Schatt & Morgan Toothpicks

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Robo

Re: Schatt & Morgan Toothpicks

Post by Robo »

Robo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 pm Sadly, Queen was probably grasping at straws in the end and jumped on to the "Tiny-Toothpick" bandwagon. I can't say for sure if these were made in China or if some of them were and others were made here--Case does this with their TTs. Even the larger, American made S&Ms pale in comparrison to the originals. The problem I think is that when you start packaging everything as a "collector's knife"; or Evoke an old trade mark like "Schatt & Morgan" potential buyers are going to view these knives with a more critical eye. And if they have any amount of savy they're never going to be completely satisfied, even if the knife unto itself is well made, as many are.

Early on I bought a Queen made "Robeson" toothpick with "Strawberry Bone" handles before I really knew anything about Robeson's Toothpicks. I ended up with a knife made with the Queen handle die with these almost bizarre looking orange handles. The irony to me is I've since purchased two Robesons with "Strawberry Bone" and a couple with plastic "strawberry bone". It turns out Robeson was cutting corners after WWII and this was the time that, amongst other cover materials, they began using "strawberry bone"and then plastic "strawberry bone". And they didn't make a "pocketeze" Tickler--probably because the outsized 5 inch knife can't be made to be easy on the pocket!

But retro pakaging and promotion aside, my Queen "Robeson" is a very well made knife. I also have a regular old Queen Toothy from 94 and it's very well made (both have the classic Queen bolsters which are prettier bolsters then any other Toothpick bolsters on the planet). Either would make a great EDC-- and that's what should matter at the end of the day.
Robo

Post by Robo »

Robo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 pm Sadly, Queen was probably grasping at straws in the end and jumped on to the "Tiny-Toothpick" bandwagon. I can't say for sure if these were made in China or if some of them were and others were made here--Case does this with their TTs. Even the larger, American made S&Ms pale in comparrison to the originals. The problem I think is that when you start packaging everything as a "collector's knife"; or Evoke an old trade mark like "Schatt & Morgan" potential buyers are going to view these knives with a more critical eye. And if they have any amount of savy they're never going to be completely satisfied, even if the knife unto itself is well made, as many are.

Early on I bought a Queen made "Robeson" toothpick with "Strawberry Bone" handles before I really knew anything about Robeson's Toothpicks. I ended up with a knife made with the Queen handle die with these almost bizarre looking orange handles. The irony to me is I've since purchased two Robesons with "Strawberry Bone" and a couple with plastic "strawberry bone". It turns out Robeson was cutting corners after WWII and this was the time that, amongst other cover materials, they began using "strawberry bone"and then plastic "strawberry bone". And they didn't make a "pocketeze" Tickler--probably because the outsized 5 inch knife can't be made to be easy on the pocket!

But retro pakaging and promotion aside, my Queen "Robeson" is a very well made knife. I also have a regular old Queen Toothy from 94 and it's very well made (both have the classic Queen bolsters which are prettier bolsters then any other Toothpick bolsters on the planet). Either would make a great EDC-- and that's what should matter at the end of the day.
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

I'm surprised at you people! These small toothpicks have been on flea bay for years. I remember talking to Clarence after seeing them and he told me that someone bought a large number without covers and are trying to finish and sell them. They are Queen made knives and have been on flea bay for over 10 years.

Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
Robo

Post by Robo »

Robo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am
Lansky1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:09 am GIlbert - just picked up a Queen/Robeson tiny toothpick online - fit and finish is top notch. Ever seen one with this kind of unusual jigging pattern ? Thx

q2.jpg

q1.jpg
Also Note the tickler with the fancy bolsters and saber grind blade, this was made by Ulster Knife Company.

Correction! Sticking to my motto that "collectors correct!" I have to correct myself here. The knife with the fancy flat bolsters and sabre grind blade is made by Camillus. I looked at patterns for a couple years trying to figure out who made these and the absolute closest I have come to matching handle dies is the earlier camillus toothpick pattern. There is a lot more explaining needed here, but I was reviewing old posts and when I came upon this one I felt the need to correct it. More later including photos.
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Another original....
IMG_3308 (2).JPG
IMG_3309 (2).JPG

Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”