S&M Etching Confusion

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Atomic Rooster 57

S&M Etching Confusion

Post by Atomic Rooster 57 »

Greetings,

I'm new around here and still getting the lay of the land. I'm also green when it comes to pocket knife collecting which initiates this query.

I'm looking at purchasing a S&M Whittler but I don't understand the secondary blade etchings on Schatt and Morgan folders. Could someone please bring me up to sped as to what these numbers indicate? Thank you kindly.
Thank you for your support.

Bud
----------------------------------
I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar......don't judge me.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: S&M Etching Confusion

Post by Railsplitter »

Howdy Bud. Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a very good pic but if you're referring to the numbers above "2005" in my picture, that's a pretty good question. I've always assumed it was some kind of skew number but I really don't know now that you mentioned it.

I don't think it's a pattern number because I have Railsplitters that have similar numbers and the pattern number for those is 63 which isn't anywhere in those numbers.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide a picture so folks can see what you're referring to. (click to enlarge)
Attachments
Schatt 1.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Railsplitter wrote:I don't think it's a pattern number because I have Railsplitters that have similar numbers and the pattern number for those is 63 which isn't anywhere in those numbers.
The statement above is incorrect. :oops: I just double checked and the last two numbers on my Railsplitters is in fact 63.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Atomic Rooster 57

Railsplitter wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:I don't think it's a pattern number because I have Railsplitters that have similar numbers and the pattern number for those is 63 which isn't anywhere in those numbers.
The statement above is incorrect. :oops: I just double checked and the last two numbers on my Railsplitters is in fact 63.
Thanks, I'm referring to these Railsplitter
1508526648_51_3.jpg

Bud
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Similar to (but not exactly like) the numbers stamped on the tang of a Great Eastern knife, those numbers identify the knife.

The numbers on your knife -- 043 046 stand for:
Handle material - 04 bone
# of blades - 3
Main blade - 0 Wharncliffe
Knife pattern - 46 ?? What? Whittler?

As you can see below, I ran out of steam and haven't finished the chart. Left click on the image to enlarge it.
Attachments
S&M Model #'s.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Atomic Rooster 57

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

The numbers on your knife -- 043 046 stand for:
Handle material - 04 bone
# of blades - 3
Main blade - 0 Wharncliffe
Knife pattern - 46 ?? What? Whittler?
Thanks Jerry. I've never collected anything but over the decades Ive amassed a drawer full of past EDC's. Some of which I like a heap.

Yes, I guess, 46 is the designation for a whittler. The knife Im looking at is what Case calls Seahorse Whittler, with a Warncliff, coping, and Pen Blades. Do you suppose different Whittler patterns have individual numbers?

I find all this minutia surrounding this hobby educational and captivating Jerry. Not to mention my attraction to blades from childhood indicates I'm in big trouble....lol

Bud

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”