IDing various series of S&M File & Wire knifes?

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
CampbellAr2

IDing various series of S&M File & Wire knifes?

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Howdy,
I’m a new admirer of the Schatt & Morgan knives that Queen put out, but am definitely lacking background, and am very leery of what I see on eBay being promoted as File & Wire

Is there a good summary out there somewhere that describes what should be found in each of the series....ie shield, etching, tang stamp, etc

Thanks
Ed
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: IDing various series of S&M File & Wire knifes?

Post by kennedy knives »

You can try traditionalpocketknives.com . This is Clarence Risner's site that has a lot of good info he is the one that started the Wire & File from Schatt & Morgan
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

CampbellAr2 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:06 pm Howdy,
I’m a new admirer of the Schatt & Morgan knives that Queen put out, but am definitely lacking background, and am very leery of what I see on eBay being promoted as File & Wire

Is there a good summary out there somewhere that describes what should be found in each of the series....ie shield, etching, tang stamp, etc

Thanks
Ed
You can find the information you need by perusing the various Queen Cutlery catalogs, flyers, and advertisements available for download on the Queen Cutlery History website.

Here: https://queencutleryhistory.com/index.p ... -catalogs/
and
Here: https://queencutleryhistory.com/index.php/flyers-ads/

In my opinion, Queen Cutlery History is by far the best online resource for all things Queen…

Queen Cutlery History homepage: https://queencutleryhistory.com/

Good luck & good health…
Josh

Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Many thanks!
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Of course these knives were made by Queen Cutlery, but actually when Queen bought the S&M building, contents and trademark at a sheriff's auction in August of 1933, they just moved right in!
So these knives and actually all the Queen knives stamped Schatt and Morgan were made with the same dies, tooling and set up that original S&M's were. Made in the exact same way at the exact same stations, using the same exact process, hand made knives!
Queen resurrected the S&M line/stamp in 1991 with their Annual Reproduction Series or Keystone Series.
Bill Howard was the Master Cutler at Queen then and the S&M line was made during his hay-day. They are some of the best traditional pocketknives ever made in both function and fit-finish IMO. And in older patterns nobody else was making.

For those of you who don't know, the "File and Wire Tested" is an exclusive trademark of Schatt and Morgan and is in reference to an old tempering process used before Rockwell hardness testing evolved. A new file was used to cut into a blade, showing that the steel was not to hard and brittle, and testing the edge by cutting a wire of a certain consistency and hardness.

The File and Wire Series started in 1998 with the 1st offering a Folding Hunter.
There were 5 patterns in Series #1, I believe each pattern was only produced for 6 months before moving on to the next pattern. The Hunter was the only knife not offered in ATS-34 but rather 440C or 420HC depending on who you talk to. All 5 patterns in Series #1 had Brunt Red Worm groove jigged bone covers, nickle silver bolsters and a Saturn shield.
Folding Hunter, Pattern #041883
IMG_0415.JPG
The 2nd knife is a Clip point swing guard Lockback...... #04111L
IMG_0421.JPG
The 3rd knife is an English Jack.... #042229
IMG_0417.JPG
The rest to follow...
Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

4th knife is a Swaybelly Trapper #042101
IMG_0418.JPG
5th and last knife of the 1st Series is a Toothpick #041120
IMG_0413.JPG
The second series next!

Dave
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

The Second Series also had 5 patterns. They all have brighter Red Worm groove jigged bone covers, not burnt like in the 1st Series. Same S&M Saturn shield, N/S bolsters, ATS-34 blade steel. My pics are pretty dark, the bone color shows up best on the Teardrop.

1st knife is a Reverse Gunstock Stockman #043150
IMG_0428.JPG
2nd knife is a Teardrop Jack #042206
IMG_0425.JPG
3rd knife is a Signature Bolster Congress #044431
IMG_0426.JPG
4th knife is a Spear point Swing Guard Lockback #04121L
IMG_0422.JPG
5th knife is a Signature Bolster Sunfish #042265
IMG_0431.JPG

Dave
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

The 3rd Series also had 5 knives, they sport Goldenroot Wormgroove jigged bone handles, Saturn shield and N/S blosters.

1st knife Queen calls a "Mountain Man" it is a lock back #04113L
IMG_0439.JPG
2nd knife is a Signature Bolster English Jack #042129
IMG_0435.JPG
3rd knife is a Gunstock #041140
IMG_0441.JPG
4th knife is a Sleeveboard Whittler #043213
IMG_0433.JPG
5th knife is a smaller Toothpick than was released in the 1st Series. #041812
IMG_0437.JPG
Dave
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

I knew that I had posted all these knives someplace before.....
So here's a link that's on the "Queen" forum!

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15462

Perhaps one of the mods can move these relevant threads over here? ::hmm::

Dave

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”