It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
cudgee

Re: It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Post by cudgee »

texoma wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:27 am If the beginning runs are a pattern I like I would also buy, Risner at TPK is the only dealer I’ve seen advertising that their coming in 2021. I wonder how many more dealers will be involved.
That would probably depend on manufacturing numbers and their marketing strategy, i would think one or two distributors to start with, and see how it pans out. ::hmm::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:14 pm
rea1eye wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:56 pm Perhaps management and some of the line workers should go to Sweden
to see their line up. Everything said in the video seems to be spot

Bob
But in reality, only part of the info in the video would apply from a company making fixed blade knives to a company making multi blade folding knives. The fixed blade has only a few non moving parts. The multi blade pocket knife has many parts, most of which have to be fitted precisely and adjusted as needed. This is where the most costly part of a pocket knife comes from, the precision hand labor fitting and adjusting to make it work correctly. When I said earlier in this thread that I was trying to picture a robot making a pocket knife, I was referring to the whole process, including the fitting of the
Yes you are correct. I did not think this one through all the way My wife said I could never multi-task correctly.
I was watching TV with her and reading the forum at the same time. ::doh::

Bob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As OC alluded to (if I interpreted his meaning correctly) we should worry less about the patterns they make and more about where they will get a workforce with the skills to execute a well made knife. In tandem with that is their devotion to Quality Control. In my mind, it makes no difference what patterns they make if those two items are a hot mess.

Anyone have any S&M's that Queen made during the 1990-2010 era? That may help predict the patterns they have in mind. Maybe. Now if what ever they make is that quality.............

JMO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:05 pm As OC alluded to (if I interpreted his meaning correctly) we should worry less about the patterns they make and more about where they will get a workforce with the skills to execute a well made knife. In tandem with that is their devotion to Quality Control. In my mind, it makes no difference what patterns they make if those two items are a hot mess.

Anyone have any S&M's that Queen made during the 1990-2010 era? That may help predict the patterns they have in mind. Maybe. Now if what ever they make is that quality.............

JMO
::tu::
Roger
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

It would be hard to null to compare any older Queen made knife to any startup. I just think it's great that we have another USA made knife to possibly choose from. Yes the workforce matters a lot to produce a quality knife, that post did mention knives were being made in that area so there must be some level of talent. If they start out small with select workers it might be a good thing, look at Eric at Albers Cutlery, he's a one man show and his reviews are off the wall positive for one of his knives. Again, if it's a pattern I like, reasonable price, I'll try the new S&M brand otherwise I'll sit back and listen to the reviews. Good luck to all, 2021 is coming fast.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

texoma wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:35 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 am
texoma wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:34 am I would like to see a harness jack but doubt that will happen in the beginning runs.
My memory is not the greatest but there’s another thread where Cooper or someone else involved with this start up sheds light on the rumors, the old equipment he purchased and moving it all to the new shop. If I find it I’ll post the link.
That would be interesting. ::handshake::
I think this is the link I was talking about, it was awhile ago, I thought there was more to it but it’s enough info from Gilbert.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62295&p=756510#p756510
On reading the link you posted, and this only my thought process, it sounds very much like steady as she goes. It reads as,there has been delays, with the release date put back, but after seeing glimpses on a website i would expect to see them in early 2021. And it also reads as a small selection of patterns, maybe one or two, and numbers produced. But that is only my read on it, but i am fairly confident all going well we should be seeing them early next year. Hears hoping anyway.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

cudgee wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm
texoma wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:35 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 am
That would be interesting. ::handshake::
I think this is the link I was talking about, it was awhile ago, I thought there was more to it but it’s enough info from Gilbert.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62295&p=756510#p756510
On reading the link you posted, and this only my thought process, it sounds very much like steady as she goes. It reads as,there has been delays, with the release date put back, but after seeing glimpses on a website i would expect to see them in early 2021. And it also reads as a small selection of patterns, maybe one or two, and numbers produced. But that is only my read on it, but i am fairly confident all going well we should be seeing them early next year. Hears hoping anyway.
I read it as a positive post to have another USA knife maker back in the game. Time will tell.
Frank

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I have a sneaky suspicion there may well be another well known retailer involved in the distribution of the new S&M's, and they may well hit the market sooner than we think. But that is just pure speculation based on something i saw. But i may be reading too much into it. But i am really looking forward to seeing these being released, as i'm sure everyone else is. Have a good week all. :)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cudgee wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:00 am I have a sneaky suspicion there may well be another well known retailer involved in the distribution of the new S&M's, and they may well hit the market sooner than we think. But that is just pure speculation based on something i saw. But i may be reading too much into it. But i am really looking forward to seeing these being released, as i'm sure everyone else is. Have a good week all. :)

Please explain.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am
cudgee wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:00 am I have a sneaky suspicion there may well be another well known retailer involved in the distribution of the new S&M's, and they may well hit the market sooner than we think. But that is just pure speculation based on something i saw. But i may be reading too much into it. But i am really looking forward to seeing these being released, as i'm sure everyone else is. Have a good week all. :)

Please explain.
Well i put 2 + 2 together and came up with ? No, it is just my of thinking. I saw a post on another forum, from a well known retailer. He did not say anything, but it was the way he expressed not saying anything, that just got my attention, i read it as things are about to happen, but i could be wrong. But my gut feeling says, we will be hearing something shortly. ::hmm::
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I agree with you guys, if they make a good quality knife I am going to be a buyer (even if I don't need it... ::suspense:: like maybe some 200 or 300 hundred other knives I own ::facepalm:: ). I will support them with them 'Ol hard erned $$$ in my pocket!!! ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That is what the general consensus of opinion out there seems to be. ::tu::
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I’m hoping this works out for Gilbert and the new S&M brand is top notch, we collectors and users need more USA made knife choices because I’m tired of chasing a GEC or Northwoods knife. Yes it might hurt my collection value but my passion for traditional knives is slowly but surely loosing interest unless something changes.
Frank

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Article in Knife World on Knife News States that they will return in 2021 and that Every Knife and every part will be made and assembled in the USA ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
They have a full page ad on the 3rd page .
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:38 am Article in Knife World on Knife News States that they will return in 2021 and that Every Knife and every part will be made and assembled in the USA ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
::tu:: :)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:38 am Article in Knife World on Knife News States that they will return in 2021 and that Every Knife and every part will be made and assembled in the USA ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
If the knife in the add is going to be the first pattern they make, I will definitely buy one.
David
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yippee!
::ds::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

edge213 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 am
If the knife in the add is going to be the first pattern they make, I will definitely buy one.
Can you take a picture of the ad with the knife in it and post it?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

That's the same knife they have on their facebook page so I would think it may be # 1
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:36 am
Not very good but it will have to do for the night ::handshake:: Gary
Attachments
IMG_2483.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:36 am
Sorry Jerry I just saw this but it got posted.
In the picture it looks like the shield is MOP.
Could just be the picture.
David
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I might have to splurge a bit on that if it ain't ridiculously priced. ::woot::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I hope there will enough to go around.
I won't play the Northwoods/GEC game.
David
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bighomer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm I might have to splurge a bit on that if it ain't ridiculously priced. ::woot::
I suspect my friend, and this is only my opinion, that the knife pictured may just be an advertising photo. Just my opinion though. ::shrug:: ::handshake::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

You may be right. I've never made a knife but a one bladed jack would seem to be simpler to get right than a multi blade, and jacks are like by most folks.
Seems it would be a good one to get the ball rolling so to speak. ::shrug:: ::handshake::

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”