealer" become a new category of knife retailer?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Coffeecup GPKnives took care of us right. They sent a return label and reimbursed us for everything. I like that.

I'm at the movies for my middle boy's birthday right now. I'll post up more later.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Y'all need to remember, the warranty and the guarantee are made by the manufacturer and not the dealer. If the dealer does something for you, it is out of the goodness of his heart and not from any obligation, either morally or legally.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

jerryd6818 wrote:Y'all need to remember, the warranty and the guarantee are made by the manufacturer and not the dealer. If the dealer does something for you, it is out of the goodness of his heart and not from any obligation, either morally or legally.
Perhaps this varies from state-to-state? When I contacted the PA AG's office after the problem last year, I was told that as the knife was new, I should have sought resolution through the dealer rather than going directly to the manufacturer. I've heard similar things from others who have contacted them about problems with PA manufacturers.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since Queen was the original subject of this thread, I'm using the Queen warranty as an example:

Queen Cutlery Company Warranty

Queen Cutlery Company knives are designed and built for use as cutting tools. Use of our knives for any purpose other than cutting is considered abuse. As with any tool Queen Cutlery Company knives can wear out. They may also fail to perform if not used or cared for properly. If your knife has been put to hard use for a long period of time, it is possible that the useful life of the Queen Cutlery Company product has been exceeded and Queen Cutlery Company will be unable to perform any work upon the knife that will improve the condition thereof.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

•Queen Cutlery Company warrants that all of our products are free from defects in material and workmanship.
•Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Queen Cutlery Company unconditionally voids the knife’s warranty.
•Queen Cutlery Company’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.
•If a knife fails to function as it was designed, we will examine its condition upon its return to Queen Cutlery Company identify why it failed and respond in an appropriate manner.
•If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture/materials/workmanship, Queen Cutlery Company will repair, or replace that product with the same model or one of equal value at its own expense.
•If Queen Cutlery Company is unable to improve the condition of the knife, we will return it to you with the recommendation it be retired from use. All costs associated with shipment of the product(s) are the responsibility of the customer.

Taken directly from the Queen website. Where in there does it say that Queen abdicates, to the dealer, their responsibility for defects in material and workmanship????? If you want to put the responsibility for defects in material and workmanship back on the dealer and the dealer accepts that, fine but it is not his responsibility to do so, because he didn't build the damn thing.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

jerryd6818 wrote: Taken directly from the Queen website. Where in there does it say that Queen abdicates, to the dealer, their responsibility for defects in material and workmanship????? If you want to put the responsibility for defects in material and workmanship back on the dealer and the dealer accepts that, fine but it is not his responsibility to do so, because he didn't build the damn thing.
At the time when I spoke with the AG's office, I couldn't ask them to clarify their comments in light of Queen's warranty, because I didn't have a copy of the warranty. It wasn't with the knife when I purchased it, it wasn't on their website, and I couldn't get it from them because they wouldn't answer email.

Just a guess, but the AG's office may have had the common "satisfaction guarantee" in mind. If a retailer offers a "satisfaction guarantee," he is voluntarily assuming some responsibility for consumer satisfaction, which seemingly might include issues relating to defects in materials and workmanship.
junebug

Post by junebug »

I HATE TO CRASH OL' WADES THREAD.......... BUT I HAVE A QUESTION
DO YOU GUYS THINK........THAT THIS WOULD BE COVERED BY QUEEN FOR A WARRANTY????

Q83 STAMP so older knife been used sharpened LOVED by owner.....tight and snappy
issue :
scales are starting to foldin on blades....separating at the springs....pulling pins into bolsters....springs are sinking DOWN into wells too.......and now blade rub starting cuz scales folding in on them.
HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE

COVERED OR NOT ????????

<EDIT> thats oil on blade not dings/bends/chips ::dang::
Attachments
ebay marathon cigar knife 028.JPG
ebay marathon cigar knife 029.JPG
ebay marathon cigar knife 030.JPG
ebay marathon cigar knife 026.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Josh, I have no idea. All I know is that Ryan Daniel sent me some free stuff even though I told him he didn't owe me anything because is already gotten a refund. I do not know how well they'd take care of a knife made before they bought the company. But I bet if you emailed the three email addresses wazu posted earlier you'd get a reply one way or another.

I know others have had no luck getting a response from them, hut I did for some reason. I guess its as they say, "The Lord takes care of infants and idiots!" Depending on who you ask I fall into one or both categories!
Robert E. Lee
junebug

Post by junebug »

HET THANKS,WADE!!!! ::tu:: ::handshake::

now run along home son, yer droolin on yerself and people are startin ta stare

TOTALLY GOOFIN WITH YA OF COURSE ::super_happy:: ::sotb:: ::rotflol:: ::sot::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Well, I've been known to slobber occasionally, and sometimes I get twitchy, but it's usually when I'm looking at knives or guns I can't afford! Lol
Robert E. Lee
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Junebug, I'm starting to believe in the "proximity explanation" for Queen's customer service: if you live close enough they might run into you at a knife show, you're more likely to get taken care of. Let's see, you're in . . . . CALIFORNIA?????????????????? :shock: Nevagonnahappen.

Seriously, about all you can do is try the email addresses and see what they say.

As always when returning a knife to any factory, don't forget to get tracking and delivery confirmation.

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”